TESTERS WANTED! ×

Building an Indoor Practice Facility

Alright everyone, I have a question for the mygolfspy world. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for securing funding to create an indoor practice facility? I am a high school golf coach in SoCal, and I’m trying to build an indoor facility for the team. Beyond the fact that it would just be glorious, it would help the kids a lot and attract golfers to my school (kids out here are allowed to choose where to go). 

The problem is these things (like everything in golf) are expensive. 

The suggestion box is open! Thanks everyone!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Laws, regulations and policies for fund raising differ from state to state and from school district to school district. I’d recommend starting with making yourself really smart on the aforementioned. Once you are fully informed on what governs your efforts then you can move forward.

The best place to ask for funding is your alumni association. If you don’t have one at your school then consider building one. Krispy Cream sales will only get you so far towards your end goal. A strong relationship with those who have an emotional attachment to the school will go a lot further than individual fund raising efforts. Your alumni yield a tremendous amount of economic power. Concurrently I’d attempt to build a relationship with vendors and sponsors. You might get some free stuff or at least discounted items making your end goal easier to attain.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I like your idea and it can be done. Privately. Perhaps the school system can provide the space/grounds to build on. They give/lease you the acreage you need and you raise the funds and get it built. We're doing this right now where I live. Although our project is substantially larger (and we're a 501c3) it's the same principal IMO. Our acreage is about 40 and we're leasing for $1/yr. I won't go into more details but I'd ask the school for starters. Just ask them "what if" I could do such and such "would you do this?" If they won't corporate or they're not interested then move to plan B whatever that may be.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

They’re basically giving us a unused building on campus to make our own. Beyond that, they aren’t giving any financial benefit. I definitely want to work on some form of contract that shows the golf team owns the equipment, so the district can’t try and take over the facility. 

Thanks for the info!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

11 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

I definitely want to work on some form of contract that shows the golf team owns the equipment, so the district can’t try and take over the facility.

I wouldn't think that'd be a problem. They own the building and any equipment other than the structure is yours. Write it up and get going.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

18 minutes ago, Pandaman said:

How about looking into some form of collaboration with local golf clubs?

After all it is potentially helping to recruit more membership for them.

This.

My local range has covered bays and a lot of the local HS teams practice there in the afternoon. Save you a ton of fund-raising headaches and equipment purchases. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I’m reaching out to local clubs, but they already give us a ton of free golf so I don’t want to go to the well too many times. Access to practice is less the issue, but more so access to the data simulators provide. 

And we could play Augusta during the masters week...which is just cool. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

What is the end cost? Are you trying to build state-of-the-art upfront or is the plan to improve as you go?

If you go small with a $500 mat, $100 hitting net and a personnel launch monitor for around $500 this set up might peak the interest of those who support the program. You can certainly expand as resources improve. I’ve done a bunch of “love on a budget” projects that ultimately ended up fully funded. If a couple grand gets your foot in the door then local fund raising events such as car washes, donut sales, popcorn sales (huge profit margin), etc..... should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

42 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

What is the end cost? Are you trying to build state-of-the-art upfront or is the plan to improve as you go?

If you go small with a $500 mat, $100 hitting net and a personnel launch monitor for around $500 this set up might peak the interest of those who support the program. You can certainly expand as resources improve. I’ve done a bunch of “love on a budget” projects that ultimately ended up fully funded. If a couple grand gets your foot in the door then local fund raising events such as car washes, donut sales, popcorn sales (huge profit margin), etc..... should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ultimately we’d like to build a state of the art facility, but we’re prepared for it to be a project that could take a few years. While it’d be nice to get it all done in one shot, I’m not banking on that. 

Total project is $45,000.00. So yeah...it’s a lot...

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

1 hour ago, jddaigneault said:

Ultimately we’d like to build a state of the art facility, but we’re prepared for it to be a project that could take a few years. While it’d e nice to get it all done in one shot, I’m not banking on that. 

oTotal project is $45,000.00. So yeah...it’s a lot...

Ok let me brainstorm here in my response........   This is what I would do.   I would definitely start out with a "love on a budget" hitting bay.   If you don't claim your land you may lose it so get in there now and start setting up shop.  The next thing I would do is go on line and steal a picture of what you would like the practice facility to ultimately look.  Take that pic and have your local Kinkos make you are 11x14 poster; frame it and put it in a high traffic area of your location.  Next to the poster put a graphic of a Thermometer that you can update as funds increase.  Draw a line at $45k and fill in the thermometer with Red as your capital grows.  

Try to reach as many former school lettermen golfers as possible.  Most people have FB/Instagram or tweeter.  Develop a letter to be sent to each of them explaining your vision and how that would possibly help to change the construct of Golf at Rock Hard High School.  Golf teams are relatively small so building a database of alumni shouldn't be to hard.  Hell, you could sell planks of wood to be installed on the floor of the facility with the name of the specific donors.   

Caveat: Ensure your Principal and Athletic Director are on board with your fund raising efforts.  They will probably won't to get approval from your School District's legal representation before giving you the go ahead.  

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Have you thought about writing a grant?  Having a building is a great start.  I would contact the baseball or football coach to see if they have any turf (if your school uses turf) left over that you could use (for now).  That said, my first choice would be to go to your home course and see if they have any old mats that you could use.  I would do the same with the baseball/softball coach for any extra or old netting from the batting cages, the spacing is larger however you could fold it over itself a few time if needed.  Your school should also have projectors that you could use for the screen so all you would really need is the program and a launch monitor.  This is all on the cheap but would work as you are trying to raise money.  Just a thought.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I’ve written a couple. Our city has a matching grant as well. 

We do have projectors but old mats and netting is a great idea! Our local course just replaced their netting, so we might be able to use the old one if they still have it!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW