TESTERS WANTED! ×

nopracticeswing

• 8 months later...

I take practice swings, only 1 or 2 though.  For me, its more about tempo and the feeling of swishing the grass.  If you cant swish the grass, you arent going to be able to make good contact with the ball.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Same for me, one or two swings for tempo although I try my best to keep it at one. I'd like to get to the point where I am confident enough to just walk up to my ball and swing away. All in due time I guess.

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

• 2 weeks later...

Never take practice swings, I swing the club enough playing I dont need the extra wear on muscles... 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Practice swing should be used for getting a feeling of the shot you are trying to play.

Most amateurs tend to make better looking practice swings than actual swing because there is no hit tendency and no consequences of a mishit. 

There’s pros that don’t take a practice swing but they make a movement to get the feel of the shot. Watch Rose or Kuchar pre shot routines and compare to their swing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A couple on the chip and pitch shots to feel the bounce going the turf and maybe once and awhile on a longer putt.

Often shot preparation/practice swings can be done discreetly while others are playing too as to not slow down pace of play.   

It's rare for me to take a practice swing unless I'm really uncomfortable with a shot or I'm trying to ingrain a swing change. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 5/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, SlowNLow said:

A couple on the chip and pitch shots to feel the bounce going the turf and maybe once and awhile on a longer putt.

Often shot preparation/practice swings can be done discreetly while others are playing too as to not slow down pace of play.   

17 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

It's rare for me to take a practice swing unless I'm really uncomfortable with a shot or I'm trying to ingrain a swing change. 

I'm with both of you.  For full swings, I'll make some kind of rehearsal to ingrain something I'm trying to do, but its not a real practice swing.  But chipping, I'll make a number of short practice swings until I make a couple in a row that feel "right".  Then its a quick set-up and swing, trying to replicate that feel without thinking too much.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I 100% take practice swings. But honestly, I think it is less of a "practice swing" and more of a kick start or move to loosen up real quick to prepare to move my body to move a certain way. It is only one or two and then I am hitting the ball. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I go rounds where I don't take any practice swings all and some rounds in which I take a few. For me its the comfort factor regarding the shot I am about to play. If its a shot that I don't routinely play I will probably take a few for tempo/timing. I try to be aware of my pace and very much appreciate others not taking 5 swings+ before a shot. That drives me crazy. 

2 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

I go rounds where I don't take any practice swings all and some rounds in which I take a few. For me its the comfort factor regarding the shot I am about to play. If its a shot that I don't routinely play I will probably take a few for tempo/timing. I try to be aware of my pace and very much appreciate others not taking 5 swings+ before a shot. That drives me crazy. 

What you just said is exactly how I would describe myself.  Now teaching my 8 and 7 year olds to do a practice swing is another story. Sometimes they do a second or third practice swing and I’m nervous about the group behind us.  So m going to have them focus on just one practice swing. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

8 hours ago, T2Grn said:

What you just said is exactly how I would describe myself.  Now teaching my 8 and 7 year olds to do a practice swing is another story. Sometimes they do a second or third practice swing and I’m nervous about the group behind us.  So m going to have them focus on just one practice swing. 

I went through practice swing scenario with kids  a few years ago while caddying for my  youngest son when he played US Kids/PGA Junior League.  My son's teaching pro/coach at the time kinda helped out regarding this. One thing young kids (most adults too) need is a simple go to routine while preparing for their shot that they are about to execute. My sons teacher/coach helped us craft a simple pre-shot routine, the goal was one practice swing / maybe two max (i.e. over sand, water, etc). The teacher/coach also stressed if my son would commit to this that his tempo/rhythm would be just right. I also used the angle that when we play on the course its courteous to keep a good pace and not hold people behind us up (this part took a little while but eventually worked) . Good luck with your kids.