Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

UST or Fujikura?

Parski

I always like UST shafts, especially the (yellow) UST V2 shaft. But I've been reading a lot of good things about Fujikura shafts, esp. after MyGolfSpy is so high on the Ventus shaft. But it's $350 price point scares me a bit, so I recently bought the Fujikura Pro 65 for my driver (Ping G400).  

Any others experience both the UST and Fujikura shafts? 

Is the Ventus shaft really worth the pricey investment (over its Pro 65 shaft)?

All shafts are good, provided you pick the shaft that works for you. You can spend $50 or $800 and end up with the perfect shaft or a shaft that doesn’t work at all. Finding the right shaft is all about trial and error. I have tried the Ventus blue and it is a great shaft

For the right player. I have a V2 in my driver that I am trying based on some online fittings and it seems to work ok but will occasionally spin too much.

Your best bet is to figure out a budget and then try various shafts and see what works. You can go the buy and sell route, rental route, or find a fitter that fits non stock options.

Why did you pick the shaft you did and does it meet you expectations?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

All shafts are good, provided you pick the shaft that works for you. You can spend $50 or $800 and end up with the perfect shaft or a shaft that doesn’t work at all. Finding the right shaft is all about trial and error. I have tried the Ventus blue and it is a great shaft

For the right player. I have a V2 in my driver that I am trying based on some online fittings and it seems to work ok but will occasionally spin too much.

Your best bet is to figure out a budget and then try various shafts and see what works. You can go the buy and sell route, rental route, or find a fitter that fits non stock options.

Why did you pick the shaft you did and does it meet you expectations?

Bingo. When talking brands like fujikura, ust, mistubishi chemicals, project x, graphite design, etc they all make good products. The shaft profile fit to your swing is the one that’s the right choice 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 months later...

The ventus is legit good. I played a blue 7X in my driver for most of the year. I got the itch and traded it for a hazrdus hulk TX and wish I had not. The Ventus is so point and shoot it is crazy. The super stiff tip keeps the spin down while the rest of the shaft profile allows it to load to the point, you can feel the head through the entire swing. While not exactly as it is impossible. The blue is almost that unicorn of high launch low spin. it is more mid launch and low spin but on the high side of mide launch. 

That being said all shaft companies produce good stuff. Find what you like. 

Edited by Quigleyd

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 3 weeks later...

If the V2 is working no need for changing. UST and Fuji have different ideas on shaft profiling as a result both make great shafts.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 4 months later...

exactly what everyone else said. Now a days, almost all graphite shafts on the market are extremely high quality. And all the shafts you're talking about are great, but not all of them will fit your swing. The most important thing when shopping for shafts is to make sure that they match your swing. You have to look at the numbers, spin, launch angle, swing speed, ball speed, etc. After comparing will you know which shaft is made for you. 

But the UST Proforce V2 is an amazing shaft and I have kept it in my bag for the last 4 years despite changing drivers. 

M5 7.5Deg UST Proforce V2 tipped 1" strong 70g X

M5 Rocket 3 14deg UST Proforce V2  70g X

GaparLo 2 17deg KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X

4-iron Titleist T-MB Project X 6.5

5-Pw Taylormade P7TW Project X 6.5

52 Slate Blue Vokey SM7 Project X 6.5

56 Jet Black Vokey SM7 Project X 6.0

60 HiToe Mill Grind Project X 6.0

2 hours ago, Fullsendglf said:

exactly what everyone else said. Now a days, almost all graphite shafts on the market are extremely high quality. And all the shafts you're talking about are great, but not all of them will fit your swing. The most important thing when shopping for shafts is to make sure that they match your swing. You have to look at the numbers, spin, launch angle, swing speed, ball speed, etc. After comparing will you know which shaft is made for you. 

But the UST Proforce V2 is an amazing shaft and I have kept it in my bag for the last 4 years despite changing drivers. 

Did you try something else in your sim fitting to see if you could get better spin numbers with the sim?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Did you try something else in your sim fitting to see if you could get better spin numbers with the sim?

