TESTERS WANTED! ×

Butternut Farm Golf Club, Stowe MA

Splunge26

Haven’t done one of these in a while, if ever, so bear with me.

Butternut Hills Golf Club is a fine course in Stowe Massachusetts. Bit off the beaten path, but well worth the drive if your north of Boston.

This course takes every New England forest track trope and turns it up to 11, this is maybe the tightest most tree lined course I’ve ever played.

The full 18 (par 70) is full of character, and each hole is very different from the last. Great mix of holes and variety’s of length.

My favorite par 4 was the 8th. A short short par 4 that is drivable if you have the balls. The fairway starts after carrying 195 yards of water. The fairway moves diagonally from the tee’s perspective from right to lefty with water all the way up the left side. The front of the green is only 268 yards, but you need to carry it the full distance to not put it into the hazard. I was able to dive the green, and even rolled it through about a yard into the rough, on a back flag and I got it up and down for birdie.

My favorite par 3 was the 4th hole. A nice medium length par 3 with water covering the whole front of the green. A large undulating green is found past the large pond, where being on the correct quadrant of the green is imperative. Paying 158 today I put a 7i to pin high about 20 ft, and missed my birdie putt. The hardest pin location was where they put it today, beingin the water the most into play by putting the flag in the front, a mere 20 feet from the water

My favorite par 5 was the ninth hole. A tight tee shot starts the hole on the medium length dogleg left par 5. After a well placed teeshot with my driver I came around the corner to a excellent view of the clubhouse, and 9th green, only about 200 yards away. A large bunker guards the short left and water guards the left. The flag was in the back left of the green so I hit hybrid to the right side, and barely missed the green in 2. After a less than great chip shot I missed my 8 ft birdie putt, and cussed my way to turning at even par.

To add to the character, there are two double greens on the course, the 3rd and 13th share one, and the 5th and the 11th share the other. I had never played a course with any before, but it is a pretty interesting gimmick.

The course isn’t overly hilly, but there are a lot of up and down hill shots. It’s an easy walk and I would actually discourage cart use.

Lots of water is also present on the course, coming into play on almost half the holes on the course. It also makes for some great change of pace from the trees, and can make your drive and approach shot exist in completely separate mindsets.

Course condition was phenomenal, fast greens, well kept tees, fairways and bunkers. I had guessed that the greens were rolling at a 9 but when I asked the pro after my round he said they had actually rolled at a 11 at about noon. My only gripe with the course condition was that there were several casual water spots, none of which came into play for me.

The hardest hole on the course was by far the monster par 5 10th. This hole measures at 625 yards from the men’s tee and feels every inch as long. I hit driver 3 wood and gap wedge, and missed the green short into a pond that guards the front right of the green. From there I got up and down for a messy bogey.

All in all this was a phenomenal track and I was pretty thrilled to play as well I did for my first time there, shot a 74 (+4). I had a sloppy back nine 38, and struggled a bit with the flatstick, but either way it was one of the best public courses I’ve payed in a long time.

3rd/13th hole double green

IMG_4016.JPG

Par 4 3rd hole (from green looking back)

IMG_4017.JPG

Par 3 5th (158yds)

IMG_4018.JPG

5th/11th hole double green

IMG_4019.JPG

View from the 6th tee, the tightest looking tee shot on the course. Still hit driver.

IMG_4020.JPG

Approach to the 9th green (photo not taken by me)

IMG_4026.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk