Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

JUST ARRIVED! - Odyssey ProType PT10 "Black Ops"

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

A special delivery arrived today a little later then normal to the office. Part of the new line-up from Odyssey for 2011...this one has a little bit of the "Spy Theme" going on. It is the Odyssey ProType PT10 "Black Ops" model. More info to come soon....

3-11-11-1.jpg

3-11-11-2.jpg

3-11-11-3.jpg

3-11-11-4.jpg

3-11-11-5.jpg

3-11-11-6.jpg

3-11-11-7.jpg

3-11-11-8.jpg

3-11-11-9.jpg

3-11-11-10.jpg

3-11-11-11.jpg

3-11-11-12.jpg

3-11-11-13.jpg

3-11-11-14.jpg

3-11-11-15.jpg

3-11-11-16.jpg

3-11-11-17.jpg

3-11-11-18.jpg

#TruthDigest

looks sweet

(though I'm gonna go out on a limb here and maybe insert foot in mouth later, but it does look like quite a few putters I've seen before just from an over-all feel - but I guess it's all in the details right?)

I stand by my "Who is going to buy a $300 Odyssey?" comment, though I guess if they're making MORE "pro-types" it's because someone is buying them. Crazy to me.

+1....I feel that way about any putter...I have never been able to justify the price differential between them. There's certain models like the one shown, that I'm more effective with. But I haven't had to pay more than $100-$110 to find one that works. Almost all the manufacturers make the same style head and the main difference is marketing. Sure, some feel a little better than others but my best putting hasn't had a direct cost/reduced putts ratio.

Some will note the milled heads, inserts etc and they have a genuine point, but when I found my current Odyssey, I didn't even look at the price ($100), I just loved the way it felt and bought it...Was the same way with the last Ping I had ($75). I've used the Scotty Cameron's and high end Pings, but my $100 putter has given me the best results. If someone finds a $400 putter that makes them feel confident in their stroke, then more power to them. Marketing is a powerful thing and golf is probably the funniest example of it (I think that's a given for all of us). We all know a guy or six that pulls out the $400 tour driver but hasn't hit a ball over 220 yards in years...Or the 20 handicap that plays blades..and I might smile inwardly but hey, I'm right there. I play golf because I love the game and it makes me feel good. If playing equipment that's totally unnecessary for my game enhances my enjoyment, then what the heck?

If the premium putter cover gives you a charge and the wife doesn't kill you, then why not?

I'm not that guy, but I Am the President of the Justification Foundation, a charitable organization that finds good excuses for virtually all golf and electronic purchases.

Excuse the ramble.

If the premium putter cover gives you a charge and the wife doesn't kill you, then why not?

I'm not that guy, but I Am the President of the Justification Foundation, a charitable organization that finds good excuses for virtually all golf and electronic purchases.

Bwahahha! Giant thumbs up to you good sir.

For the putter it's self, keep the same theme but make is a center shafted mallet and then we'll talk.

MSaternus: You'd be suprised around here then. It's not just Odyssey but Cameron's, Gamblers, Redwoods, etc. Most local golf stores sell more $250 and up putters then $150 a down (on something like a 55/45 split to the more expensive ones). But then people have more money then brains out here.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Bwahahha! Giant thumbs up to you good sir.

For the putter it's self, keep the same theme but make is a center shafted mallet and then we'll talk.

MSaternus: You'd be suprised around here then. It's not just Odyssey but Cameron's, Gamblers, Redwoods, etc. Most local golf stores sell more $250 and up putters then $150 a down (on something like a 55/45 split to the more expensive ones). But then people have more money then brains out here.

Really? That's really unbelievable, you obviously have a very different population than my store. We have people whining every day about $120 putters and very very few $300 putters going out the door.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Nice looking stick.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Price is one thing and it is a valid complaint.

However for a putter (probably moreso than any other club in the bag) it's a pride thing. It's a 'how much do you desire this short stick' thing.

I have 2 putters that I rotate - Odyssey White Ice #1; Scotty Studio Design #5. Both perform well for me and provided I warm-up on the putting green I notice no effect on my game by switching.

I desire however - in fact you could say that I would do a lot of bad things to get one - a brand new, Scotty California with that honey-coated finished in Del Mar. That would never leave my bag. I would look down upon it with delight, I would treasure it and nurture it and so help the dog if it even so much as thought about raising its leg against it.

For a putter it isn't a matter of price or a matter of how it performs versus other models. It's about how it stirs your loins. More than a club.

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

• SPY VIP

You might like this article we wrote a while back:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-putter-quiz-mygolfspy/

Nice, but how many Ping Answer copies does the market need? EVERY OEM and putter maker has one if not several more just like it.

