GolfSpy MPR

How much change in your bag this season?

Finding what works (see thread for scoring rules)  

845 members have voted

1. 1. How many points do you get for keeping your bag consistent this season?

• 0-4: I change clubs more often than socks.
    • 5-8: Every piece of equipment is always on notice.
    • 9-12: Liking gear is part of liking golf.
    • 13-16: Steady-ish.
    • 17-20: I've found what works for me

The leaves are just begun to show a hint of color here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We're down to our last couple months of the season. Sniffle.

So it's time for the annual assessment: how much did you bag setup change since the beginning of the year? Let's score this out of 20:

• 14 clubs
  • Bag
  • Ball
  • Distance device
  • Glove
  • Shoes
  • Wildcard

Since it's my thread, I'll propose the rules. To get a point for a club, it had to be in your bag from the first round of the year and still be in your bag now. Balls and gloves are (obviously) not required to be the exact same, but they need to be the same brand/model. I suppose if your ball is "whatever I find," and you're still playing whatever you find, you get that point.

For shoes, you get the point if you're wearing shoes that were in your collection at the beginning of the season. Any new pair of shoes loses the point.

The wildcard covers the rest of the golf accessories, and is up to your judgment. Did you add a new pushcart? You probably lose that point.

So for me:

• FW: dropped my Callaway X2Hot Pro 4w for a TaylorMade M4 3HL
  • Hybrid: will be dropping my Callaway XR Pro 20° for an Adams XTD Ti 20° when it is delivered
  • SW and LW: a Callaway MD3 and PM Grind replaced by Cleveland RTX-3 CBs
  • Putter: Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer replaced by an Odyssey EXO Indianapolis S
  • Ball: Finishing up my Q Star Tours, but bought a nice supply of Z Star XVs. I'll keep the point for now.
  • Distance device: added my Precision Pro NX9 HD from MGS testing!

The theme of my club substitutions is continuing to add forgiveness to my bag. Dumping the "Pro" edition FW and hybrid and picking up the cavity-backed wedges are ways of admitting that I need help, and being increasingly unashamed of that.

So if I'm right, I think I'm getting 14/20 points.

How about the rest of you?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I started the year with 16 clubs, 14 of which I use at a time.  The same 16 are still in my arsenal.  Albeit, I bought a used driver to try, but sold it shortly afterward.  

I changed balls after the MGS test came out.  

Gloves don't matter much to me.  I switched from Callaway gloves from Costco to Kirkland gloves from Costco.  

Everything else remains the same, except for clothing.  I had to buy all new shirts, shorts, and pants because I have gone down two sizes since the beginning of the year.  

I have no idea how you score that.  

Edited by alfriday101
  • Like 2

15/20 16/20* with an *

Driver: Added Epic Flash SZ replacing Rogue

5W: Added Epic Flash SZ replacing p790 UDI

Putter: Added Bettinardi SS 28 Slotback CS replacing ER3

Bag: Added SM CS 130 replacing Callaway org 14

Shoes: Added Ecco Biom Hybrid 3 boa replacing Speith 1. * comes due to the fact that the Speith's fell apart after 2.5 years. 

All of this is a huge subject to change as I have a fitting scheduled in 8 days. 

• Like 1

Ok, I'll give it an actual shot.   But knowing that I had a full bag fititng/challenge to begin the year, I'm gong to start with that, not counting what was in the bag before the PING challenge.  Otherwise it would be a seriously in the negative, but a bit flawed.

• 14 clubs -5 points (7w,9w, 5 & 6 hybrid) 
  • Bag-0 points
  • Ball-1 Point ProV1 X all year
  • Distance device-1 point for Bushnell Hybrid bought last August, added arccos in May, But I still use both, so I'm keeping the Pt.
  • Glove-Don't use a glove
  • Shoes -2  Started with Puma Sport Grips, but added Foot Joy Fury and Adidas Tour 360, rotate between the 3
  • Wildcard 1  point. -I have the same Compass Pointe Divot Tool that I started using last year

So by my math i have 6/20 points.  I'm sure that will come in near the very bottom 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Added a new putter Betty QB9
Taylor Made MG 52
Taylor Made HiToe 60
And tested the Tour Edge CBX119 17* that’s still in the bag.

Each of these are still in the bag and booted their predecessors.

I’m not one who changes much but I hate hate hated my wedges and shook up the entire world. Chose something I never would have to really just go 180.

The CBX surprised me and it’s filled a wonderful gap.

As far as the putter goes, it’s much better for my stroke with the way it’s balanced. And it has a grip from my grandpas old stock so the sentimental value is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Someone else do the math for me.

Driver: TM M5 bought during Ohio off season, still in the bag
FW: Still rocking the Mizuno JPX-EZ (but it will be replaced before next season)
Hybrids: Bridgestone Tour B JGR's got knocked out by the TE CBX-119
4-GW: Still rocking the Bridgestone Tour B JGR's
SW: Still wielding the Cleveland Smartsole S
Putter: Yes! Tracy is still hanging around after 12 years.
Shoes: Puma Grip Fusion...replacement pair from Puma under warranty. Still the same model and colour.
Bag: Sun Mountain C130...probably replacing it by the start of next season
Balls: Snell, just the MTB-X instead of the MTB Black.
Distance device: Switched from using GolfPad to ShotScope about mid season.

