Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Swing flaws pros never have

Big money

A rival website espouses a system of simple keys, specific things that are present in every good golf swing.  You could look at a relatively steady head, getting the weight on the forward leg at impact, and a relatively straight line from shoulder to clubhead at impact.  Every single Tour player does all three of these consistently well.

To translate that into faults, you don't see these guys sway significantly, you don't see them falling away from the target at impact, and as you suggest, you don't see early extension or casting.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'd say that if we could follow each player on every shot throughout the day we'd see many "amateur" moves on the ball from time to time. Those guys hit plenty of bad shots. It's just that we don't get to see that many of them. Granted, these amateur moves might not be as pronounced.... but they make them. Everyone including the best in the game get out of sync sometimes. And when that happens you'll see all sorts of funky movements and poor results.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

43 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'd say that if we could follow each player on every shot throughout the day we'd see many "amateur" moves on the ball from time to time. Those guys hit plenty of bad shots. It's just that we don't get to see that many of them. Granted, these amateur moves might not be as pronounced.... but they make them. Everyone including the best in the game get out of sync sometimes. And when that happens you'll see all sorts of funky movements and poor results.

I agree that they all hit poor shots from time to time.  But I wonder if we really could see a different move, or if the differences are so small as to be nearly invisible.  I've always wondered if Peter Kostis could tell the difference between two swings of the same player without knowing in advance what the results of the swings were.  After all, we can all hit great shots with our own individually flawed swings, and those flaws are always there, even when we get the good results.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I agree that they all hit poor shots from time to time.  But I wonder if we really could see a different move, or if the differences are so small as to be nearly invisible.  I've always wondered if Peter Kostis could tell the difference between two swings of the same player without knowing in advance what the results of the swings were.  After all, we can all hit great shots with our own individually flawed swings, and those flaws are always there, even when we get the good results.

There’s some minor ones see would see. Adam Scott used to move towards the ball a little. They get stuck in the downswing especially tiger, rory and Rickie 

webb Simpson is know for a shank pretty frequently. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s some minor ones see would see. Adam Scott used to move towards the ball a little. They get stuck in the downswing especially tiger, rory and Rickie 

We hear about these problems, but are they really visible on video?  Or are they diagnosed based on the player's normal swing pattern and on the result?  Just a simple example is the shank, the difference is something like a half-inch in clubhead path, do you think the cause for the shank would be apparent on video in the sequence leading up to impact?  Getting stuck, don't these players flirt with that on every swing, based on their standard swing mechanics?  Occasionally they'll get a few millimeters or milliseconds off, with a resulting bad shot, but I'm not sure the difference could be noted on video.

Again, I'd love to see Peter Kostis be tested this way.  Give him two videos of the same player, tell him one produced a good shot, one a bad shot (don't specify what the bad shot is) and let him look at the two videos and show the difference.  This won't happen, they want to keep his reputation as a swing expert, but I'd be surprised if he could tell the difference.  And I don't mean anything bad about Kostis, I think he does a good and entertaining job.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Their swing flaws are there they are just so much smaller than us mere mortals. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

The Rick Shanks are wondrous to watch. So pure, and the follow through is perfect.

27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

We hear about these problems, but are they really visible on video?  Or are they diagnosed based on the player's normal swing pattern and on the result?  Just a simple example is the shank, the difference is something like a half-inch in clubhead path, do you think the cause for the shank would be apparent on video in the sequence leading up to impact?  Getting stuck, don't these players flirt with that on every swing, based on their standard swing mechanics?  Occasionally they'll get a few millimeters or milliseconds off, with a resulting bad shot, but I'm not sure the difference could be noted on video.

Again, I'd love to see Peter Kostis be tested this way.  Give him two videos of the same player, tell him one produced a good shot, one a bad shot (don't specify what the bad shot is) and let him look at the two videos and show the difference.  This won't happen, they want to keep his reputation as a swing expert, but I'd be surprised if he could tell the difference.  And I don't mean anything bad about Kostis, I think he does a good and entertaining job.

Watching guys get stuck is pretty visible in tv and in the shot when it happens. Is it close on every swing for Tiger it was more prevelant but he played it well. For Rickie and Rory it’s when they get quick in transition so a lot fewer occurrences although prior to working with the Harmon’s it was an issue for Rickie.

adam Scott would be hard because it was subtle. 

I personally could care less if kostis or anyone did a comparison or even if they have a flaw. We all know that there is no perfect swing and even the best make a bad swing. Sure they are more mechanically sound than amateurs and their miss on the face is minute compared to where and how often amateurs miss.

their big miss comes from a double cross or because of speed goes further offline

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with Dave - I bet Kostis would be unable to catch it.

I guess I’m wondering where this is coming from. The secret to a good swing is that it’s repeatable - we see plenty of swings that aren’t exactly orthodox but that repeat.

The secret to being a great player is not only the repeatability but also the ability to score off of your less than perfect shots.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD