Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Taylormade Ardmore 3

jddaigneault

I’m new to reviewing, but here goes. 

I haven’t seen much about the Ardmore line, never mind the Ardmore 3. It is part of taylormades TP series, and absolutely is worth a look. I recently bought one of the black copper series, and it is awesome. 

The look:

It is a smaller, more compact version of a mallet. It reminds me a bit of the odyssey 7 series, but more its stubby awkward cousin. The flanges on the back look like they’d be for scooping a ball up, but this feature does not work very well. Most of the details come in the form of red accents, giving the putter a hot rod feel. The grip is a new superstroke pistol grip, with increased volume in the palm. It makes for a very relaxed hold on the club. 

The biggest negative is the headcover. When will taylormade stop using Velcro? It’s a pain in the butt! Magnetic closure please!

Performance:

This club has 42 degrees of toe hang, so it is great for someone with an arcing putter stroke. It has some decent heft to it, so it feels controlled throughout the swing. The face is very responsive. My prior putter had a softer face, so it felt like I had to hit it harder than I thought based on the length of the putt and speed of the greens. This made lags very difficult to judge. The ball comes off the face of the Ardmore a lot hotter, which makes lag putts far more manageable. The only adjustment comes with downhill putts that are fairly short. It can be difficult to touch them light enough not to see them run way past the hole if your line is off. Speaking of line, the alignment aid is quite nice, making putts very easy to line up. It rolls them true, and I’ve seen my average putts per round go from about 37 with my old putter to 33 with the Ardmore. 

No more blaming the flat stick for a bad round!

If you’re someone who has a fairly pronounced arc in your stroke, and struggles with lag putts, I highly recommend this putter. You can’t beat the price either, coming in below the odyssey lines, and well below the spider!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Tiger played some version of this putter in 2018. Since I tend to favor mallets akin to the Odyssey #7 or even wide blade putters, the Ardmore has been an intriguing option since I first saw it. Nice review.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Good info, but .. always nice to see a few different pics, too.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Good info, but .. always nice to see a few different pics, too.

I got you! I was just not going to the trunk at 10 something PM when I wrote this. 

E3AEA95F-B121-41F3-A4FA-C7820330D2AA.jpeg

C8200DEA-13A2-48EF-A975-A945FFBA5A8F.jpeg

143EBCD7-66B0-401C-BD53-257BC9B9E86A.jpeg

EFCE7739-D779-4805-ACBA-B7A7F0032DC9.jpeg

1C207695-6C82-475D-92B3-82EEC9AB1E51.jpeg

B6AF7B80-5D46-408B-993F-5A56C6C870F9.jpeg

6C7F2088-1A7F-482B-8CE1-428E1FF203C2.jpeg

63FDAD33-57B6-46B9-8785-A73592FE5D13.jpeg

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

• 11 months later...

I bought the same putter a few months back as a lot of the clubs, here in Dubai, where performing their annual maintenance so a lot of greens were treated and therefore significantly slower. I have been using a Bettinardi SS28, which is great on fast greens, but wasn't working for me on slower greens. As soon as I picked up the Ardmore 3 i liked the feel. The Pistol grip is perfect, just the right size and a firm, tacky feel. What i notice is how quickly the ball roles, no skip at all. The insert means I putt the ball significantly further than the SS28 with the same backswing. I'm making 10-15 footers far more regularly and, while i bought it as a fix for the maintenance season, i think its in the bag to stay!!