Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cleveland Golf Introduces Frontline

Golfspy_CG2

CLEVELAND GOLF INTRODUCES FRONTLINE,

A COMPLETELY NEW WAY TO DESIGN A PUTTER

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – Sept. 3, 2019 – Cleveland® Golf, where scoring matters, is proud to announce the release of Frontline. With a radical new weighting brings the center of gravity forward, Frontline provides a revolutionary process for engineering a putter. Frontline launches in North America on Sept. 13, 2019.

“We are very excited about Frontline because it is a completely new approach to putter design,” said Jacob Lambeth, Research and Development Engineer at Cleveland Golf. “By pairing an extreme center of gravity with an improved speed optimized face, we’ve designed a putter that uniquely maximizes directional and speed consistency. Combined with slick black cosmetics, great shapes and hosel options for different stroke types, Frontline really is the whole package.”

With Frontline, the challenge was creating a putter that’s powerful enough to counteract miss-hits and provide consistently straighter putts. The foundation of Frontline is Tungsten Forward Weighting, which places two Metal Injection Molded (MIM) tungsten weights in the face of the putter.

For decades, most mallets have weights in the rear of the putter to increase stability on off-center impacts, but this design places the center of gravity in the back of the putter. Frontline does the opposite, bringing the center of gravity forward for more accuracy on the greens.

Frontline features Cleveland’s Speed Optimized Face Technology (SOFT), which normalizes ball speed across the face for consistent distance performance on every putt. Every model in Frontline features an individualized SOFT pattern to help mitigate speed and distance loss, especially on off-center strikes.

Frontline offers three different mallet options that include Cleveland’s 2135 Technology to help with proper alignment when standing over that critical putt. Finally, Frontline offers two different hosel types to help provide a superior fit: single bend and slant neck. The single bend option is ideal for straight stroke types, while the slant neck option fits best for golfers with a slight arc stroke.

Key Innovations Inside Frontline:

·         Forward Weights: With Tungsten Forward Weighting and the center of gravity positioned closer to the face, Frontline provides better stability through impact for straighter, more accurate putts.

·         Speed Optimized Face Technology: Cleveland’s proprietary Speed Optimized Face Technology normalizes ball speed across the face, ensuring consistent distance performance on all your putts.

·         2135 Technology: Featured on the Elevado, Cero and Iso models, achieve perfect alignment on every putt, regardless of where your eyes are at address.

·         Additional Hosel Configurations: Find a superior fit with two different hosel configurations to suit every player’s stroke types.

Frontline comes standard with the Lamkin SINKFit Pistol Frontline grip and is available in 33”, 34”, and 35” length options. The Frontline 4.0 blade MAP is $179.99, while the three different mallet models (Elevado, Cero and Iso) MAP is $199.99. The Frontline Elevado, Cero and Iso feature single bend or slant neck hosel options.

For more detailed information on Frontline, please visit: clevelandgolf.com.

Frontline Putters (1).jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If you haven't already, check out @GolfSpy Barbajo's take on the new line from Cleveland: https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-cleveland-frontline-putters/

I have to say, I'm intrigued. I love the soft feel of my Cleveland Elevado 2135, and the all black setup for these is really appealing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Have rolled each model and I gotta say, they're interesting feeling putters. The extreme forward CG definitely feels different. 

I'm not a blade guy, but I did sink 5 of my first 6 eight to ten footers with the 4.0 on the practice green. During the round, however, my issues with blades came back and I had trouble lining it up consistently. The Cero - with the rounded backside - was my favorite, although I do prefer a mid-mallet.  As advertised, distance control is exceptional, it's just a matter of finding a head shape that you can square up consistently.

None of the shapes do it for me personally - if they come out with a Cleveland #2 in this tech, tho, I am all over it!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Already have 9 Cleveland putters but will try out the new ones. Still hard to beat my T-Frame and my Gutcheck (360 gr with the belly putter shaft cut down to 36" and a heavy snsr grip). My Camerons are second string to those two and two of my snake eyes putters.

• 3 weeks later...

Still gaming the HB#11 2nd year lineup and what a fantastic putter! The elevado has definitely caught my attention.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I stopped at Edwin Watts today to take a look at the new wedges and putters that have recently been released. I spent 15 minutes on their practice green trying the new Cleveland Frontline putter versus the Ping Sigma 2. Out of the first 10 putts with the Frontline, I made eight, and this was from 13 feet. It was 2” shorter than what I play, and definitely lighter, but the Elevado for slight arc (my swing type) seemed to work very well. It has me intrigued!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd weigh in with some early impressions of my Frontline Elevado slant neck.