I think I've got 8 points...

But but.....getting new clubs is part of the fun of playing golf!  They should be adding points, not subtracting!!!!  Since it's your thread, I'll play by your rules.  Besides, it enforces my goal of finding one set that I can count on, always.  This year was a pretty stable one so I might do pretty well.

• Clubs (12.5)
    • Same irons, wedges, FW, and hybrid.  (12)
    • New driver, G410+ (-1)
    • Bought a new putter but I subsequently sold it because it couldn't knock out the MLA.  (-.5)
  • Bag (1)
    • Steady Eddie OGIO Pisa has continued to impress.  Another year and no signs of wear.
  • Ball (.5)
    • I'm not a "play whatever I find" kind of guy but I do consistently rotate the ball I'm playing.  I'll meet you halfway.
  • Distance device (1)
    • Still Arccos true and will continue to be as long as they keep adding feature.
  • Glove (.75)
    • Same as balls.  I play one until it's worn out.  Had a Ping Tour glove for most of the summer but have a few in the rotation exploring a replacement now that that one is toast. I'm a big fan of change.  
  • Shoes (1.25)
    • I added but did not delete any shoes.  Giving myself bonus points.
  • Wildcard (1.5)
    • MIL gave me a new umbrella but I haven't even used it yet, nor did I use my old one very much.  Everything else is surprisingly the same down to my divot tool and tees.  Surely new apparel doesn't count.  Bonus points again!

So that's a great total of 18.5/20.  I'm actually quite proud of a little consistency.  If you would've asked the same question in 2018, I think it would've only been like 5/20 as I changed almost everything.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I just checked.....I have 87 cents change in my bag as of today.  OK, I admit that I didn't read the rules.  🙂

I lost track of my points as the only thing I started the year out with and still use is the bag and my 3 wood.  Driver, if you don't count a new shaft.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

EDIT: Poll added!

Clubs: Irons, putter, Driver, wedges, UDI all the same (+14)

Bag: New bag purchased in middle of season (-1)

Ball: Usually Prov1x, if I run out I use what i have left (+1)

Distance device: Bushnell tour v4 purchase mid season (-1) shoutout @THEZIPR23

Glove: same Titleist as normal (+1)

Shoes: Added a new pair of Speith 2 shoes (-1)

Total: 17/20

All in all, not a terrible score. Kept things fairly consistent throughout the season. Had I calculated this year I would have had probable 5 points as I go new everything lol.

Another shoutout to @GolfSpy STUDque for the format😂

Been a heck of a year for me to get back into golf.

• 14 clubs
  • Bag
  • Ball
  • Distance device
  • Glove
  • Shoes
  • Wildcard

I'll save the forum the word fort it would require to explain, but new irons, new 3w, new putter, new bag, new shoes, new glove, new ball, so on and so forth.

2/14 club points

0/4 bag, ball, glove, shoes points

0/1 Distance Device (18Birdies GPS app)

1/1 Wildcard. Tees, ball marker, and underwear are all the same.

3/20 points.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Zero, nothing has stayed the same except my 3 wood, and my range finder..nothing else. New shoes, new putters, new irons, new driver, new hybrid. New bag. New clothes, new ball. Now that I write that all out, it’s no wonder my game is in the toilet. 

• Haha 4

Before I start counting backwards...how many negative points does a 60* wedge disappearing count for? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Every club that started the season is still there, same bag, same ball-ish (I'm still playing whatever I find, but limiting myself to 3+ piecer's now), same distance device, same glove, same shoes, same...everything else? Including clothes haha.

I did, however, start off the season with only a PW, and added a 52* and 60* wedge, so I guess I'll say I lost 1.5 points there.

18.5 points, and many greenbacks saved! But they are getting increasingly more impatient...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Every club that started the season is still there, same bag, same ball-ish (I'm still playing whatever I find, but limiting myself to 3+ piecer's now), same distance device, same glove, same shoes, same...everything else? Including clothes haha.

I did, however, start off the season with only a PW, and added a 52* and 60* wedge, so I guess I'll say I lost 1.5 points there.

18.5 points, and many greenbacks saved! But they are getting increasingly more impatient...

Image result for darth vader approves gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lets see...

New bag -1

New putter -1

New ball -1 

Total 17...

• Like 1

Ummm that’s gross that leaves are changing already. I thought MA was bad enough.

I got a new bag (warranty replacement) so I guess .5 points there. And had my putter fitted, but just modified my existing putter, so another .5 there.

Got new gloves but same model (I go through about 3-4 a season. Same ball but ordered more. I don’t think I get points for that.

Rangefinder was updated! So full point there.

So I guess I get a 2.

I’ll be due for wedges and maybe a driver next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 14 clubs
    • Driver - same
    • 3 wood - same
    • 2 and 3 hybrid - same
    • 5-GW - different
    • Sand wedge same
    • lob wedge - same
    • putter - different
  • Bag - same
  • Ball - don't play a specific ball so same,  but won't give myself points
  • Distance device - same
  • Glove - no glove or rain glove,  but haven't replaced the one I started the year with
  • Shoes - same 
  • Wildcard - all other accessories are the same

Looks like a 10 to me.  

• Like 2