Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Do Titleist urons feel hard?

pulledabill

Played Ping Eye 2s for many years unti last year when I bougt some Titleist irons which felt softer then the Pings. Over the last year I hit others clubs and always thought they felt softer than my Titleist irons.

Yesterday I hit several  Titleist, severalMizunos and a couple Srixons. The Titleist felt like rocks. Nothing about the feel did I like. 

Buddy came by work and I mentinoed I hit the new Titleist irons. He instantly said he has always thought they felt too hard as well. 

Others thonk or feel the same? 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Depends on which irons you're hitting. The AP1 that's listed as your gamer set is a fully cast club and lacks a lot of the vibration dampening (it has some) that other manufacturers use. I've played forged Titleist irons in the past and always thought they felt quite good, but I have also hit Mizunos and well... nothing feels like a Mizuno.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

10 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Played Ping Eye 2s for many years unti last year when I bougt some Titleist irons which felt softer then the Pings. Over the last year I hit others clubs and always thought they felt softer than my Titleist irons.

Yesterday I hit several  Titleist, severalMizunos and a couple Srixons. The Titleist felt like rocks. Nothing about the feel did I like. 

Buddy came by work and I mentinoed I hit the new Titleist irons. He instantly said he has always thought they felt too hard as well. 

Others thonk or feel the same? 

interesting, as I have always liked Titleist since I was a boy, so I bought the 718 ap2's last year and after 3 weeks I had to take them back saying "they felt like big lumps of hard metal on a stick".............I was gutted as they are forged but something just wasn't right.

Retailer had a 30 day exchange programme in place (thank goodness) so tried the Mizuno MP18SC and they felt and sounded the way I had expected the forged Titleist to sound, so I agreed the exchange within 5 minutes. They still feel and sound soft, but it's a Mizuno.

I actually asked if Titleist had changed their manufacturer or metal they use as they were so far from the feeling a forged club would/should give.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I think my AP1's feel softer than all of the 718 series and  the new T series.  Since Ive never hit a forged Titleist to my memory, I would think they would have a much better feel. 

I think the Mizuno MP 18 MB might be the best feeling club Ive hit so far.  Depending on how make game progresses the rest of the summer/fall and the off season, I will pull the trigger on some forged irons for sure. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I currently play some Titleist 716 T-MB irons that I've not had any problems with in terms of performance but always thought they felt a little bit harsh, especially on a mishit or a thin shot when I'm getting warmed up.  I never actually realized how HARD they felt until I recently played a demo set of some Ping i210 irons.  Of course everything is relative but compared to the Ping irons my T-MB's now feel like I'm hitting rocks instead of golf balls.  Regular tour balls on the course are ok but range balls are now brutal feeling and I even installed pro soft inserts when I regripped the Titleist irons. 

The Pings were so soft and buttery and the feel became very addicting.  I also notice my hands didn't hurt as much after a long practice session.  I'm somewhat torn now because I really like the T-MB's in the way they play but the harsh feeling is too hard to ignore, especially with the colder months coming soon.  

My bag is a revolving door!

I liked the T200, the forged face seems like a real improvement over the AP3 they replaced which had a fully cast head. I also found the T300 to be noticeably worse in terms of feel compared to most GI irons on the market as well as the 718 AP1 which I thought were above average in terms of feel for a cast club. The T200 didn't offer enough performance benefit to add it to my shortlist of irons for my fitting to justify the 30% higher price. The T200 and T300 were hit at a Titleist Thursday event a week and a half ago. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0