Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

It could be a number of reasons. Usually it’s not always the back that is the problem, it could be tight hips and/or hip flexors or something else.

best advice is to see a doc especially a chiro or physical therapist 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree. I’m a strength coach by trade and do private sessions focusing on golf fitness.

Often times if you can get your glutes and hip flexors to loosen up, the pain will subside. The next thing I would look at is your mid back (thoracic spine). These two things when tight or out of alignment can cause severe back pain. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Not something to mess around with. See a doctor. I know there are a several on MGS, like myself, who have had back surgeries and chronic back issues and they would likely all advise you to have a doctor examine you. Could be something significant or as others have said, relatively minor but it's important to identify which it is. Once you know what it is, you can develop a treatment plan and begin to see improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I'm sitting here at my desk, in front of my pc wincing with lower back pain.

If I move the wrong way while sitting I can let out a cry of pain (not manly I know, but it's like a hot blade sticking in sometimes).

Mine comes from 'reverse C' poor backswing while practicing, plus 2 hrs at the weekend trying to assemble chairs while in a half bending over position, I knew I would suffer later lol

I'm sure theres some decent exercises out there for sufferers like us, as long as it's only muscular and not something more serious.

Dr first I think, then do as he/she tells you.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I have the same issues, and more, but it's my hips that get out of alignment and one leg gets shorter than the other. I see a chiropractor once a month and use an inversion table daily.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Bourbon.

I prefer rum

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm old.  I have had low back pain for years, even before I started playing golf.  However, recent changes in my swing have significantly lessened the pain.  If the pain is golf-related, then it's worthwhile to get an evaluation of your swing from a competent swing coach.  It only takes one incorrect move to put strain on the back.  Oh yeah, be sure to do your stretches before playing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I'm old.  I have had low back pain for years, even before I started playing golf.  However, recent changes in my swing have significantly lessened the pain.  If the pain is golf-related, then it's worthwhile to get an evaluation of your swing from a competent swing coach.  It only takes one incorrect move to put strain on the back.  Oh yeah, be sure to do your stretches before playing.

We're kinda in the same boat (age wise). I started Yoga for Golf and that has helped a lot. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Go to a Dr first and make sure there isn’t anything wrong structurally.
If it turns out to be muscle, massages, stretching, rolling, etc are all great. I have to spend 30 minutes stretching before any round due to back issues. I go to a chiropractor, I get massages, gone to physical therapy, had injections, and even had acupuncture.
Getting an exam first is the most important step!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Go see a doctor. Seriously. We can all talk about things we did that help *us* alleviate back pain, but none of that may be relevant to what's causing *your* pain.

Speaking purely for myself - I started doing Pilates daily about 5-6 years ago, even 10 minutes of it in the morning has made a huge difference in my life when it comes to back pain. For golf-specific things, I learned to allow my hips to rotate in the backswing, which puts far less strain on my lower back. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 1 year later...

This pain is something usual for golf players, however, I use natural medicine for it. I've been playing golf for almost 5 years now, and the main problem of this sport for me was the back pain, sometimes it was unsupportable, and seeing as I am against painkillers (I think they are chemicals that kill your body even more) I looked up for some herb, to make tea of it, and relax my muscles before game. I found the ideal one, kratom, the problem was where can i buy it, I thought it was illegal, but apparently it is legal, and now I am drinking a kratom tea before or after the game, and I can feel how my body is relaxing little by little

Edited by ericpayne

• 3 weeks later...

I suffered for two years before going to the Doctor... don't make my mistake. I "self diagnosed" and began an exercise routine to strengthen my core and hips etc. Did the inversion table, yoga, chirp wheel, all of it and nothing helped. Go to the Dr., even better, go to two. I'm pain free since mid 2018 and I would have neither a golf game or a marriage without the doctor. Back pain and lack of sleep does terrible things to a person.

Cobra F9 9*, PX Hzrdus Black 6.5, 44 inches.

Cobra F8 @ 13.5, I've tried a bunch, currently a rando stock stiff flex shaft.

Cobra King utility 3, KBS C Taper Lite X flex

Ping i500 4-pw retro spec lofts, KBS C Taper Lite x Flex

Callaway MD4 52, 56, 60

EvnRoll ER2, 33.5

"When it matters, hit it hard."

• 8 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 3:05 AM, Vierkantd said:

Hey guys I’ve been recently having an issue where my low back is in a lot of pain and has a lot of pressure on it, and it is effecting my golf game. Does anyone have any tips to alleviate that? 

Hi! I suggest you need to consult or go to the chiropractor. They have a lot of services that are all good. 

I broke my back sking 35 years ago and they wanted to fuse my spine or I could try to live with the pain for along as I could. Started with physical therapy and back exercises. I was waiting for technology to get better for disc replacement. Then technology  just wasn't getting to where I was comfortable going under the knife. I took up golf 30years ago and keeping everything moving actually helped. Never went back for surgery. Doing fine but always thinking about lifting correctly and not doing anything stupid. Hardly any disc left in the lower back L2/L3. But no issues as long as I keep the motion going. But I started with doctors, physical therapy, and exercise.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have a chiro/sports medicine doc. I see him once a month for adjustments, but he also gave me a stretching & exercise routine to focus on strengthening the weak areas.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

I have spondylolisthesis (lower back vertebrae out of alignment).  A few minutes on my inversion table really helps when the problem flares up.  I'm also in the process of switching from my conventional swing to Moe Norman's single plane swing and hope that will help as well.

Check out Kirk Junge too.  He has a different method of the SPS.