Golfspy_CG2

Testers ANNOUNCED PING G410 Irons

Our Sponsors

Way to go Ping Testers......Ballplayer, gregB and Rickp.......expecting great reviews ahead.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Good luck to the winners. After looking at them today at the local shop, I’m about 110% sure I could not bag them. It’s just not what I’m looking for in any way (replacement for my i3-blades). What I wouldn’t give for a new set of i3 blades built exactly how I want them...

2 hours ago, Justin Morehead said:

Justin Morehead/ Lufkin, TX 

handicap: +4.4

Irons in play: Titleist ap2 718 

carry distance of 7 iron: 178 

appreciate the opportunity 

hey Justin- the testers have been chosen for this one already. Stick around though as there will no doubt be many other MGS opportunities.

Welcome to the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know we are all anxiously awaiting the start of this test. While we do that, I'll share with the forum group the questions I'll be going over with my fitter when we reach that stage.

1. Ball flight. These are a different category of iron than my previous two sets. The Mizuno  JPX850 Forged, and my current gamers the Hogan PTx are more in the niche of Players Distance irons where the G410 leans more toward Game Improvement. My current iron ball flight is already fairly high. My concern with the G410 is that it will wind up being too high so we will probably be tweaking the shaft choices to dial in the ball flight.

2. Swing weight differences. Looking at the specs, my current irons stay at D2 in the 4 thru 9 iron, then progress to D3 in the wedges. The G410 specs start at D0 in the long irons and have more progression to D2 in the U-wedge. Again, shaft selection may alter that a bit, but I'm very interested to see if I can even tell the difference and what difference it will make performance wise. Right now I'm a little leery of pulling the 4-iron, not that I need to very often.

3. Gapping the low end of the bag. Right now I've got pretty solid distance gapping between my PW and gap wedge. The Hogan PW is 45* and my first wedge is 50* and that gives me 125 and 110 respectively. I'm a bit worried the distance engineering of the Pings will alter that gap. Not sure how far into the wedges Ping is setting us up with, but my going-in expectation is 4-PW or 4-UW.

I'll have more for the discussion once the review thread is up and running, but those are my thoughts starting out. This is gonna be a lot of fun!

• Like 3

Can't wait for you guys to post your Stage 1 & 2's. I have always favored Ping and currently have a 410 SFT driver in my bag which I LOVE. Unfortunately and major disappointment  - when I got fit earlier this year the D-7's were better for me than the 410's. Since my game has improved over the summer and I didn't buy the D-7's (my wife's new clubs were a higher priority) maybe I'll go get refit this winter. 

• Like 4

Great group of testers - do great guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Congrats guys! I’m looking forward to hearing how they work out for you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just a heads up to the forum.  Like the long game gapping testing.  We are arranging for the testers to be fit by PING.  So it may take a bit before they get the irons and stage ones for up. 

• Like 6

Just a heads up to the forum.  Like the long game gapping testing.  We are arranging for the testers to be fit by PING.  So it may take a bit before they get the irons and stage ones for up. 

As tough as it may be Patience, a lot of Patience

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

Looking forward to your reviews. Was hoping to get to try these as upgrade to my G15, bit will get to eat some popcorn 🍿 and watch the show 

• Like 3

Congrats guys...glad to see a Lefty in the group as well 

Looking forward to your posts

• Like 4

Should be a great set of reviews, but I think it's time to lock this application thread up.

• Like 1