gbtrsc

Went somewhat old school today

Our Sponsors

Wanted to try something different today during a scramble so I benched The a Srixon z565 in favor of a 2012 Cleveland Classics XL with a Miyazaki 60s shaft. Had hit a few shots with it recently but decided to try it for a full round today.

Hmmmmmmm..... very long and straight. Much higher flight (good for me). All drives playable. This one is gonna stay in the bag for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

it does not have the latest and greatest twisted sister face, jailbird technology or injected with KY Jelly to work and perform good.

🤣 Absolute gold!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, gbtrsc said:

Wanted to try something different today during a scramble so I benched The a Srixon z565 in favor of a 2012 Cleveland Classics XL with a Miyazaki 60s shaft. Had hit a few shots with it recently but decided to try it for a full round today.

Hmmmmmmm..... very long and straight. Much higher flight (good for me). All drives playable. This one is gonna stay in the bag for a bit.

I was talking with my Fitter about drivers - he's got a 10 yr old driver in his bag that he won't trade for anything new. Interesting. 

• Like 3

Those drivers were and still are so forgiving. Not a bad choice to keep in the bag. 

• Like 1

As I recall I only stopped playing it when I was going through my hip deterioration and replacement. That cost me a bunch of flexibility and clubhead speed. I needed to go to R flex shafts. Now that I’m getting that speed back I can handle the S flex again so the Cleveland is working out so far. The Srixon is a great driver and will stick around until needed again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I was talking with my Fitter about drivers - he's got a 10 yr old driver in his bag that he won't trade for anything new. Interesting. 

I would say he is a pretty smart dude if he hits it well------ We have a certain contingent of retirees over at a neighboring course that still play and hit old TM R-7 quads and such and also play eye 2 irons. Our retirees will not mess with them

• Like 2

Us golfers too often fall trap to the hype and media and intrigue of new, and forget about the mentality of "If it ain't broke, don't replace it." Glad you had something on hand to keep you in the short grass.

• Like 3

Such a great classic! Those drivers were so long and straight, the 290 and 310 versions. As well the stock Miyazaki you could order, I think it was the Black and Indigo were right on par with aftermarket shafts.

• Like 1

Strangely enough I just picked up a 270 classic yesterday and hit some absolute bombs with it today, the epic flash could be in trouble, the other contender is a 43 inch wishon 919 that I somehow bought but man that thing is a fairway finder and forgiving.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, g-off said:

Strangely enough I just picked up a 270 classic yesterday and hit some absolute bombs with it today, the epic flash could be in trouble, the other contender is a 43 inch wishon 919 that I somehow bought but man that thing is a fairway finder and forgiving.

The 270 Classic was basically my first driver.  The old Callaway that came with my used set I got off eBay when I started playing broke before I even got to use it in a round.  Picked up the Cleveland Classic and it did great for me my first two years before I succumbed to the lure of the Cobra this year.  I really need to put the two head-to-head and see if that expensive new driver is even doing me any good.  I love the 270 though.  A simple, classy design and easy to hit.  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:37 AM, tony@CIC said:

That is interesting.  One would think being around all the various new clubs and marketing hype, and being so involved with the modern golf fitting technology, would simply be too much to resist.  

• Like 2

Mine is still in the bag. Fairway finder and long as anything else. Only issue that I have found is that when the ball and or clubface are wet it can produce some knuckleball type shots.

Went even older school yesterday, dusted off my old 905t and man this thing was a bomber, I do believe shaft does help a lot but now looking for a 983k to try out!

• Like 1

That’s awesome! I used to absolutely slaughter the ball with a 975D, even with the stock shaft.

Oh man! I had the 975D, J; 983k, E; 905T, R - I LOVED Titleist drivers. I honestly haven't played a Titleist driver since the 905 but man they were sweet.

Been really close to switching out my R9 SuperTri with Fubuki shaft. Just really felt like a I was losing distance. Then I noticed it in my irons. Switched balls and right back to where I was.

R9 stays!

• Like 1

just ordered a 983k off the bay to try, same shaft ys6 which I have always gotten along with, scouting a 905r now, just when I thought my bag was set.........

I went old school last week myself. I took 2 drivers out with me, my gamer Cobra F7+. And an old friend that had been sitting in the trunk for several years now, my Geek DotComThis driver. Wow. I had forgotten just how great that DCT driver is. And it was several yards longer than my Cobra. That head is probably 12-15 years old. And it's still LONG. It's going to be staying in the bag for awhile. I might even let him try a new shaft, as I have something in mind to try. But that DCT driver is still seriously long, and feels amazing. My old gamer is once again my new gamer.

• Like 2

just got a 983k in the mail, will be taking it out tomorrow for a test run!