#TruthDigest

Whats actually wrong with taking the original Anser design and making it better? I feel the different materials and different bumper grinds and using different necks and welded hosels all come into play. Some look like crap milled like a block with all square angles off the Top line and the bumpers and such. I have no issues with improvement over original design. Especially one that was originally a casted bronze and lite as a feather. JMO.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I desire however - in fact you could say that I would do a lot of bad things to get one - a brand new, Scotty California with that honey-coated finished in Del Mar. That would never leave my bag. I would look down upon it with delight, I would treasure it and nurture it and so help the dog if it even so much as thought about raising its leg against it.

You, sir, have excellent taste. ;)

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

Price is one thing and it is a valid complaint.

However for a putter (probably moreso than any other club in the bag) it's a pride thing. It's a 'how much do you desire this short stick' thing.

I have 2 putters that I rotate - Odyssey White Ice #1; Scotty Studio Design #5. Both perform well for me and provided I warm-up on the putting green I notice no effect on my game by switching.

For a putter it isn't a matter of price or a matter of how it performs versus other models. It's about how it stirs your loins. More than a club.

totally agreed. and this is not one of those sticks tt u wld covet for

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Just another putter that pays no homage to Karsten Solheim much like Scotty Cameron,Bettinardi you name it. There has been very little progress in technology other than these so called things that make the ball roll straighter. What people don't realize is that all you have to do is take off loft from 4 degrees to 2 degrees and the ball will roll more effectively.4 degrees was incorporated because of green conditions. The green conditions of 70s are rougher than the fairways on today's courses.So 4 degrees is no longer needed.So take some loft off and have more direct roll. The OEMs won't tell you that because they have to sell more product. Should I get off my soap box???????

• 1 year later...

I am gonna bring this thread back to life by adding few of my person experience with my PT10.

Since 2012 Winter, I shopped around specifically for MILLED putter. Everyone that I know recommended me with their Scotty Cameron putters. Few recommended PING but nobody even mentioned about Odyssey ProType. It's been such a long time since I shop for putter, I didn't even know Odyssey started producing ProType putters. Every time I visited my local Golftown and nearby Golfsmith, I tried SC and PING. No word of lie, I probably spent 6-8 hours in total putting around the shop since Christmas of 2012. I just couldn't fall in love with neither SC or Anser putters. Then I saw Odyssey limited T1 putter which I fell in love with but sold before I made my mind up. So last week, I finally decided I was either buying White Hot Pro or X-metal putter. But when I got to Golftown, I found ProType between Seemore putters. Since I never considered Seemore putters, I didn't bother looking at their rack. Don't know what happened that day but I was curious to try out FGP, which lead me to ProType.

Between all those silver ProTypes, I found one black PVC matte finished ProType. When all other ProTypes were close to Ping Anser 4 price, this black PVC matte finish PT10 was "somehow" priced at 1/2 of other ProTypes..................... BANG! POW! WACK!

When I was finally awake again, I was happily handing over $$$ to a beautiful cashier.

Whatever I said aside, PT10 is milled with such a precision, it is almost customized putter.

Milled face is not as deep as SC but more protruding than Anser. Feel is a bit crisper than SC yet soft enough to distinguish the well struck putt. Sound is what arouse me the most. Refreshing yet humbling "TH~I~NG" sound is amazing. Sight line is somewhat standout point of this putter. Wish it was painted in black instead of white. I really don't use sight line much but it is a nice to have feature.

Ball rolls almost TRUE as soon as it makes contact with PT10. Maybe because it is due to 3 degree face instead of 2 degree like SC. I wish I could order PT10 with 2 degree face but this difference can be "forgettable".

I don't know how heavy the putter is but I believe it is lighter than 350g. It should be 340-343g on 35".

Like some of you mentioned, I was never ready to spend $300+ for a putter. I could never justify it. I really didn't have any problem sinking balls in halls with my $100 White Hot XG. Yet, I can see NOW why people are willing to cough out $$$ to purchase milled putters. Luckily I spent 1/2 of what retail price tag yet I know I can definitely say I am willing to spend that $$$ for ODYSSEY not just Scotty Cameron or Ping. Not Brand Loyalty but the craftsmanship and privilege of owning masterpiece is well worth the money.

THanks for the great preview/review

Driver: Callaway RAZR FIT 9.5 with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 Stiff

Wood: Titleist 910FD 13.5 with Aldila RIP Reg

Hybrids: Ping G10 15 with TFC stiff; Titleist 910H 24 with MR Ahina Stiff

Iron: Nike VR II Pro Combo 5-PW

Wedges: Ping G15 54 degree, Scratch 8620 56 degree, Cleveland Tour Action 900 60 degree low bounce

Putter: Odyssey ProType PT10

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or/and Titleist V1

Glove: Callaway Diablo

Shoes: Adidas Powerband 3.0

Archived