Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

SLDR Shaft Change Question

Cjanak

I have played much more this year than I have in the last several years. I am taking some lessons and at some point in the next 3-6 months I anticipate getting fitted and buying new irons and a driver. My current driver is the SLDR with the stock Fujikara Speeder 57 Stiff shaft that I won through a contest. My previous driver was a Titleist 910D2 that went through a fitting 4-5 years ago and has a Fujikara Motore F1 65 R-Flex shaft. I am thinking about getting the Motore shaft fit with a Taylor Made adapter to try with the SLDR. My question is whether the Motore is a better shaft than the Speeder and if it is worth the $50 to get the adapter installed by a local shop. 

Hi CJ

the SLDR is a pretty different animal compared to the 910D2. While 910D2 is a relatively high spinning design, SLDR is on the exact opposite of the spectrum. Chances are very high, that a shaft performing well in the 910D2 will not perform very well in the SLRD. Most shaft companies had to design specific shafts for the SLDR head to somehow counter the low launch/low spin properties of this very special design.

Cheers,

Michael

That particular shaft (Fuji Speeder 57-S) you're talking about works for me. I played a SLDR  with great success and with that shaft for about 5 years and loved the combo. Several months ago I decided to give the Exotics EXS and try. Initially I didn't like the stock shaft it came with and was thinking of ditching the EXS and keeping the SLDR in my bag. Then I thought... why not try the Speeder 57 in the EXS head. Well guess what? It completely changed the results. I had the adapter swapped for a $10 fee. I've heard the line about shafts being designed for a particular head but I don't buy it. If so, then why are there so many shafts available on the market and why did the old Speeder 57 work in the new EXS head? Beats me. All I can say it works... and works very well.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If getting fit in the next 3-6 months why make any changes to your setup now?

You are talking two different shafts in two different head designs and both are 7 & 10 year old technology. 

For the cost of the shaft, adapter and shop to do the work you could spend a little extra on a driver from 2-3 years ago and have the same potential blind buy luck. 

Better is relative to the golfer and the club. What works for one golfer may not work for another. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1