Hi there! 

I am playing my first 9 hole beginner tournament on Saturday and I am nervous. People who compete here do not have a handicap and are beginners. I am nervous of topping the ball or something like that lol! But I guess the others are more or less same level. I manage to hit good shots but sometimes I get some surprises.

Which advice would you give me to enjoy this?

4 minutes ago, Rodilroy said:

Hi there! 

I am playing my first 9 hole beginner tournament on Saturday and I am nervous. People who compete here do not have a handicap and are beginners. I am nervous of topping the ball or something like that lol! But I guess the others are more or less same level. I manage to hit good shots but sometimes I get some surprises.

Remember that this is a game and your livelihood doesn't depend on it.  Don't overthink it, just go play your ball and have fun!

• Like 3

Think of it as another 9 hole round.  Relax and just have fun.  Your going to hit bad shots - accept it.  You are going to hit good shots - enjoy it!  Good luck!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 4

On 8/27/2019 at 6:51 AM, MDGolfHacker said:

Think of it as another 9 hole round.  Relax and just have fun.  Your going to hit bad shots - accept it.  You are going to hit good shots - enjoy it!  Good luck!

MDGolfHacker

This is the only advice you need. 

• Like 1

As you say, everyone is a beginner.  So everyone will be nervous, everyone will hit bad shots, and not a single one will care about your shots.  Do your best to relax and have fun.

You didn't comment on what format this tournament/competition is. Stroke play, Match play, best ball, Scramble, etc. etc. etc.

I'd be somewhat surprised if the "tournament" is stroke play at a beginner level. I'd be a much more friendly introduction  to competition if whoever has set this up didn't select a scramble. Scrambles are as about as laid back and non-pressured as any format. And besides... it doesn't rely on any one persons shot as you generally have 3 other team mates. And they'll flub as many shots as you will.  As we all do in fact.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, Rodilroy said:

9 hole beginner tournament

Hi there! 

So how did it work out for you?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    jmhodge

• By fixyurdivot
      Cleaning up my clubs after Monday's round I noticed my ball retriever was missing. It immediately dawned on me where I left it 😥.  The course is 80 miles away and I doubt I'll be back to Bozeman before we head to AZ.  The retriever was probably 25 years old; one with a metal basket on a hinge and a small stem that stakes the ball in the cup.  It works great and I see they still make this style/design.  Conservatively I'll bet it has harvested $1000+ in balls (if only all investments had such returns). This is the style I had.

Wanting to get the latest and greatest on ball retriever technology and reviews, I naturally type in "Golf ball retrievers + My Golf Spy"... and voila!
      https://mygolfspy.com/best-ball-retrievers-of-2018/
      Yes, I know, for some the mere mention of ball retriever makes them nauseous and break out in hives...  so my apologies in advance 🙂.  For those who bag and use them (who can withstand the scorn), what are your opinions/recommendations?  I see the "Gotcha" won the day, but one of the guys I play with in Yuma has one of these and says he dosen't like it as much as the old style for two reasons; one being that if you miss the ball, it releases the inside loop and you have to pull out and reset, second that if balls are in muck, it isn't very good at extraction.  The MGS review does not show pictures of all (15) products tested (or I'm missing it), so it hards to know which is which of those not making the top of the class. Thanks all!
    • By ga_pike
      If this post is not permitted, please delete.  

The 2019 Milltown Open to benefit the Lanier County Lions Club is being held on Friday, May 10th at Stone Creek Golf Club in Valdosta, GA.  4 man scramble with cash prizes for 1st and 2nd place along with gift certificates for longest drive and 4 close ups.  If you are in the south Georgia or north Florida area and interested in playing, please come out and join us!!  Box lunches provided pre-round and a BBQ buffet will be provided post round.  

Thanks!  

• By ConnorWade
      I need some advise on what shaft to hit in two of my clubs that are new to my bag.

First club is a Callaway GBB Epic HeavenWood set to 19* in a Aldila Rogue MAX 70 S

Second Club is a Cobra King Utility 2-3 Iron set to 18* in a Aldila Rogue 95 MSI 85H Stiff

The Question at hand is should I be hitting an X Flex in the two clubs above?

- Currently i game a XR 16 Pro with a Aldila RIP Beta 70 X. My driver swing speeds are avg 114mph
      - My 3W is in a Fujikura Speeder 84 Tour Spec X

I feel like the Heavenwood is a nobrainer to swithc since its a 7W in a 3W shaft. However, the Driving Iron is very new to me and i dont know how this fits in shaft-wise since its right between my irons and woods and is a 7W replacement for windy days or narrow courses. My most frequent miss with UDI is left. 

Thanks!
    • By MDGolfHacker
      Every year I participate in a the same few tournaments and it got me thinking - what do you do to prepare for the tournament round(s) ?  Do you practice more, play more, practice those shots you know you are going to hit during the round, practice your weakest shots to shore it up for the tournament study the course  and come up with a game plan or do you do nothing at all ?

Every year, I've approached the same two tournaments the exact same way -   I try to go to visit the range a few extra times to get the swing a bit more honed in. I also start  looking at the course map/hole layout, to strategize what clubs I want to hit to get to a comfortable wedge distance, and go in with a mindset that I can do what I plan.  It somehow goes out the window especially if I start off bad. 

Ultimately, the results are the same, I place mid-pack for the tournament.  

So what do you all do ?

MDGolfHacker
    • By chris_BFDRF
      Hi All!

My name is Chris and I work for the Boston Fire Department. We are hosting a tournament on Monday October 23rd at William J. Devine Golf Course at Franklin Park in Dorchester and are looking for people to play! This great event benefits the Boston Fire Department Relief Fund and their mission to support both active and retired firefighters and their families. 

If you are interested in golfing or the 50/50 raffle event, click this link: http://www.bfdrelief.org/support/

If you participate in anyway, enter "Chris" in the comment section.

Thank you!
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!