TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lost Swing

Quick question to my fellow Spysters. It is a hard question for me to talk about. Kind of like saying the word shank or  yips  in the middle of them. For about 2-3 weeks , right after my course's member/guest. During it's Senior Club Championship and continuing through the waning weeks of my twi-light league. I have lost my swing. I can't get an iron air borne. My driver has developed at best a large fade at worst a slice. My natural ball flight is left to right not right to left. No tempo what so ever. My brain is a total mess. I went out in the Senior CC and shot a 97, 5 balls went OB. My wife, who plays no golf, says it's in my head. I can't argue that. I played the other night, didn't score well but started hitting a few good,natural shots. I went in with the mind set of NO mind set. It seemed to help, probably not for the long run. But, short term it may be my only way back to sanity and better golf.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

we have all been there @Kevin E it's quite depressing and you think there's no road back. Someone famous once said "the golf swing is only something you borrow" and how close is that to the truth.

John Jacobs called your situation "total swing disintegration" and he had a chapter on it in his world famous 'Practical Golf' instruction book. In it he said you have to go right back to basics, grip -posture -alignment then start with slow half swings and work your way up when each stage has decent contact again. It does work, takes time but there is a solution.

Good luck and keep us appraised.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

5 hours ago, KevinE said:

Quick question to my fellow Spysters. It is a hard question for me to talk about. Kind of like saying the word shank or  yips  in the middle of them. For about 2-3 weeks , right after my course's member/guest. During it's Senior Club Championship and continuing through the waning weeks of my twi-light league. I have lost my swing. I can't get an iron air borne. My driver has developed at best a large fade at worst a slice. My natural ball flight is left to right not right to left. No tempo what so ever. My brain is a total mess. I went out in the Senior CC and shot a 97, 5 balls went OB. My wife, who plays no golf, says it's in my head. I can't argue that. I played the other night, didn't score well but started hitting a few good,natural shots. I went in with the mind set of NO mind set. It seemed to help, probably not for the long run. But, short term it may be my only way back to sanity and better golf.

It happens @perseveringgolfer is correct go back to the basics. When it happens to me it usually boils down to one thing. I am swinging/trying too hard. In order to find it again I focus on a couple of swing movements that I can rely on and do them slow. Then I will continue to implement them into the swing. I focus on the movement doing it slow and still take a full swing. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 hours ago, KevinE said:

When this happens to me (and it's happened a lot this year and in previous years) I take a break from golfing and do something else I love to do, like fish).  Needless to say, I've been fishing a lot lately,😁😂😅. The Swing will come back, just take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that you are golfing.  Or get a pro to look at your swing and have him or her tweak it back to where it was (not revamp it).

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I recommend drilling the basics with no ball. Just stand in the yard and swing, swing, swing. Then head out to the range with your gap wedge and putter. Hit one small to medium bucket then putt for 20 minutes. Take a week or two off from actually playing.

I disagree with your wife’s assessment. It’s not in your head. It’s somewhere in your swing. If you build your swing back around the basic fundamental golf swing you should be able to find your rhythm again.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

17 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

When this happens to me (and it's happened a lot this year and in previous years) I take a break from golfing and do something else I love to do, like fish).  Needless to say, I've been fishing a lot lately,😁😂😅. The Swing will come back, just take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that you are golfing.  Or get a pro to look at your swing and have him or her tweak it back to where it was (not revamp it).

MDGolfHacker

Good advice, on the swing tweaking and not revamping. This dog is too old for major changes and not enough time or patience to put in. I know that things "ain't built in a day". I just want to get back to where I was. Which was playing pretty steady golf, having good days and bad days, scoring wise. I have played less. And have played a little better. Short season up in New England so don't want to let too much of what's left go by.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

23 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

It happens @perseveringgolfer is correct go back to the basics. When it happens to me it usually boils down to one thing. I am swinging/trying too hard. In order to find it again I focus on a couple of swing movements that I can rely on and do them slow. Then I will continue to implement them into the swing. I focus on the movement doing it slow and still take a full swing. 

Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn yesterday on the front 9. Remembered that I wrote this yesterday, made the turn and on back 9 hit 7 greens and made 3 birdies. This forum helps in so many ways. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Back to basics at the range with alignment sticks for me. Grip is the first thing Ive learned (the hard way), ball placement, alignment, etc. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

@Kevin E,  this happens to most,  if not all, of us.

When it happens to me it usually creeps up on me over a couple of increasingly erratic rounds.  Then it dawns on me what is happening (usually old bad habits sneaking back in and exagerating my natural out-to-in path by not rotating my body enough), so i can then work on getting back to trying to do it properly.

Going back to basics is the way to go for me too.

Put the clubs down for a while and take a break.

What else do you do for fun?

With the fall approaching there is plenty to do while being outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This happened to me a few years back. I broke someone’s sliding back window, could have been worse.

I quit playing for the rest of the year, and that happened in August I think.

My head was filled with tips, other people’s swing thoughts, fear, and never wanted to touch a club again.

I spent the winter rebuilding my swing, it wasn’t any good either, I could get around a course without any of those nasty words, but it just felt off/wrong.

