TESTERS WANTED! ×

Went somewhat old school today

gbtrsc

Wanted to try something different today during a scramble so I benched The a Srixon z565 in favor of a 2012 Cleveland Classics XL with a Miyazaki 60s shaft. Had hit a few shots with it recently but decided to try it for a full round today.

Hmmmmmmm..... very long and straight. Much higher flight (good for me). All drives playable. This one is gonna stay in the bag for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

it does not have the latest and greatest twisted sister face, jailbird technology or injected with KY Jelly to work and perform good.

🤣 Absolute gold!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

16 hours ago, gbtrsc said:

Wanted to try something different today during a scramble so I benched The a Srixon z565 in favor of a 2012 Cleveland Classics XL with a Miyazaki 60s shaft. Had hit a few shots with it recently but decided to try it for a full round today.

Hmmmmmmm..... very long and straight. Much higher flight (good for me). All drives playable. This one is gonna stay in the bag for a bit.

I was talking with my Fitter about drivers - he's got a 10 yr old driver in his bag that he won't trade for anything new. Interesting. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Those drivers were and still are so forgiving. Not a bad choice to keep in the bag. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As I recall I only stopped playing it when I was going through my hip deterioration and replacement. That cost me a bunch of flexibility and clubhead speed. I needed to go to R flex shafts. Now that I’m getting that speed back I can handle the S flex again so the Cleveland is working out so far. The Srixon is a great driver and will stick around until needed again!

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

7 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I was talking with my Fitter about drivers - he's got a 10 yr old driver in his bag that he won't trade for anything new. Interesting. 

I would say he is a pretty smart dude if he hits it well------ We have a certain contingent of retirees over at a neighboring course that still play and hit old TM R-7 quads and such and also play eye 2 irons. Our retirees will not mess with them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Us golfers too often fall trap to the hype and media and intrigue of new, and forget about the mentality of "If it ain't broke, don't replace it." Glad you had something on hand to keep you in the short grass.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

• 4 weeks later...

Such a great classic! Those drivers were so long and straight, the 290 and 310 versions. As well the stock Miyazaki you could order, I think it was the Black and Indigo were right on par with aftermarket shafts.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Strangely enough I just picked up a 270 classic yesterday and hit some absolute bombs with it today, the epic flash could be in trouble, the other contender is a 43 inch wishon 919 that I somehow bought but man that thing is a fairway finder and forgiving.

2 minutes ago, g-off said:

Strangely enough I just picked up a 270 classic yesterday and hit some absolute bombs with it today, the epic flash could be in trouble, the other contender is a 43 inch wishon 919 that I somehow bought but man that thing is a fairway finder and forgiving.

The 270 Classic was basically my first driver.  The old Callaway that came with my used set I got off eBay when I started playing broke before I even got to use it in a round.  Picked up the Cleveland Classic and it did great for me my first two years before I succumbed to the lure of the Cobra this year.  I really need to put the two head-to-head and see if that expensive new driver is even doing me any good.  I love the 270 though.  A simple, classy design and easy to hit.  

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

On 9/1/2019 at 6:37 AM, tony@CIC said:

That is interesting.  One would think being around all the various new clubs and marketing hype, and being so involved with the modern golf fitting technology, would simply be too much to resist.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Mine is still in the bag. Fairway finder and long as anything else. Only issue that I have found is that when the ball and or clubface are wet it can produce some knuckleball type shots.

That’s awesome! I used to absolutely slaughter the ball with a 975D, even with the stock shaft.

Oh man! I had the 975D, J; 983k, E; 905T, R - I LOVED Titleist drivers. I honestly haven't played a Titleist driver since the 905 but man they were sweet.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

just ordered a 983k off the bay to try, same shaft ys6 which I have always gotten along with, scouting a 905r now, just when I thought my bag was set.........

I went old school last week myself. I took 2 drivers out with me, my gamer Cobra F7+. And an old friend that had been sitting in the trunk for several years now, my Geek DotComThis driver. Wow. I had forgotten just how great that DCT driver is. And it was several yards longer than my Cobra. That head is probably 12-15 years old. And it's still LONG. It's going to be staying in the bag for awhile. I might even let him try a new shaft, as I have something in mind to try. But that DCT driver is still seriously long, and feels amazing. My old gamer is once again my new gamer.

Well I went back totally old school after last weekend except for the driver and 4 wood even my hybrid is old--- Put the 80 Macgregor blades with the Hogan Apex shafts back in the front line bag. Thinking about seriously playing my persimmon driver and persimmon 2 wood back in the front line bag. I am straighter with the persimmon and hit the old 2 wood as far and as straight as I do my modern 16* 4 wood.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

983 was just as I remembered absolutely bombs with hits on the screws, doesn't seem as small as it is, always loved the titleist driver shape of this era.  May try a 905r just for the fun of it.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, BIG STU said:

Thinking about seriously playing my persimmon driver and persimmon 2 wood back in the front line bag. I am straighter with the persimmon and hit the old 2 wood as far and as straight as I do my modern 16* 4 wood.

Is ^that^ what's meant by the saying... "Drive for show"... 😁 😆 😁

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 10/10/2019 at 12:33 PM, cksurfdude said:

Is ^that^ what's meant by the saying... "Drive for show"... 😁 😆 😁

I do not hit the persimmon driver as far of course as I do a modern metal but straighter. I guess I mellowed with age back in the day I could not spell fairway much less hit one with persimmon but I was long for those days. I do not hit my modern metal but 20 yards or so further but the persimmon gets more roll out. The deuce wood what can I say I love that thing

G