Pro V1.. Penta.. Z-Star..

Our Sponsors

I hit the ball realtively high and average 240ish off the tee and just wondering which ball would be best. I play regularly in very windy coniditions and mainly game the Pro V1X but I am thinking of changing to Z-stars or Penta's.. or others? Whats other peoples thoughts on these balls in the wind and distance wise.. Thanks!

I have never gamed the Zstars, but I have played ProVs and Pentas. I must say that I am absolutely in love with the Pentas. I had to throw ProVs out after 9 holes, from the cover being shredded. I bought a sleeve of Pentas last summer and I just broke out the second ball; the only reason I took the first one out of play is because I put a nice big cart path scuff on it. I played 8 full rounds with the first ball and it had nothing more than a few small scuffs on it. I don't notice any difference in trajectory, distance, or spin; just a major upgrade on durability.

I haven't played any of the new Pro V's (still a couple feet of snow on the ground in MN), but I did play last years along with the Penta's and Z-Star Yellow. Of the three I actually preferred both the Z-Star and the Penta over the Pro V.

Pro V - Great spin, good distance, but I scuffed it on almost every full swing wedge shot. They just didn't last. (Vokey spin milled wedges)

Penta - Great spin, great distance (It felt longer than the Pro V or Z-Star, but I don't have any true evidence to back it up) I thought this was a great ball

Z-Star - I really loved the yellow. To me they seemed like a great all around ball. I was getting great distance out of them, they didn't spin quite as much as the Pro V or Penta, but it felt like they held up much better. I could play a few rounds with them (when I didn't lose a ball) and they wouldn't be completely scuffed up like the Pro V's

Anyway, just my opinions.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

This year's Z Star is a really nice ball. It is the same as last year's Japan only Z Star XV model. Got a sleeve in tour yellow and I love them.

BTW, 120mph swing speed is not required to play a tour ball. Average tour speed is no where near that high. Plus, Bridgestone has great tour balls (330RX and RX-S) that are designed for the slower swinger.

You can also check out the info from the Titleist ball fitting online tool to get matched to a ball.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...