Not going to lie, I almost gave it up again this year right after the Blueprint thread went live my swing went cold. So I said enough is enough, and moved on to the one plane deal.

Taking a break helped me out, but I like this game too much to take breaks, or quit playing.

I hope that you find your swing again Sir.

Kevin, thank you for starting this thread....this is where I have been for a month or so with my game but I am too stubborn (or maybe just not smart enough) to quit. Anyway, I have finally started to see some small progress but I am nowhere near back to my previous form. It is actually just nice to see a shot or two go the way I intended!!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

First, I’d watch Tin Cup. You all know what I’m talking about. 

Had a buddy go through this. Took some video and noticed a small swing flaw, he was yanking at the transition and just was a complete mess. 

The key is, the more tense you get about it the worse it’ll get. Golf is a mental game, if you don’t feel confident standing over the ball bad things happen. 

Half swings, swing without looking at the result, line up three balls and hit them in quick succession...there are a bunch of drills to get rid of the yips. I like trying to hit a big slice or a big fade. I find once my body remembers how to do that, straight shots come back quicker. I agree with your wife in this sense, our head gets in the way of our swing. Let the body do what it does!

Whenever this happens to me, I try to remember I play this game because it’s a lot of fun. I’m not a pro trying to make a living. Frankly, I’m not good enough to get frustrated!

Best of luck!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

On 8/29/2019 at 3:45 AM, KevinE said:

Good advice, on the swing tweaking and not revamping. This dog is too old for major changes and not enough time or patience to put in. I know that things "ain't built in a day". I just want to get back to where I was. Which was playing pretty steady golf, having good days and bad days, scoring wise. I have played less. And have played a little better. Short season up in New England so don't want to let too much of what's left go by.

Hogwash!!  You are never too old for changes.  I'm 72 and I went through a major change last year, and a slight change again this summer.  Why did I make a change?  Simple, because I went through what you are going through. We all have been there.  The first thing that goes wrong for me is tempo.  As has been said already... back to the basics in setup; make half swings (lead arm parallel in the backswing).  Start with wedge or 9i.  A couple hundred of these and you should be good to start lengthening your swing.  Of course, seeing a golf pro is not a bad idea either!  Probably better than a bunch of us that don't know anything about how you swing, but you did ask.  😎

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Trust me it happens to all of us. It is rougher on a player like me who is not mechanical but instinct and feel. Lately it has happened to me putting. I used to be a good putter but it has went to crap lately. What I ended up doing besides checking my set up was going to practicing with an older blade putters. Trust me if you can make a good strike and roll with an Ironmaster or Bullseye you can putt with anything. Same thing on the general game I practice a lot with one of my persimmon drivers and old blade irons--- If I can hit them in the face then I am ok. But the putting is frustrating----- Had 4-3 putts last Saturday and still shot 79---- missed 3 other short putts for up and down pars. Missed several birdie putts. LOL the only birdie I had I holed out one from a bunker. Told my buddy Bear who is a Hogan man " Do you know why your man Hogan quit the game?" He got where he could not putt----- This week I am on vacation and I have been practicing my putting quite a bit---- And yes this game can mess with your head

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This thread is hitting home for me. I've progressively gotten worse since playing 18 a few weeks ago (see my posts in the practice thread) and this morning was a complete meltdown at the range. Couldn't hit anything that wasn't a wedge. My driver that was so good yesterday was hot garbage today. The last 3 times I've left the range I've felt frustrated and like I wasted my time. I have a round planned with my dad at a higher end course here in MA later this month and this couldn't be coming at a worse time.

The clubs are getting pulled out of the trunk tonight and they're sitting in the garage for a week. I need a break.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

This thread is hitting home for me. I've progressively gotten worse since playing 18 a few weeks ago (see my posts in the practice thread) and this morning was a complete meltdown at the range. Couldn't hit anything that wasn't a wedge. My driver that was so good yesterday was hot garbage today. The last 3 times I've left the range I've felt frustrated and like I wasted my time. I have a round planned with my dad at a higher end course here in MA later this month and this couldn't be coming at a worse time.

The clubs are getting pulled out of the trunk tonight and they're sitting in the garage for a week. I need a break.

Every golfer... pro or am... has ups and downs in their game.  By the time your game with your dad rolls around, you will be hitting lights out.  Positive thinking!  Law of Attraction -  if you are thinking negative thoughts, you certainly will have negative outcomes.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Every golfer... pro or am... has ups and downs in their game.  By the time your game with your dad rolls around, you will be hitting lights out.  Positive thinking!  Law of Attraction -  if you are thinking negative thoughts, you certainly will have negative outcomes.  

I wonder also if the tennis elbow I've been dealing with is subconsciously changing my swing as well. I am hitting without pain while wearing the arm band, but it's always there in the back of my mind. I think a week away from the clubs will do me good.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:06 AM, bens197 said:

Put the clubs down for a while and take a break.

What else do you do for fun?

With the fall approaching there is plenty to do while being outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Lots of great things to do in the fall.  I do agree with put the sticks down.  Last year I played 5-6x a week for the most part. On the weeks where I played only 3-4x a week I played much better.  I don't get tired which is when those bad habits come back.  So many answers to this questions. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX