Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping Golf (vs) Marijuana Shop

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Ping Golf is threatening to close up shop and move their headquarters from there current location. The reason....a medical marijuana shop. A Ping spokesperson says they are considering taking their $170 million dollar HQ renovations to another town if the marijuana shop moves into what they consider an already declining hood.

The city has already granted the permits for the medical weed shop although they might reconsider because of this threat from Ping.

“We're con­cerned about the safety and wel­fare of our employ­ees, vis­i­tors and the many junior golfers who visit our facil­ity, Ping chair­man and chief exec­u­tive John Sol­heim said in an e-mailed state­ment. “A med­ical mar­i­juana dis­pen­sary so close may attract indi­vid­u­als seek­ing to cir­cum­vent the intent of the med­ical mar­i­juana law.” says Ping chair­man and chief exec­u­tive John Sol­heim.

#TruthDigest

... also reported "The Solheims are afraid employees will show up to work high as a kite and build drives that fly higher, and wedges that are groovy."

This just in... Ping has filed for trademark rights to "K-GB, High-bread, Greenwood, and carry bags will now be called Dime-Sacks"

I hear there's a crack house next to the Kingdom.

I spy with my little eye something...

I'm shaking my head. I would expect more sympathy for the cancer patients who need medicinal marijuana to combat the very real effects of chemotherapy, from an enormous company like PING. I'm honestly very disappointed.

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

I'm changing my avatar because of this. I may change a few clubs in my bag as well, pending what happens on this. I personally know more than one individual who used medicinal marijuana because it was the only thing that alleviated their suffering during chemotherapy.

I'm shaking my head. I would expect more sympathy for the cancer patients who need medicinal marijuana to combat the very real effects of chemotherapy, from an enormous company like PING. I'm honestly very disappointed.

There are plenty of places such a shop can set up. Near churches, playgrounds, police stations, hospitals, schools, grocery stores... does not need to be next to or close to Ping. Many of these places might even be more convenient to those patients you concern yourself about.

Shambles

There are plenty of places such a shop can set up. Near churches, playgrounds, police stations, hospitals, schools, grocery stores... does not need to be next to or close to Ping. Many of these places might even be more convenient to those patients you concern yourself about.

Shambles

I especially would prefer the "near police stations"... to ensure the weed distribution center's integrity. These things are all well and good if used with the right intentions, but how many things in the world were started with good intentions that fell to the dark side? I'd also back Ping's comments of protecting their junior golfers, if said center were to fall to the wayside.

Shambles

Given that we don't know any of the specifics, I'm going to give the dispensary the benefit of the doubt that they considered all available locations, and chose the best one, pending a link to the original article. You are correct that the decision on the location of the dispensary should be made 100% based on the needs of the patients, and 0% based on the needs of the PING golf corp.

Well as someone once put it "we are currently living in the United States of the offended" It seems like today anything you do today offends someone. I think Ping is trying to throw its weight around like so many big companies are doing today. From what I have seen the Medical Marijuana business is regulated like a conventional drug store. I wonder what Ping would have said if they had put a Walgreen's there instead?Personally I see no problem with it if people need it to ease their suffering. I dont see any more scamming for it than I see and read about people scamming for Oxycotin etc at a conventional drug store

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well as someone once put it "we are currently living in the United States of the offended" It seems like today anything you do today offends someone. I think Ping is trying to throw its weight around like so many big companies are doing today. From what I have seen the Medical Marijuana business is regulated like a conventional drug store. I wonder what Ping would have said if they had put a Walgreen's there instead?Personally I see no problem with it if people need it to ease their suffering. I dont see any more scamming for it than I see and read about people scamming for Oxycotin etc at a conventional drug store

This.

Having lost my mother to Cancer, in a State where it wasn't legal to combat the pain and suffering she went through, Ping get's a huge thumbs down for being a bunch of douches!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I have "severe arthritis” in my knees by the government standard (Canada) and I qualify for the medical exemption. Anyone who is old enough to recall the reefer madness movie knows just how foolish this draconian law actually is. Here in Canada it was all set to be decriminalized until there was a change in our federal government and they decided to promote their get tough on crime law which included grass.

