TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cold Weather Balls

MomoMan83

With fall approaching and winter not far behind, I started thinking about the best balls to use during cold weather.  I have read you want a softer, low compression ball to help maximize distance, but I had also read a slow swinging beginner (sort of) like myself should use a low compression ball regardless of season for the same reason.  The MGS ball test made me think twice about that and now I love using urethane balls rather than the WS Duo softs I always used to use.  It's great being able to stick a green instead of watching the ball hit and roll off the back.  Anyway, does that theory still hold true for colder temps?  If true, at what temperature would it be most beneficial to start using a softer ball?  I have dozens upon dozens of 2 pieces Wilson Staff balls from when I thought they were best for my game.  What are your go-to balls for colder weather?

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

following

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

Yes you want to use a lower compression ball during the cooler temps. I tend to go with q star or the rx from Bridgestone. Havent tried the tour soft from titleist yet. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I still plan to stick with softer balls - the Duo and the Maxfli Softfli are my go-to's in the fall.

Also, I like cheap balls because with the fallen leaves here in New England, it's extremely easy to lose a ball even when you think you know where it is. They just get buried sometimes. I'd rather write off a $0.50 ball than a $4 one. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thanks for the input guys.  Good to know all those red, green and yellow Duo Soft Optix won't go to waste.  Is there much difference between the Q Star and Q Star Tour?  I have three dozen of last years Tours that I haven't used yet. 

56 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I still plan to stick with softer balls - the Duo and the Maxfli Softfli are my go-to's in the fall.

Also, I like cheap balls because with the fallen leaves here in New England, it's extremely easy to lose a ball even when you think you know where it is. They just get buried sometimes. I'd rather write off a $0.50 ball than a $4 one. 

I understand that completely.  I once lost a ball in one of many piles of dead cut grass in between the tee box and green on a par 3.  Didn't think I would lose a bright red ball only half way to the green, but I did.

It makes no sense to use a tour level ball here in the colder weather.  Our greens are firm anyway, and when the weather turns cold, good luck getting any ball to hop 'n stop.  Softer compression balls feel better off the club.  The good news is that the fairways are firmer as well, so distance is actually better!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't play in the cold weather anymore since the move to NC a few years ago. But back in NY, the Wilson Zip was my go-to cold weather ball. Loved that thing as I still got great distance, relatively speaking as to the elements.

Now I'd probably use the Duo-Urethane or Duo-Professional.

15 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

I don't play in the cold weather anymore since the move to NC a few years ago. But back in NY, the Wilson Zip was my go-to cold weather ball. Loved that thing as I still got great distance, relatively speaking as to the elements.

Now I'd probably use the Duo-Urethane or Duo-Professional.

I didn't think about those.  They would definitely fit the bill for low compression.  A bit more than I usually pay for balls though.  Maybe I can find a good deal on some somewhere.  

I actually haven't really even played in cold weather, but as I get more and more hooked on golf I want to keep trying to work on my meager game so I'm not completely rusty by spring.  

On 8/29/2019 at 3:09 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes you want to use a lower compression ball during the cooler temps. I tend to go with q star or the rx from Bridgestone. Havent tried the tour soft from titleist yet. 

I play the tour soft all the time and love it. Great feel and amazing distance from a"soft" ball. Try it!!

I didn't think about those.  They would definitely fit the bill for low compression.  A bit more than I usually pay for balls though.  Maybe I can find a good deal on some somewhere.  
I actually haven't really even played in cold weather, but as I get more and more hooked on golf I want to keep trying to work on my meager game so I'm not completely rusty by spring.  
If you're not opposed to ebay, there's at least one seller offering the Duo Urethane for $26/dozen shipped.

I bought from them before, no issues:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392282235095

If you're not opposed to ebay, there's at least one seller offering the Duo Urethane for $26/dozen shipped.

I bought from them before, no issues:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392282235095

Not opposed to eBay at all. That's where I have gotten most of my golf gear. That's a solid price, thanks! I'll have to add those to my list of urethane balls to test.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Another Wilson product. The 50/50 elite the best cheap ball.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, AH1980MN said:

Just gonna leave this here...

I never did understand the theory behind playing softer balls when it's cold out.  If anything, I want as much spin as I can get when the ground is hard.  The ball doesn't go anywhere when it's cold because I feel like the Michelin Man when I wear long sleeves.  Of course, I look like the Michelin Man when I'm in short sleeves, so that doesn't help.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 4 weeks later...

I found that my ProV1 and V1x didn't perform as well after being exposed to extreme cold. They just felt "dead" after they sat in -20 garage, and never felt the same again. Lesson learned, don't leave them in the garage all winter. The ones that were in the basement didn't react the same way. Just found it interesting and thought I'd throw it out there. 

Titleist AP2 718 - AMT White S300 Shafts, Standard Length and Lie

Rocketballz RBZ Stage 2 - 10.5 degrees, Stiff 60g Fujikura Rocketfuel Shaft

Right Handed

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Handicap - 7.8

16 minutes ago, Micklars said:

I found that my ProV1 and V1x didn't perform as well after being exposed to extreme cold. They just felt "dead" after they sat in -20 garage, and never felt the same again. Lesson learned, don't leave them in the garage all winter. The ones that were in the basement didn't react the same way. Just found it interesting and thought I'd throw it out there. 

Long exposure to extreme cold or heat will decrease the life span of a ball and eventually as you found out the balls die. It was either Callaway or titleist that answered a question about this not long ago. A month in either environment is the limit and the more extreme the temp the quicker they die

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I can attest that it's true for the Titleist balls. I think I need to move to a warmer climate!

Titleist AP2 718 - AMT White S300 Shafts, Standard Length and Lie

Rocketballz RBZ Stage 2 - 10.5 degrees, Stiff 60g Fujikura Rocketfuel Shaft

Right Handed

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Handicap - 7.8