TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson FG Tour Irons (VIDEO)

GolfSpy_X

These irons are not half bad. Too bad Wilson is fighting such a branding Issue right now.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

That's a really attractive club...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Yes they are...although they are working on it.

These irons are not half bad. Too bad Wilson is fighting such a branding Issue right now.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Their new tour ball is quite good, but because it is "Wilson" many people won't look twice at it.

It would be very scary if Wilson dropped their golf lines...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I can remember when there was a set of Fat Shafts in every group that I played in. And before that, It was Wilson Staffs. What happened to them??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I hit them yesterday. For a CB club, they feel quite good.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I can remember when there was a set of Fat Shafts in every group that I played in. And before that, It was Wilson Staffs. What happened to them??

I tihnk part of it was they went to the wal-,art's and k-marts of the world blowing out starter sets for 99 to 129. Now, that is not bad in and of itself but if people only associate your brand with that and "super-ti" golf balls...well it would make it tough.

As for how that all happened, i am not sure and would be very interested in knowing.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

I really like the looks of these. Hopefully Wilson can start getting their clubs in some of the higher end retail chains so more people to see them. I'd like to be able to demo a few of their products but they are hard to come by locally.

I have always been a big fan of Wilson Staff and have quite a few sets including '85 fluid feels, Fg17, FG51's. They are all excellent forgings but I wonder if these new forgings stand up to the quality of the past.The more recent FG59's and Fi5's I have seem ok too. Where are these F Tours forged? I got a set of Pi7's and of course they are cast in China, but I wasn't that happy with them. They played ok but the finish deteriorated very quickly. After 5 rounds the faces were quite marked and I play on a good quality, well turfed course. The design looks ok with this new model but do they have the tight grain structure in the forging that is the hallmark of all the top quality Japanese forgings these days?

Cobra S2 9.5 with Aldila Voodoo reg.

Sonartec SS 3.5 14* with Fuji tour platform.

TM V-Steel 18* 5 wood with stock reax stiff shaft.

Sonartec HB-001 21* hybrid with graphite design stiff.

4-pw KZG Evolution irons with Rifle 5.0 Flighted.

TM rac gap wedge 52/8 with DG wedge flex.

Mizuno MPT 10 56* sw with DG wedge flex.

Knockoff 2 ball putter.

ProV1 or Bridgestone 330RX.

Wilson has an uphill battle, but if they stick to their guns I think their products will get them over the top when all is said and done. They do make some quality irons and quality golf balls, but I think they need a solid entry into the driver and fairway wood category to help get them to the next level.

Archived