Sign in to follow this  
bens197

Different grips for different strokes

For the past three months I wanted to try something different with my putting. I decided to switch to a smaller putter grip. Above all, I wanted to reduce as much weight as possible at the grip end thus allowing me to feel the putter head better during the stroke.

I’ve always been someone who grips the putter the same way I hold my irons or woods. Occasionally I’ll switch my overlap pinky and if I need to cure a fix I’ll put my left index and pinky above my right hand rather than grip it like I swing a club.

I went through my grandpa’s old stock of grips and found a GP Tour Velvet Pistol that was in good shape.

First impression was I started holding the putter with a much gentler grip. Baby bird was what I used to say when lining up a makable putt; I would imagine a baby bird between my hands to release tension.

I’m curious if anyone else has gone back and forth between different brand and sized grips.

IMG_9172.JPG

IMG_9171.JPG

• Like 2

Grips are part of the equation in figuring out what putter is best for you. Weight, size, taper, shape, etc will slightly alter how you move the putter through the stroke.

Grips are part of the equation in figuring out what putter is best for you. Weight, size, taper, shape, etc will slightly alter how you move the putter through the stroke.

As well as the most cost-efficient variable in troubleshooting a poor stroke in a putter you like.

My feeling has been that your putter grip (not the club... your hands), needs to be different than your grip on all other clubs.  It doesn't matter what the grip is, just that it should be different.  On full swings you release the club, and if you use the same grip for putting, the tendency is to release too much which leads to inconsistent putting.  I suppose everyone is different, but that is what I have found with my stroke.

• Like 2

As well as the most cost-efficient variable in troubleshooting a poor stroke in a putter you like.

The most cost efficient way is to just figure out how to make the putter work. The grip is a fine tuning kind of tool and not something used to fix a poor stroke.

The most cost efficient way is to just figure out how to make the putter work. The grip is a fine tuning kind of tool and not something used to fix a poor stroke.

Putting is the most personal of all equipment and strokes. Holding a grip that fits you better not only offers confidence, it promotes better mechanics.
  • Like 1

Putting is the most personal of all equipment and strokes. Holding a grip that fits you better not only offers confidence, it promotes better mechanics.

Have to disagree. All swings are personal but have specific traits that get the player to the correct impact position to optimize performance. A grip can help fine tune getting back to correct impact position but doesn’t change mechanics.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Have to disagree. All swings are personal but have specific traits that get the player to the correct impact position to optimize performance. A grip can help fine tune getting back to correct impact position but doesn’t change mechanics.

yup, I have tried loads of different grip sizes and grip styles, my basic mechanics dont change even though some grips felt so good I was exuding confidence - until it pulled left, yet again 😂

• Like 2

That’s fair
  • Like 1

I just recently put the 140cc Golf Pride TOUR SNSR contour on my EXO after using one on a friend's putter and picking up a backup with the 104cc Contour (also to achieve some counterweighting as my ideal headweight seems to be in the 345-350g range). I am not a fan of small/standard size grips like the stock odyssey pistol that came with it. I can palm a basketball so my hands are above average size. The Ping online fitting tool recommends standard grips on irons but i prefer mid size. I also like the SuperStroke grips in 2.0 and 3.0 sizes as it doesn't feel like my hands are swallowing the putter grip. The bigger grips seem to minimize wrist breakdown and hold my forward press. 

• Like 1

Nobody mentioned it, but many are using weight above the grip to provide counterbalance. I think that's opposite of where you suggest heading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I know I'm mentioned this before but I've gone through a wide variety of SS shapes and sizes over the year before coming to rest on my Flat Cat Fat. It's an experiment for sure.

The EVNROLL putter I am testing came with a Gravity Grip. No spoilers to my test, as the Stage 1s havent even been posted, but I would strongly suggest you try and put your hands on a putter with the GG.

• Like 2

Nobody mentioned it, but many are using weight above the grip to provide counterbalance. I think that's opposite of where you suggest heading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It is. I loved my Anser and will eventually return to it. I love the science behind stroke lab and my Betty has helped me feel the head much better.

I know I'm mentioned this before but I've gone through a wide variety of SS shapes and sizes over the year before coming to rest on my Flat Cat Fat. It's an experiment for sure.

I tried one last season with not so much success. I am endlessly searching for a grip to help me maintain the feeling of my left wrist staying square to the target as I can still feel the clubhead during stroke. It’s not a lot to ask but I feel like I’m being quirky.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I tried one last season with not so much success. I am endlessly searching for a grip to help me maintain the feeling of my left wrist staying square to the target as I can still feel the clubhead during stroke. It’s not a lot to ask but I feel like I’m being quirky.

Well Steve, with the new line of the Pro Only Golf Prides, maybe you'll find a beat of both worlds for the feel of your current grip with the shape you're desiring

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bens197 said:

You are not being quirky,  you just need to find the right balance of weight distribution through the club.   If you like the feel of the strokelab because you can feel the head,  try to setup other putters with that ratio of head to grip weight and total weight. 

• Like 1