I sure did. My fitting was at a Taylormade fitting event. So they had every shaft offering available to test during the fitting. During my fitting process I started with my M5 with my V2 shaft in it to get baseline numbers. From there they gave me a SIM with my V2 shaft from my M5. After a few swings, the fitter didn't like the spin or launch and started handing me all sorts of different shafts. We tested the Hzrdous Smoke green, Ventus blue and black, Diamania s Limited, Mistubishi Tensi Pro White, hoping to find a better combination but were unable to. In the end he recommended that if I do decide to upgrade to the SIM that i could either play the Smoke green and get it tipped two inches like my current gamer or to play my current gamer shaft in the new head.

M5 7.5Deg UST Proforce V2 tipped 1" strong 70g X

M5 Rocket 3 14deg UST Proforce V2  70g X

GaparLo 2 17deg KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X

4-iron Titleist T-MB Project X 6.5

5-Pw Taylormade P7TW Project X 6.5

52 Slate Blue Vokey SM7 Project X 6.5

56 Jet Black Vokey SM7 Project X 6.0

60 HiToe Mill Grind Project X 6.0

On 9/3/2019 at 8:32 AM, Parski said:

I always like UST shafts, especially the (yellow) UST V2 shaft. But I've been reading a lot of good things about Fujikura shafts, esp. after MyGolfSpy is so high on the Ventus shaft. But it's $350 price point scares me a bit, so I recently bought the Fujikura Pro 65 for my driver (Ping G400).  

Can't argue with the find what suits your swing theme in the thread. But the Ventus is a fantastic shaft, my new favorite. Gives a nice smooth whip through the ball, but is still extremely consistent. The Black is as stiff as the HZRDUS line, without feeling like rebar.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, Parski said:

If it aint broke don't fix it, UST has always fit my swing well. and one of the few manufacturers that make a heavy shaft.  

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

• 1 month later...

These are two brands I have gamed for a long time. Trust earned as I have always experienced positive results after proper fitting from both.

I literally could flip a coin if I had to and could fit either brand models into my clubs. Bottom line, i would tell anyone to get flex/feel dialed in and they should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've played both and several others.  I think the only shafts I typically have not liked are the made for shafts that are typically mid spin and mid launch and very whippy.  My swing is not the same as the majority of golfers out there so I understand it's not a fit.  However, 15 years ago when I would just grab a club off the rack and look at stiffness, i would discount certain clubs/shaft manufacturers and say I didn't like them because of my lack of knowledge.  Now there is so much information and reviews out there so you can try to narrow down a few shafts that will likely work in your head.  Still you want to take advice of a fitter and be open to everything as sometimes and odd combination can just work for someone.

My question comes as to when you know to shorten a shaft?  When to make it a bit softer or stiffer than what it plays?   My driver is very inconsistent from right to left dispersion, but my distance is just fine.  I can fine the middle without a ton of trouble but its usually a swing path issue.  Would shortening help me?  The fittings I've done don't provide shorter shafts really, so it would be a gamble.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

38 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I've played both and several others.  I think the only shafts I typically have not liked are the made for shafts that are typically mid spin and mid launch and very whippy.  My swing is not the same as the majority of golfers out there so I understand it's not a fit.  However, 15 years ago when I would just grab a club off the rack and look at stiffness, i would discount certain clubs/shaft manufacturers and say I didn't like them because of my lack of knowledge.  Now there is so much information and reviews out there so you can try to narrow down a few shafts that will likely work in your head.  Still you want to take advice of a fitter and be open to everything as sometimes and odd combination can just work for someone.

My question comes as to when you know to shorten a shaft?  When to make it a bit softer or stiffer than what it plays?   My driver is very inconsistent from right to left dispersion, but my distance is just fine.  I can fine the middle without a ton of trouble but its usually a swing path issue.  Would shortening help me?  The fittings I've done don't provide shorter shafts really, so it would be a gamble.

Shafts aren’t really going to fix a swing path issue. A heavier shaft may help or one with a stiffer ei profile may help deliver more consistently but swing path issues are usually fixed with proper sequencing.

Tipping extra would make it play stiffer but that samething could also be done with a shaft that has a stiffer tip profile. Length can be preference for some but if someone is hitting center consistently most fitters aren’t gong to recommend shortening it.  

In my experience fitters vary in how they address going with tipping vs a different shaft or length. It’s also hard for many to do because they are limited in what shafts they have access to and they are all usually standard length, plus recommended something different without having the customer able to test it. Places like Club Champion, Tourspec, TXG would be better equipped and doing this than most fitters.