Furthermore, the Chief of Police in Toronto publically stated it is foolish and a waste of time. This included Crown Attorneys and Judges who are amongst my friends.

To bad Ping is still watching the movie.

Ping is in a sketchy area of town. It's really gone downhill over the years. They've already got a couple of strip clubs across the street. Ping employs over 800 people and is looking to drop $170m into a renovation of their facility. They basically told the city council that if they don't do something to clean up the area, they were going to put that money into a new facility elsewhere.

I personally don't have a problem with medical marijuana shops. But regardless of state laws, they're in violation of all kinds of federal laws. I can understand a company with the corporate culture of Ping not wanting a marijuana dispensary, strip clubs, adult toy stores etc across the street from their place of business.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/north_phoenix/ping-golf-objects-to-pot-dispensary

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

The contriversy over state laws being contrary to federal law has been discussed It all has to do with states rights. Here in South Carolina the House and senate are fighting the Feds over the deal with the new light bulbs (for your house). The state is refusing to mandate it due to part that we have a light bulb manufacturing plant that will shutdown at the end of the year. I can remember this state fighting the feds over the years on the 55 mph speed limit,the bill allowing double truck trailers and the Commercial Drivers License to name a few. Now we are set to pass a new concelead weapons law. It is what keeps the lawyers going

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ping is in a sketchy area of town. It's really gone downhill over the years. They've already got a couple of strip clubs across the street. Ping employs over 800 people and is looking to drop $170m into a renovation of their facility. They basically told the city council that if they don't do something to clean up the area, they were going to put that money into a new facility elsewhere.

I personally don't have a problem with medical marijuana shops. But regardless of state laws, they're in violation of all kinds of federal laws. I can understand a company with the corporate culture of Ping not wanting a marijuana dispensary, strip clubs, adult toy stores etc across the street from their place of business.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/north_phoenix/ping-golf-objects-to-pot-dispensary

Thank you for posting that link and shedding some more light on the situation. I definitely sympathize with PING as far as the strip clubs and other adult-oriented businesses goes. It sounds like some urban renewal is needed in that area to make things safer for junior golfers and visitors of all ages and walks of life, including those suffering from debilitating diseases who legitimately need medicinal marijuana.

Makes a little more sense now, but why move AWAY from the strip clubs, wouldn't you want to move closer..:rolleyes:

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

My guess would be that Ping wants to move anyway and this is just a way to do so and vilify the pot dispensary. If Ping just up and moved because of a few strip clubs or whatever, people could spin it the other way that they gave up on the community. This way, Ping looks like the victim, even though they were going to move regardless.

In 2011, I can't believe we are still acting like weed is a big deal.

My guess would be that Ping wants to move anyway and this is just a way to do so and vilify the pot dispensary. If Ping just up and moved because of a few strip clubs or whatever, people could spin it the other way that they gave up on the community. This way, Ping looks like the victim, even though they were going to move regardless.

In 2011, I can't believe we are still acting like weed is a big deal.

I disagree.

The Solheims have long been known for their strict adherence to their code of behaviour and are very visible in their treatment of their employees and their company. A touch too straight laced for many of todays relaxed society but not believeable as a devious underhanded dealer.

Shambles

I disagree.

The Solheims have long been known for their strict adherence to their code of behaviour and are very visible in their treatment of their employees and their company. A touch too straight laced for many of todays relaxed society but not believeable as a devious underhanded dealer.

Shambles

I agree with Shambles. Maybe we should be relaxed on weed, maybe not. I don't know. But like I said, I know of some (not personally, through people at work) who are already abusing their "right" to grow pot for medicinal use. I'm not big into oversight, either, but something so... edgy (?)... needs close regulation. Would that, or could that, be given where the dispensory would be?

I know this is a very hot-button topic, but still...

Archived