A quick customer service story to begin: I ordered my putter directly from Cleveland, and used it for a few practice sessions in my basement. During my first round on course, I noticed a small tear in the underside of the grip. It's certainly nothing that would ever affect the performance of the putter, but it's annoying when you've bought something new. I contacted Cleveland support about it, and not only did they send me a new grip, but they also sent a dozen Z Star balls as well. Above and beyond!

On feel: these are very, very different from the Satin and SOFT series from Cleveland. I really loved the muted, soft feel of my Satin Elevado, but the Frontline is considerably less soft. But I don't dislike it. It certainly isn't harsh. I've characterized it as true feeling.

I'm not in any position to evaluate my Frontline on distance control yet. The rounds I played with it on course so far were either on punched or leaf-covered greens. I won't be able to give an on course assessment until next spring, unfortunately.

What I have found so far that is a bit concerning is that, for me, this putter has a strong tendency to pull puts. I've set my PuttOUT putting gate about two feet ahead of the ball as I seek to make a straight 8-footer, and I'm quite consistently hitting the left post. If I switch to another putter (for instance, the Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 or my Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer), I'm much more consistent at getting the ball rolling through the gate.

Ironically, I wonder if the issue isn't in part the grip. I don't have a picture available now, but the oversize grip is a pistol shape. According to MGS research, there seems to be a slight left bias with many golfers with pistol grips: https://mygolfspy.com/study-the-impact-of-pistol-grips-on-putting-performance/

There's a good chance I'm going to swap out the grip that's one there for something without the pistol shape, to see if that changes anything for me.

Full WITB with pictures

11 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I thought I'd weigh in with some early impressions of my Frontline Elevado slant neck.

A quick customer service story to begin: I ordered my putter directly from Cleveland, and used it for a few practice sessions in my basement. During my first round on course, I noticed a small tear in the underside of the grip. It's certainly nothing that would ever affect the performance of the putter, but it's annoying when you've bought something new. I contacted Cleveland support about it, and not only did they send me a new grip, but they also sent a dozen Z Star balls as well. Above and beyond!

On feel: these are very, very different from the Satin and SOFT series from Cleveland. I really loved the muted, soft feel of my Satin Elevado, but the Frontline is considerably less soft. But I don't dislike it. It certainly isn't harsh. I've characterized it as true feeling.

I'm not in any position to evaluate my Frontline on distance control yet. The rounds I played with it on course so far were either on punched or leaf-covered greens. I won't be able to give an on course assessment until next spring, unfortunately.

What I have found so far that is a bit concerning is that, for me, this putter has a strong tendency to pull puts. I've set my PuttOUT putting gate about two feet ahead of the ball as I seek to make a straight 8-footer, and I'm quite consistently hitting the left post. If I switch to another putter (for instance, the Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 or my Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer), I'm much more consistent at getting the ball rolling through the gate.

Ironically, I wonder if the issue isn't in part the grip. I don't have a picture available now, but the oversize grip is a pistol shape. According to MGS research, there seems to be a slight left bias with many golfers with pistol grips: https://mygolfspy.com/study-the-impact-of-pistol-grips-on-putting-performance/

There's a good chance I'm going to swap out the grip that's one there for something without the pistol shape, to see if that changes anything for me.

Will be interested to hear your results after the grip change. I didn't care for the squared off edges on the top of the pistol grip and found it didn't sit in my hand comfortably. I prefer the alignment lines on the CERO but the Elevado head shape and will have to demo both a bit more to see which suits my eye better. 

I would describe the face as "hot", probably due to much less material removed from the face compared to the milled original HB and SOFT series. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX 9* Driver

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:touredgeexotics: CBX 119 16* 2 hyb

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Tuttle / :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

As a Cleveland Frontline tester...this putter (Elevado single bend) is very...how would you say...

Nah, I'll save it for my review. 

@jlukes something to remember...Cleveland owned NC putters at the time of the gray matters release so while this sounds familiar, it is but it isn't...the weight on the Gray Matters putters were at the heel and toe, but towards the back of the putter. This has all the weight pushed out to heel and toe, but up all up front near the face. It's a very different feeling putter that's for sure. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

You might want to get your loft and lie checked before you change grips. Mine came out of whack from Cleveland

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

6 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

You might want to get your loft and lie checked before you change grips. Mine came out of whack from Cleveland

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Interesting. It was a custom order from Cleveland, ordered a degree flat. I don't have any nearby place to check it.

I put a new grip on at lunchtime today: a Flat Cat slim. Early results with the putting gate: the majority are still hitting the left side of the gate.

Full WITB with pictures