TESTERS WANTED! ×

Patrick Gibbons Handmade - Review

$ inside.jpg

Alligator.jpg

brown shark.jpg

Introduction

Patrick Gibbons's work first came to my attention when I saw that he had cut up his fiancée's Louis Vuitton purse to make putter grips. I thought to myself, “This guy is kind of crazy…and I like it.” Since that time, I have watched as he has expanded his business from grips to cash covers, shoes, and more. Patrick specializes in using all types of exotic skins in many different colors. Regardless of whether you choose one of his handmade headcovers or belts, his products are designed to be one of a kind.

Ostrich Leg.jpg

orange crocodile.jpg

Lizard.jpg

From the Manufacturer

Started in 2007, the first Patrick Gibbons Handmade putter grips were made in the garage of his Scottsdale Arizona home, due to an uncontrollable putter addiction. Since then, we've moved out of the garage and our line of products has grown to include exotic head covers, score card holders, golf bags, shoes, belts, and of course, exotic grips. Currently, our products can be found in local retail stores and country clubs, as well as on the Gateway Tour and the LPGA Tour.

The goal at Patrick Gibbons Handmade is to produce unique and stylish handmade golf equipment by true craftsmen while using the best materials nature has to offer. The staff at Patrick Gibbons Handmade that produce these unique exotic leather golf equipment is quite diverse, ranging from leather makers from the boot and shoe industries, to bag makers from the golf industry. We do not claim that our products will drastically lower your scores or fix your swing, however we do believe that you will look and feel better while playing, and that actually may help your confidence and your game.

We're happy to say that the putter addiction has transformed into a full on golf addiction with no signs of stopping anytime soon. We also believe it is contagious.

TB SCG.jpg

Stingray.jpg

Ostrich.jpg

Review Layout

Patrick was kind enough to send a wide variety of products for this review. Since my traditional points system wouldn't really work for many of these items, I'm going to change up the format of the review. Each item will get its own heading, and I will share my comments on all aspects of the product and give it a score, 1-100. Then I will share the thoughts of the Peanut Gallery on that product along with their score.

cc1 006 (Large).jpg

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

Cash Cover & Scorecard Holder

As I mentioned, the first piece time I saw Patrick's work was when he cut up a Louis Vuitton purse and made it into a putter grip. I got quite a laugh when I saw that included in this package were cash and scorecard holders made of the same famous material.

Cash covers seem to have grown in popularity quite a bit over the last few years, and I made the switch myself about a year ago. The cash cover forces me to carry only the things I really need, and keeps me from carrying a wallet that's stuffed with five pounds of old receipts. Patrick's cash cover is beautifully executed with perfect stitching and one slot on either side for credit cards.

The scorecard holder might have been the biggest surprise for me. I have seen them before, but never really saw the need for one. When I opened the box and saw the one that Patrick had created, I wasn't sure that I needed one, just that I wanted one. Bad. Much like the cash cover, the scorecard holder is flawless; it has a long slot on one side and an angle flap on the other, plus a ring for a pen or pencil.

Prices for cash covers range from $59 to $155, scorecard covers from $139 to $295, both depending on the type of skin that is used. While the scorecard holder is certainly more of a luxury than a necessity, everyone needs a wallet and one of Patrick's cash covers is certain to last for years.

Grade: 96/100

Peanut Gallery: Everyone in the Peanut Gallery got a good laugh when they first saw the repurposed Louis Vuitton material. Well, the guys got a laugh, most of the girls gasped in horror. Regardless, they all commented on the quality of the construction. Some of the guys didn't care for the concept behind the cash cover, and, similarly, some felt that a scorecard holder is unnecessary.

Peanut Gallery Grade: 88/100

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

Full Quill Ostrich Grip

My first personal experience with Patrickinvolved sending a Gucci purse to him (my wife wasn't using it) and having him turn it into three putter grips. When I got the grips, I was immediately impressed with the quality. I've had other leather putter grips before, and Patrick's is as good as or better than those in every way. Since then I've also installed one of Patrick's leather grips on one of my putters, and I really enjoy it. The grip is a medium sized “D” shape.

The full quill ostrich grip that Patrick sent for this review was my first encounter with a more exotic skin. As expected, the quality of this handmade grip is exceptional. Personally, I was not a fan of the quills, but I was in a decided minority in that regard, as you will see.

One substantial change that Patrick has made, in response to customer feedback, is using a different underlayment for the grip. As I tried to show in the pictures, his earlier grips had a significant bugle of rubber at the bottom of the grip. The newer style of much slimmer and does not expand beyond the surface of the grip very much.

Grip prices range from $69 to $129.

Grade: 93/100

Peanut Gallery: The Peanut Gallery really enjoyed the Ostrich putter grip. My dad commented that he felt the quills “actuated the nerves” in his hands and woke up his sense. The PGA Pros at the shop loved the shape of the grip, and stated that they thought the quills could serve as a reminder of how to grip the putter. They also thought that the quills would be a source of comfort, in the sense that one might think, “Ok, I feel the quills in the right spots, I know my grip is good.” As with all of the products, everyone acknowledged the quality of the construction.

