Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Under Armour Apparel - Review

Under Armour Apparel Review

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

Intro

When most people think of Under Armour, they think of football and compression gear, but in the last couple of years they have made a strong push into golf apparel. Today I will be taking a look at one of their polo shirts and a pair of their cold-weather pants.

IMG_3581.JPG

From the Manufacturer

Under Armour® is a leading developer, marketer, and distributor of branded performance apparel, footwear, and accessories. The brand's moisture-wicking fabrications are engineered in many different designs and styles for wear in nearly every climate to provide a performance alternative to traditional products. The Company's products are sold worldwide and worn by athletes at all levels, from youth to professional, on playing fields around the globe.

UA Clubhouse Exploded Logo Polo (MSRP $54.99)

o Designed with lightweight Performance Pique HeatGear® fabrication, this stylish polo also comes equipped with UPF 30+ sun protection and anti-odor technology, and the moisture-wicking fabric will keep you cool, light, and dry.

UA Performance Flat Front Pant (MSRP $69.99)

o Durable woven ColdGear fabric also made with 4-way stretch to keep you mobile and comfortable, maximizing performance even in less-than-ideal conditions.

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3546.JPG

Cut/Fit

Given the company's background, I was expecting a cut that was geared more towards Joe Six Pack (abs) rather than Joe Six Pack (beer). Both the pants and the polo met these expectations. While the polo is not quite as slim cut as the Travis Mathew polo of the same size, it is certainly a welcome departure from the oversized cut of many golf shirts. The pants are extremely comfortable. They are not at all tight, but not baggy either. I would refer to the cut as “comfortable/athletic.” If I were to nitpick, I might shorten the sleeves just a touch since having the sleeve in my elbow is a pet peeve.

Score 14/15

IMG_3583.JPG

Style

Under Armour's apparel definitely slants towards a louder, more athletic style versus the traditional look. All of the clothes are made from performance materials, and the colors, patterns, and logos tend to be bold. This is certainly true of the “Exploded Logo” polo which has a, you guessed it, exploded (large) logo on the chest. While Under Armour's style is bold, it doesn't often cross over into the outrageous, overly loud, “Look at me” part of the spectrum. All in all, I feel their style gets a solid B.

Score 13/15

IMG_3584.JPG

Movement/Performance

More than any other category, I expected the Under Armour apparel to excel in terms of movement, and I was not disappointed. I wore the polo and pants for a couple of range sessions and never thought about them. To me, this is perfect: if I don't have to think about my clothes, I have more brain power to focus on my game.

One other thing that was considered for this portion of the review was the “Anti-Odor” claim. As many golfers know, moisture wicking shirts are great, but many of them stink. I wore the polo during running and weight training, washed it, and repeated. Result: Under Armour's Anti-Odor claim is legit. I don't know how they did it, and I don't care: the shirt doesn't stink.

Finally, the Cold Gear pants are exceptionally warm without being bulky. If you plan to play in cold weather and are looking for pants that will keep your legs warm, look no further.

Score 15/15

IMG_3591.JPG

Value

With the polo retailing at $55 and the pants at $70, Under Armour finds itself right in the middle of the golf apparel price range. Given the quality of the material and its performance, I think that it represents a solid value assuming that you like the style.

Score 13/15

Peanut Gallery

The Peanut Gallery gave the Under Armour gear solid reviews. Their feelings fell largely in line with my own: the style is a little loud, but not overwhelmingly so. The prices are fair. The quality of the materials and their movement/performance are definitely above average. Perhaps the most telling thing that I can relay is that almost every member of the Peanut Gallery owns at least one or two articles of Under Armour clothing, which is really the best recommendation that can be given.

Score 35/40

Conclusion

In sum, Under Armour has made a very strong entry into the golf apparel market place. The quality and performance of the clothing lives up to the reputation that they built with their compression gear. While the style is neither a huge plus or minus for me, I think that given the price, Under Armour represents a very solid value and is definitely something that should be given consideration when you're shopping for golf clothes.

Score 90/100

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I quite like the Under Armor gear too, the compression shirts and undervests are great. I own the cold weather pants. These are cut way too long and had to be shortened which cuts the logo (wording) on the bottom of the leg in half. Looks odd.

These pants GROW during use, they kept me warm but just seemed to stretch too much so I was constantly hitching them; wore them with suspenders the next time out but same problem.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

I saw in a magazine that UA are launching a base layer range (short and long sleeves) that will help to counter back pain.

I suffer from a bad lower back as a result of playing too much rugby.

Has anyone seen these or tried them out, and if so are they a worthy investment?

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

I saw in a magazine that UA are launching a base layer range (short and long sleeves) that will help to counter back pain.

I suffer from a bad lower back as a result of playing too much rugby.

Has anyone seen these or tried them out, and if so are they a worthy investment?

I will contact my Under Armour rep and ask about this. Given that I just hurt my back, I would love to give this a try.

I just bought a Undner Armour hat and it is amazing. It has a built in "sweatband" and you would thing it would be really hot, but it isn't at all. It is also has some sort of "odor eliminator", which is also pretty sweet, because I have to throw golf hats away all the time due to odor, with the nasty humid summers of the Midwest. I'd like to pick up some of the clothing, but it's just so dang expensive.

How long do the shirts run in fit? It looks like they are long enough to wear out or belt, without having to belt them at your nipples.

The shirt is a nice length - not so short that you can't raise your arms, but not so long that it's hanging past your knees. You can definitely wear it tucked or untucked and be comfortable either way.

How long do the shirts run in fit? It looks like they are long enough to wear out or belt, without having to belt them at your nipples.

I knew I had been doing something wrong with my belt way up there....

I will contact my Under Armour rep and ask about this. Given that I just hurt my back, I would love to give this a try.

Its not a product to combat back pain, but rather a stability product built to help keep the athlete in the correct posture. I hope that helps! Great to hear all the positivity. I work for the brand and love hearing your guys' insights. Please feel free to email with any comments or feedback.

Archived