Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

TaylorMade – Declines to Participate in MyGolfSpy’s 2011 Review Series

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

1-1-1-tm-declines625.jpg

black-dotted-lines95.jpg

This is in response to our latest survey and the many emails I receive about lack of Taylormade golf club reviews.

MGS Will Not Be Testing Taylormade Gear For 2011

In a recent survey we conducted on MyGolfSpy, a substantial majority of you told us that you wanted to see more club reviews on MyGolfSpy. We're taking what you told us to heart. We've got several clubs currently undergoing testing, and we're reaching out to our contacts throughout the industry and asking for more. We're working with the big names, and some smaller companies whose offerings we think you'll find interesting.

We've also refined our scoring procedures, and will be implementing radius-based testing protocols for irons and wedges. In short, we plan on cranking out more reviews than ever before, and of course, we're going to do it without compromising our objectivity, or the amount of data and the level of detail you've come to expect from us.

Although we've already received product from names like Callaway, Titleist, PING, and Mizuno, and hope to receive product soon from Adams, Cobra, and Nike (among others), unfortunately I have to report that MyGolfSpy will not be testing anything from TaylorMade's 2011 line up.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.mygolfspy...-review-series/

#TruthDigest

So if I understand correctly, because the company will not participate and send free demos, you cannot review the club independently? Given the fact that these are tested in such a "state of the art" indoor golf facility, I cant imagine it would be too difficult to find someone to lend these clubs to you for tests. No?

Other than to try and put pressure on TM, I dont quite understand why they still cannot be reviewed...

Personally, I am a Titleist 910D3 guy, but I enjoy your reviews and think it is a shame to be able to give this community your review on the major brands that most would buy or want to put in their bag.

There is a lively discussion on this underway on the blog which I have made my feelings known on. I think until TaylorMade rethinks their very poorly thought out position on getting free hype and publicity on their unreleased products, a good compromise would be for MGS readers to fill the void by demoing the new Taylor woods and posting their thoughts in the user review forum. It's not a MGS review but it would be helpful. There's a GolfSmith over the 101 freeway from my apartment, I'll try to set aside some time to get in there and swing the Burner next week.

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

• SPY VIP

So if I understand correctly, because the company will not participate and send free demos, you cannot review the club independently? Given the fact that these are tested in such a "state of the art" indoor golf facility, I cant imagine it would be too difficult to find someone to lend these clubs to you for tests. No?

Behind the scenes, X and I had several discussions around both whether or not to share the reason behind the TaylorMade exclusion with our readers, and whether or not to try and obtain clubs from other sources.

With respect to testing what wasn't provided from TaylorMade, there are logistical issues. Some of the discussion implies that some people think we have unlimited resources. As a one off we could do it, but a one off these days means getting drivers of different lofts and flexes (so it quickly becomes a three or four off). So borrowing clubs, while not impossible, isn't as simple as it sounds. The bigger issue is we cannot guarantee with any certainty that the clubs won't get damaged during the testing process. Scratches, and dings are common occurrences, and dents on the crown have happened on a few occasions as well. If I asked you to borrow you driver, but told you that numerous golfers, some of whom aren't very good, were going to hit it, and the probability that it would be returned worse for wear was fairly high, would you loan it to me?

The last issue relates to our decision to have this discussion publicly. If we reviewed the R11 now, and it finished below the Titleist 910D, PING K15, Callaway RAZR or other drivers in the review pipeline, the integrity of our process would be called into question as some would no doubt suggest we're trying to stick it to TaylorMade anyway we can. Conversely, if it were to finish ahead of the other drivers, we risk the suggestion that we fudged the numbers to try and get back in TaylorMade's good graces. With the two possible scenarios in play, we felt the best decision for MyGolfSpy was to abstain from testing TaylorMade products.

Finally, we're not a big operation. Though we don't rely on advertising dollars, our current model does rely on some support from OEMs in terms of supplying equipment for review is concerned. In this respect we're no different from Golf Digest, Golf Magazine, and the other larger media outlets that provide reviews. All of us receive our products directly from the OEMs. The only real difference there is that we treat all the OEMs we deal with (regardless of size) exactly the same way. By procuring product outside of normal channels, we'd essentially invalidate that previous statement, and we feel that our model only works when the same rules apply to everyone.

On a side note - TaylorMade's position is essentially that we violated the rules they hold all media outlets to when we published photos in advance of their embargo date. We understand that aspect of things, which is why we're not suggesting we're being treated unfairly. This is more about making sure our readers understand what the current situation is. Simply stated TaylorMade and MyGolfSpy are of divergent minds as it relates to the publication of product photos in advance of OEM embargo dates. We think the source should matter, they don't. My point is, we broke their rules, and that has consequences, but we're not going to break our own rules either and procure and review TM equipment based on a different standard.

There is a lively discussion on this underway on the blog which I have made my feelings known on. I think until TaylorMade rethinks their very poorly thought out position on getting free hype and publicity on their unreleased products, a good compromise would be for MGS readers to fill the void by demoing the new Taylor woods and posting their thoughts in the user review forum. It's not a MGS review but it would be helpful. There's a GolfSmith over the 101 freeway from my apartment, I'll try to set aside some time to get in there and swing the Burner next week.