Peanut Gallery Grade: 100/100

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

Ostrich HC 1.jpg

Ostrich Driver & Putter Cover

The ostrich driver and putter covers were the only items that I received from Patrick that weren't a big “Wow” for me. Without question, the quality is every bit as good as the other items that Patrickmakes, but I'm just not sold on the concept of a big dollar club cover. I would have a tough time taking a cover that costs significant money and tossing it on the ground or potentially losing it if it fell off the cart. For me, the execution is very good, but the concept is just ok.

Grade: 88/100

Peanut Gallery: The Peanut Gallery's primary feeling toward the ostrich driver and putter covers was confusion. Many people don't even understand fancy putter covers, so an exotic driver cover was way too much to handle. Again, everyone appreciated the quality of the construction, but very few were interested in these items. The only true negative comment was from a PGA member who said that combining the ostrich skin with neoprene cheapened the overall appearance.

Peanut Gallery Grade: 85/100

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

Carp Belt

My first thought when I heard about a fish skin belt was that it would be flaky. The pictures I saw reinforced this idea, but I was proven utterly wrong when I got this piece in hand. The skin is very durable and the belt has very nice thickness. Beyond the carp, Patrick offers belts in leather, lizard, gator, and a variety of other skins. Besides choosing a skin, you can also choose from a rainbow of colors. Prices for belts range from $115 to $415.

Grade: 95/100

Peanut Gallery: The carp belt received many positive comments from the Peanut Gallery. Most of the comments centered on the substantial thickness of the belt and the richness of the skin. Many people were surprised, as I was, at how the feel contrasted with the look. The only negative comment concerned the tightness of the loop; one person thought that it might lead to increased friction and faster wear.

Peanut Gallery Grade: 89/100

Python 4 (Large).jpg

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3674.JPG

IMG_3675.JPG

Leather and Python Shoes

I had those put these last, because they are, without a doubt, the showstopper of the group. White leather with black python, built on a wooden sole with standard golf spikes. The shoe is an absolute beauty. The only problem I had was that it was not large enough for my foot, so I was not able to try it on. The pricing for the shoes has not been fully established yet.

Grade: 100/100

Peanut Gallery: These shoes elicited the funniest comment to date from the Peanut Gallery. When I removed the shoes from the box to show our PGA Professionals, one of them looked at the shoe, looked at me, and said, with utter seriousness, “You magnificent bastard.” While I think that comment would be more appropriately directed at Patrick, it illustrates how strongly everyone felt about the shoe.

All of our PGA pros started inquiring immediately about pricing, sizes, and different types of skins. My brother and my dad were similarly impressed with the notion of a handmade shoe. Perhaps most importantly, I was able to find a couple of people who were able to try the shoe on, and they all reported that the shoe was very comfortable.

Peanut Gallery Grade: 100/100

Conclusion

Patrick has succeeded in creating a whole line of products that will help any golfer to stand out on the course or anywhere else that they might be. The products are of impeccable quality, and for a product that is utterly unique and handmade, I think the value is good. If you're looking to set yourself apart from the crowd, be it with a putter grip, belt, or handmade shoes, Patrick Gibbons is the man to call.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

The belt, the shoes, Wow!

If the shoes need a home, I run 10.5-11 :)

I am also happy to make a home for the blue gator cash cover in the top photo. Nice stuff.

(Sorry about the devils. Now you can hate the Cats too.)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Sorry, buddy, most everything was shipped back to Patrick. I'm sure he'd be happy to send to you whatever you want.

As for Duke, what do you do when a team shoots 65% from 3? You shake their hand and say they were better on that night.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at what I have coming to me https://www.facebook...6204295

Sometimes we get what we deserve!

My Belt.jpg

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

• 4 weeks later...

SICK! Is that blue carp?

Yes it is, it is, adjectives to describe this would be just superfluous. I get lots of comments, mainly caused by me saying "have you seen my belt?"

Excellent value. I will order another one soon in an exotic colour.

Guys take a look at Patrick's offerings and "like" on his FB page at https://www.facebook.com/PatrickGibbonsHandmade

Quality and service like this deserve support.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Now that is some sweet leather! Would love to get some of that baby blue

post-224-0447279001301059561.jpg

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Matt, I am here for you. You're already well on your way to recovery by admitting there is an issue.

Really cool pick-ups. Did you get any additional buckles too, or just straps?

I have a new buckle on the way, it's under construction right now. The buckles got a bit ahead of the straps, so I had to balance it out a bit with this order.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a cash cover that he made for about 2 years now. It still looks as good as the day I received it. It's a purple lizard skin and have a ton of people compliment me on it when they see it.

It will also hold a rather large stack of bills with no problem. This is from when I get lucky and play on the winning team in the dog fight. Unfortunately these are always a bunch of ones.

Archived