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Shafts aren’t really going to fix a swing path issue. A heavier shaft may help or one with a stiffer ei profile may help deliver more consistently but swing path issues are usually fixed with proper sequencing.

Tipping extra would make it play stiffer but that samething could also be done with a shaft that has a stiffer tip profile. Length can be preference for some but if someone is hitting center consistently most fitters aren’t gong to recommend shortening it.  

In my experience fitters vary in how they address going with tipping vs a different shaft or length. It’s also hard for many to do because they are limited in what shafts they have access to and they are all usually standard length, plus recommended something different without having the customer able to test it. Places like Club Champion, Tourspec, TXG would be better equipped and doing this than most fitters.

Completely agree.  It's going to take some lessons to get it fixed.  Funny you should say heavier shaft because that's exactly what assisted me in the fitting at club champion in 2018.  Currently playing a 7X shaft which I think is 78 grams.  Also, was just fit into the Ventus Black 7X at a recent demo day - believe me tried several other cheap options first.  But that did help me take the right side (pull or hook for me) out of the mix which was very nice feeling.  

Thanks for the information regarding shaft length and tipping.  I've watched the TXG video about shaft length and it seems you may improve strike point in most cases and lose a bit of speed, but it could be made up by quality of strike and consistency.  Obviously, this would not be everyone, but considering going to a place like that once again to specifically try a shorter version of the ventus or a similar profile shaft. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

52 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Completely agree.  It's going to take some lessons to get it fixed.  Funny you should say heavier shaft because that's exactly what assisted me in the fitting at club champion in 2018.  Currently playing a 7X shaft which I think is 78 grams.  Also, was just fit into the Ventus Black 7X at a recent demo day - believe me tried several other cheap options first.  But that did help me take the right side (pull or hook for me) out of the mix which was very nice feeling.  

Thanks for the information regarding shaft length and tipping.  I've watched the TXG video about shaft length and it seems you may improve strike point in most cases and lose a bit of speed, but it could be made up by quality of strike and consistency.  Obviously, this would not be everyone, but considering going to a place like that once again to specifically try a shorter version of the ventus or a similar profile shaft. 

I’ve been reading and following Bradley Hughes for several months and he dives into the heavier clubs and how they help the swing. He believes the trend of lighter and more upright lies are detrimental to golfers and are a cause for lots of swing issues as well as modern teaching of being on plane in the backswing and downswing. 

I was using 70+gram hzrdus yellow in my g400. Played m1 with 65g attas coool this weekend and driver was all over the place. Spent some time on the range with sim max and the 60g 6.0 smoke green on the range and was little more consistent but swing path was still a little out of whack. I’m pondering Re-tipping and putting my ventus blue 6x in the sim max as well as pondering one of the Lin-q shafts...not sure what weight and flex to use in them. I’ve had the helium several times and was amazed at how stable it was for a 59g shaft, I have the coool and the attas 10 and like them

I’ve been reading and following Bradley Hughes for several months and he dives into the heavier clubs and how they help the swing. He believes the trend of lighter and more upright lies are detrimental to golfers and are a cause for lots of swing issues as well as modern teaching of being on plane in the backswing and downswing. 

I was using 70+gram hzrdus yellow in my g400. Played m1 with 65g attas coool this weekend and driver was all over the place. Spent some time on the range with sim max and the 60g 6.0 smoke green on the range and was little more consistent but swing path was still a little out of whack. I’m pondering Re-tipping and putting my ventus blue 6x in the sim max as well as pondering one of the Lin-q shafts...not sure what weight and flex to use in them. I’ve had the helium several times and was amazed at how stable it was for a 59g shaft, I have the coool and the attas 10 and like them

I think everyone is different. I went from a 60gr to 50gr in my driver with a slightly better dispersion and higher ball flight(this was my goal)

For my irons I play a heavier 120gr shaft that seems to help my tempo as I tend to over swing when the irons get too light.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think everyone is different. I went from a 60gr to 50gr in my driver with a slightly better dispersion and higher ball flight(this was my goal)

For my irons I play a heavier 120gr shaft that seems to help my tempo as I tend to over swing when the irons get too light.

For sure. I’ve been in the 59-67g range for driver and the hzrdus yellow 75g is the only option ping had so wasn’t able to test/fit for the 64g or whatever their 60 series weighs. 

But yeah the desired ball flight will have a role in shaft choice.