This is an absolutely brilliant idea, and I certainly encourage it wholeheartedly. As I said, we've decided to stay out of the TM review fray until such time as we can work with them as partners, but that doesn't mean our readers shouldn't share their thoughts, opinions, and where possible, data too.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Sounds well thought out, look forward to your reviews. No Cleveland reviews?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

• SPY VIP

We didn't ask for much from Cleveland, but my understanding is that they will be sending us what little we asked for.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Problem is some companies get to big for their own good. Taylormade reps in this instance have gone above and beyond comon sense, they would have shown they are customer oriented company and bigger than their advertising department embargo and supported an even evaluation of their equipment. If they let the advertising department headaches drive the way they run the company they will eventually lose more bussiness than they gain unless they are the absolute best product available. Remember how taboo it was to release the black friday ads in advance then bussinesses realized they could capitalize on early releases if their price was right.

Jay

This.

Problem is some companies get to big for their own good. Taylormade reps in this instance have gone above and beyond comon sense, they would have shown they are customer oriented company and bigger than their advertising department embargo and supported an even evaluation of their equipment. If they let the advertising department headaches drive the way they run the company they will eventually lose more bussiness than they gain unless they are the absolute best product available. Remember how taboo it was to release the black friday ads in advance then bussinesses realized they could capitalize on early releases if their price was right.

Jay

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

Good explanation tells it all. There's a plethora of TM reviews in the golf press, so it isn't a big deal to not have them here. It only hurts TM in that they come off as being petty or worse, giving the appearance of hiding the facts behind their hype. So they lose some credibility on this forum. If this forum were to grow to 100,000, then I suspect you'd see TM sing a different tune. But it's their ball and if they want to take it home, then so be it.

We didn't ask for much from Cleveland, but my understanding is that they will be sending us what little we asked for.

IMO, this is the best top to bottom line Cleveland has done in a number of years. I also think having stock Miyazaki shafts is a signifigant advanced over some of the terrible made for shafts out there (I'm looking at you ReAx).

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

The Cleveland line is awesome, IMO. The Mashie, in spite of the stupid name, hits rockets. Had very good fitting results with the driver as well. 3W feels good, but I haven't had much monitor time with it.

Matt, the guys that are buying the Cleveland drivers, which of the 3 head weights to you find they're buying most often?

• SPY VIP

They have tried to blackmail me into not writing some of the stories I have written and images I have posted with free equipment and prizes for the readers that is for sure. Looks like they did the same thing with the Kingdom trips.

You mean Taylor Made won't be buying MGS favor with free trips to the Kingdom?

I'm thrilled you guys don't succumb to payola. It's getting deep out there.

#TruthDigest

They have tried to blackmail me into not writing some of the stories I have written and images I have posted with free equipment and prizes for the readers that is for sure. Looks like they did the same thing with the Kingdom trips.

you guys are great!!! Thanks for the honest truth about golf equipment.

Matt, the guys that are buying the Cleveland drivers, which of the 3 head weights to you find they're buying most often?

290. Most people don't want to 2* open face on the 310, but the 270 is a little too light. I believe the shaft on the 290 is a bit stouter also, which helps control spin a bit.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

If we reviewed the R11 now, and it finished below the Titleist 910D, PING K15, Callaway RAZR or other drivers in the review pipeline, the integrity of our process would be called into question as some would no doubt suggest we're trying to stick it to TaylorMade anyway we can. Conversely, if it were to finish ahead of the other drivers, we risk the suggestion that we fudged the numbers to try and get back in TaylorMade's good graces. With the two possible scenarios in play, we felt the best decision for MyGolfSpy was to abstain from testing TaylorMade products.

This is the most unbiased position I've seen from you guys, and though I praise you for it.

I really wanted to have a decent review on the R11. I tried one and hated it, and wanted to see if it was me or a more general consensus, but I understand your position and I just hope you keep up things the way you do them....

Thank you for maintaining your integrity on this issue. There is of course that other website that is on the TM payroll and serves as an advertisement for them while still clinging to the idea they are a forum about community when they are obviously not. I like TM's products, but the gestapo stuff is a real turn off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the R7 Quad, okay old stuff, however I have had a go with a friends R7 CGB Max and hit it for miles (must get one of them) another time I had a go with a R9, well TM went backward with that one ... last week a golfing mate came to play and had the R11 well I had to have a go ... sorry not good ... all were Reg flex, loft went from 8.5 to 10.5 ... maybe the older clubs are better suited to slower swing speeds ... mine is around 98 mph ... my point is .. never mind the hype, try one and see ... just because they say it is better ... and that maybe the case ... however better for who (or is that whom?) they keep trying to reinvent the wheel so they can sell more product ... how many times have you traded in a driver and bought a new one because they convince you it is better ... then a few months later you wish you had your old one back ... maybe off the subject a bit here ... however although I read the reviews as a guide most out their are just a rubber stamp on what the manufacturer says ... not here though ... cheers guys

Archived