TESTERS WANTED! ×

Arizona In November

LeftyHawk

I'm heading to Phoenix in November for a convention the wife has, I'm tagging along to play golf in Arizona. I'm looking at 2 different courses, Cave Creek and Starfire. Any thoughts from anyone who has played these, or if you have better suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris 

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

... Spent 4 months out their last winter and played about 40 different courses. I didn't play either of those. Do you hav a budget and location where you want to play? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

No budget really, and within say a half hour of the Sheraton Phoenix Crescent Hotel. Just looking for something fairly nice, not crowded would be nice. I figure if I had tee times around 11 that would help keep the number of people down.

Thanks,

Chris

Far and Sure......

... 2 of my favorites are Park District courses. Aguila and Papago. I played Aguila probably 25 times and Papago 5.  If you don't mind spending a little more Camelback Ambiente is also an amazing and unique course. All within 30 minutes. Fwiw, talking to locals they said to avoid Cave Creek and Starfire. 

Great info, thanks chisag. I believe I'll give Aguila and Papago a try. 

this is one of the great things about MGS. Valuable information! Thanks guys.

Chris

Far and Sure......

I played Starfire my first time to Phoenix and it is to be avoided at all costs! Like Chisag said - there are great courses everywhere. I did do thr touristy thing and played TPC Scottsdale which was great - both courses are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I'm heading to Phoenix in November for a convention the wife has, I'm tagging along to play golf in Arizona. I'm looking at 2 different courses, Cave Creek and Starfire. Any thoughts from anyone who has played these, or if you have better suggestions.
Thanks,
Chris 

Starfire and Cave Creek should definitely be avoided. From downtown you could get to the Raven pretty easily and for a City course Aquila is the best of the group. Legacy is a good track as well, next door to the Raven. Papago has gone downhill a bit, not as nice as it once was Course wise. New clubhouse is nice and the practice facility.

Sent from my iPhone

No shortage of really good golf and November should be a good time. Are you going at the beginning of November or towards the end? Only reason I ask is that some courses may be coming out of overseeding if they waited until closer to the end of October to shut down. The AZ Golf Association has the overseeding schedule for most courses (https://www.azgolf.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2019/09/2019-Overseed-Schedule-9-3-19.pdf) so you may want to check when you decide on a course.

Papago is highly recommended and Aguila is really good too (been several years since I played it though). Also, if you are willing to travel more, check out Southern Dunes, Whirlwind, WeKoPa, Boulders and Grayhawk. 

WITB

Ping G410 | Titleist TS3 | Srixon Z585 |Cleveland RTX4 | Ping Redwood Piper | Pro V1

I just posted a response to a Scottsdale golf inquiry under the US Courses heading.  Check those out as well.  The overseeding comment is well taken, I was out there last November and planned my itinerary around the overseeding schedule.  You do NOT want to play a course that had just reopened after overseeding--give it at least two weeks.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Great info on the over seeding. I will definitely look into that and plan my golf around that. Thanks for the link to the schedule tyler621.

Far and Sure......

Happy to help. I lived in the Phoenix area my enitre life before moving to Colorado a few months ago. Happy to help and let me know if you have any questions. To follow up on what Jax posted , definitely give the course at least two weeks after reopening. Otherwise you will likely be cart path only and putting on shag carpet.

Have fun! 

WITB

Ping G410 | Titleist TS3 | Srixon Z585 |Cleveland RTX4 | Ping Redwood Piper | Pro V1

I play mostly west side courses. Not sure if you are going to be near but I can recommend some courses on the west side of Phoenix if you do have plans to be on the west side.

AZ has an abundance of courses and many great ones. I think it'd take you a while to try them all 🙂

... Speaking of the west side, I made the drive from Chandler to Buckeye many times to play the Verrado Founders Course, which is one of my favorites in Phoenix. Coming from thick green forests and mostly flat land in the Chicago suburbs, playing in both the desert and the side of mountains I absolutely love the Founders GC and didn't mind the 2 hour drive to play it. The really nice thing is depending on which tees you choose the course can be very demanding to very playable with wide fairways and big greens. Lots of strategic bunkers in play for longer hitters but not in play fro shorter hitters. 2 long par 3's have massive elevation drops from the back tees but not as much from the shorter middle or front tees.  

I would DEFINITELY avoid starfire--- dont know Cave Creek.

Raven is in South Phoenix and is awesome.  Papago is right near the airport and another fantastic course.  If your up in the cave creek area and looking for good courses --- Troon North, Boulders, legend trail or grayhawk.  

On 8/28/2019 at 6:46 PM, LeftyHawk said:

Thanks,

Chris 

Tagging our local PHX resident here @azstu324 for input.  He hosted me at a great little course in his neighborhood.   Beyond that I played Troon North, while a bit pricey it was worth every penny, if you want to treat yourself to a once a year type round. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Saw the Bat Signal Rob 🤣

I definitely second the Raven! Arizona Grand and Legacy are decent and are all along the same stretch of road as the Raven. in S Phx. 

If you can make the trip a little further East to Mesa, Las Sendas is probably my favorite course in the valley that runs through AZ red rock setting right on the edge of town. Superstition Springs GC will be in great shape and it's a beast of a course. Further East is Gold Canyon Golf Resort and both the Dinosaur and Sidewinder are great courses that run through the AZ Desert mountainscape. 

Talking Stick is a fun and very open course as it's part of a resort. Both courses are fun. 

Dobson Ranch and San Marcos are decent and are not too spendy. They're flatter but have their design challenges that require some good management. 

The downside to golf here in November is that the rates nearly triple for all courses. I'm a budget golfer so these aren't going to be "once in a lifetime" type courses but they'll be plenty fun and challenging and you might get 2 or 3 rounds for the price of 1 round at TPC. Also, I'm in the East Valley so most of the course I play will be closer to this side of town. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG