Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putting Stroke

LoganT

7 hours ago, LoganT said:

What is the easiest way to determine what type of putting stroke I have? 

I am assuming you are referring to arc.     Video or Puttlab are the easiest.  The question is what are you trying to determine by knowing your putting stroke?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am assuming you are referring to arc.     Video or Puttlab are the easiest.  The question is what are you trying to determine by knowing your putting stroke?

Yes I should have been more clear. I’m not sure if I’m square to square or have a slight arc stroke and I want to know this so I can use the best putter for my stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
1 hour ago, LoganT said:

Yes I should have been more clear. I’m not sure if I’m square to square or have a slight arc stroke and I want to know this so I can use the best putter for my stroke.

Generally everyone has an arc unless they manipulate the putter or their stroke/hands.    Your best approach is to ignore the generalities that X putter is for SBST and Y putter is for arc strokes.   Try different putters and see what configuration will allow you to start the ball on your intended line.  Face position is key since it is the primary factor in the direction the ball goes.   You need to be able to start the ball online for any length stroke.  A simple test is to put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and see if you can consistently roll the ball over that spot.  You can also setup a gate;  and see if you can meet the degree of error to make 10 or 20 foot potts.

On a straight 10 foot putt you will need to develop accuracy of less than 1 degree of error in your starting line to be successful, or at 20ft less than 0.5 degree

50mm @ 17 inches requires less than 0.5 degree of error 
50mm @ 11 inches requires less than 0.75 degree of error

55mm @ 14 inches requires less than 1 degree of error
55mm @ 19 inches requires less than 0.75 degree of error 

60mm @ 40 inches requires less than 0.5 degrees of error

60mm @ 20 inches requires less than 1 degree of error

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Here's a video from MGS that I thought was pretty helpful.

I also downloaded the iPing2.0 app and made my own case for my phone with some cheap parts off the internet (thanks to another MGS member @BK in TEXAS) and got an approximate stroke type with the app.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

1 minute ago, Just another lefty said:

I also downloaded the iPing2.0 app and made my own case for my phone with some cheap parts off the internet (thanks to another MGS member that I can't remember right now) and got an approximate stroke type with the app.

Just remember that the ping app measures rotation and not path. 

3 hours ago, LoganT said:

I’m not sure if I’m square to square or have a slight arc stroke and I want to know this

In case your curious what the app shows, here's a screenshot of my app results (just the top portion) showing the closing angle and stroke type that would equate to. The app also gives Impact Angle, Tempo, Lie Angle and Shaft Lean.

878265472_Pingappscreenshotcropped.thumb.jpg.4409e84a0aa5d4e681433b8f6c07d0de.jpg

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip