TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron fitting opinion

Curly6

I'm looking for some opinion on how to approach an iron fitting near the end of this season. I'm for sure going to book a fitting early during this off season for irons and possibly wedges. My question is on which irons to take to the fitting if I have multiple sets. I have two sets, one is a set of Callaway Apex CF16'S that I was fitted for by GolfTec midway through 2017 and a second is a set of Mizuno MP-32'S that I grabbed at a good price off the used rack. The mizunos confirmed that I definitely want to be playing an iron that has more "player's" characteristics, i.e cleaner looks, softer feel.

I've been playing the Mizuno's since April this year. Do I take the previous fitted irons that I haven't been swinging, or the ones I've been playing that were not fitted?

I would think it wouldn't matter to a good fitter (I'll be scheduling this one with Club Champion), but I think it's not far off to say that there may be less good fitters than not good fitter.

All opinions welcome.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Might be best to just bring both sets with you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

You could take both but imo it makes sense to take the one you are using.

but more importantly is to communicate with the fitter what your goals are. What do you want the new irons to do the old ones dont, what are your strengths and weaknesses and what you are working on. What you like in an iron from looks, feel, flight. The more info the fitter has the better the process will be. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You could take both but imo it makes sense to take the one you are using.

but more importantly is to communicate with the fitter what your goals are. What do you want the new irons to do the old ones dont, what are your strengths and weaknesses and what you are working on. What you like in an iron from looks, feel, flight. The more info the fitter has the better the process will be. 

This x2....love the MP-32s!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I thought about taking both, but want to maximize my time with the fitter. I personally think I'm going to take the set I've been playing. I'll make sure to give as much detail as possible in regards to both what I want out of a ball flight as well as club characteristics. I'll also make sure to tell them that I do have a few models in mind. More than anything, the performance matters to me, but I cant ignore that I do have models that I've had a close eye on for testing.

JPX 919 Tour, Srixon Z785, and Callaway Apex PRO all are at the top of my list. Mid to thin top lines, no overly wide soles, and soft forged feel are very important to me.

Me too, so much that I'm almost ready to try a different shaft than the stock S300 before a fitting. Modus 120x in a single club to test very well may happen before the fitting

This x2....love the MP-32s!

MDGolfHacker

You don’t explain your fitting goals. Are you trying to verify/better the fit of one of your sets or are you looking to get a totally new set?

The set you take will be used to baseline your numbers to show any potential improvements. Take the ones you feel like you hit the best if you want to just bring on set.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The goal of this fitting is to get new irons. Playing the mizunos this year has shown me that I find a ton of enjoyment in golf out of a purely struck iron shot and the feel that comes from a soft forged iron. However, I know I need a touch of forgiveness.

The goal of this fitting is to get new irons. Playing the mizunos this year has shown me that I find a ton of enjoyment in golf out of a purely struck iron shot and the feel that comes from a soft forged iron. However, I know I need a touch of forgiveness.

Then just bring the ones you hit “best” if you don’t want to bring them both. It just bring the other 6 iron since that is what you will most likely be hitting during your fitting.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Fitting = forgiveness. That's the whole point of getting fit - your "miss" will be greatly reduced because statistically, you will miss less often.

If you have a head shape and design in mind, that is a huge plus. Fitting the eye is an important part in the process. The weight and length are the next important factors. Loft and lie the next. Flex and bend point are last.

It sounds a bit obvious, but you may want to transfer the specs of the fitted Callaways to something like the MP32s (or even the MP32s themselves). Once you have a raw set of "fitted" metrics (weight, length, loft, lie etc.) then you can apply that to almost any irons you want. Then only thing that stands between you and a good set is probably your own self doubt. Believe in the feedback of a proper fitting and apply it to a set of irons that you like - it's that simple.

2 hours ago, Curly6 said:

I don't think it'll matter which one you bring then. You're not going to hit many shots to establish a base line. Take the mizzies and see if they can improve the numbers and dispersion IMO.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

39 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I don't think it'll matter which one you bring then. You're not going to hit many shots to establish a base line. Take the mizzies and see if they can improve the numbers and dispersion IMO.

He has a set that was fit and a set that wasn’t. Hes looking for more forgiveness so if he takes the fitted club that is a GI type iron and  also more forgiving than the non fitted a blade it could influence whether another iron is truly not forgiving. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

The set you take will be used to baseline your numbers to show any potential improvements. Take the ones you feel like you hit the best if you want to just bring on set.

^^this^^. The fitter is going to want to establish a baseline so take the ones that you get the best performance out of. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The Mizuno 3 swing analyzer is actually pretty good if you can find a fitter that has one.  I would also recommend getting fit on grass if possible and using your gamer ball too but these two things are mostly hard to come by.  Next, understand your swing tendencies to pick the particular style of club you require.  Those who pick the ball tend to do better with thinner soles while those who take healthy divots, diggers if you will, will usually do better in wider soles.  Of course, this is a generality and not a hard and fast rule.  Shaft weight is HUGELY important.  Need to try varying weights to find the optimal shaft.  Too light can promote over the top of the swing plane while too heavy can promote underneath the swing plane.  Club head weight also matters as well.  A good fitter should know all this.  

a. Iron specs: Mizuno MP-33, Dynamic Gold R300, 2* upright, standard length

b. Ping G, 10.5*, standard length, regular Alta shaft

c. Dexterity: right-handed

d. Alabama USA

e. 7 handicap