mr.hicksta

mr.hicksta's path to a single digit handicap!

3 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Some really great advice here and much of it are things I might have said though some of you guys are more knowledgeable and eloquent than I. Perhaps the only things I would add are having a "go-to" shot when you simply must hit a fairway or green. There are times when the wheels are falling off and just have to get the ball in the hole. I have shots that I know will work off the tee, into greens and around the greens that are reliable. They aren't always pretty and certainly aren't the longest but they work and I know they work. The other thing is the mental side. I used to get way ahead of myself when things were going well and really down on myself when things were going poorly but it's important to stay in the moment. The next shot is the one that matters - that attitude will help you bounce back after a bad hole and keep the ball rolling after a good one. I've heard lots of players through the years say things like "I was playing way out of my depth for a while" and before long they bogey or double a few and they are back where they are comfortable. Start working on getting comfortable going lower than you ever have - it's amazing how much of a difference that makes.

I look forward to seeing you achieve your goals and it's nice to be able to share it with you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like this will really help me with what you've said about the mental aspect of keeping level and getting comfortable.

• Like 2

So I made a couple decisions this weekend related to my efforts. First, I decided to make Fit For Golf my primary training. That move saves me $150 a month, and frees up my schedule so I have more time to practice or play. The other thing I decided on was getting a couple short game/putting lessons from a certain pro at Kapolei Golf Club who I’ve heard is legit. I really think if I can clean up that area it’ll help me drop strokes quick. Of course everything else is a work in progress and I continue to be excited about taking steps towards achieving this goal!

• Like 5

Love the point about the mental side, because I tend to get down on myself from time to time. As a matter of fact, I've really focused on just taking things in stride these last few months because my game hasn't been very good. I'm pretty good about it for the most part, but it's definitely something I have to remind myself of when a round isn't going that well. And that's also a very good point about getting comfortable going low. Birdie putts or the occasional eagle look are always uncomfortable so I need treat them like any other putt and not do anything out of the ordinary! 
Glad to hear about your training refocus and imminent lessons, best of luck!

As for the anxiety that a birdie or eagle putt may invite, I battle the same. What works best for me is to treat them as putts to save par.

If left to my own devices, I hope to make that birdie and hope ever more for that eagle.

But a putt to save par? Man... I'm so often pissed that I missed the prior putt that I REALLY hone in and demand of myself to make THIS one.

When I manage to fool myself and treat the birdie/eagle similarly? Good things happen.

You and I have the skills. Sometimes we just need to manipulate a key to unlock our ability and potential.

Whatever works!!!
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, mr.hicksta said:

Funny you mention that, because I was listening to the Golf Science Lab podcast with Scott Stallings the other day and he specifically mentioned getting deadly from inside 50-100 yards being a major key to his improvement!

Deadly from a scoring or making birdie perspective.  The best in the business average 50% with a few a bit above.  When they win they can average north of 75 or 80%!  Why?  Because when they win they hit a bunch of greens.  Pretty easy to get up and down 2 of 3 times when you hit 15 greens.  You want to lower the handicap, learn to hit a ton of greens.  Lower the score  more by learning to birdie a couple of holes inside 100 yards.  

• Like 4

12.1 as of the 9/1 revision. I'll be getting my weekly 18 along with 9 during the week from here on out. That instructor is on Maui now so those short game lessons aren't happening as I'm skeptical about online golf lessons now. Either way, I'm pressing forward and will figure out the lessons part when I can find a coach to work with in person. 

• Like 5

On 8/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, mr.hicksta said:

..Scott Stallings .. specifically mentioned getting deadly from inside 50-100 yards being a major key to his improvement!

Still have to listen to that...

But wanted to mention I've been playing Par 3s a bunch this season; the courses are more than pitch & putts so you still have to make good golf shots to hit the greens, or else to get up and down.

It's great practice - even while you're playing golf - and has definitely helped me get better with the irons and wedges. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Still have to listen to that...

But wanted to mention I've been playing Par 3s a bunch this season; the courses are more than pitch & putts so you still have to make good golf shots to hit the greens, or else to get up and down.

It's great practice - even while you're playing golf - and has definitely helped me get better with the irons and wedges. 

That's a good point, and there's an exec course here in Virginia Beach that I used to practice at regularly so I'll be getting out there a couple times while I'm out this way!

• Like 1

As of the 9/15 revision my index is 12.6. While my index is creeping up, I have seen some positives in my game. Just gotta keep at it! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

As of the 9/15 revision my index is 12.6. While my index is creeping up, I have seen some positives in my game. Just gotta keep at it! 

Having seen you play,  I know hit the ball well enough to be single digit you just need to get all aspects of game working together consistently. 

• Like 2

I had a great lesson with @edteergolf yesterday! It’s obviously not going to be an overnight change, but with some grinding I’ll see improvements. 🏌🏽‍♂️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:

I had a great lesson with @edteergolf yesterday! It’s obviously not going to be an overnight change, but with some grinding I’ll see improvements. 🏌🏽‍♂️emoji95.pngemoji466.png

Glad to hear your lesson went well and have fun at Bay Creek today

• Like 1

So my time in Va Beach resulted in me working with a new swing coach, @edteergolf, and signing up to work with a putting coach as well. I knew the former was happening, but the latter was a bit of a surprise so I'm excited to see how things go. Now that my bag is fully intact, I'm going to bust my ass to see how much I can improve moving forward. It's time to grind!!!

• Like 2