Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Anyone changed from Stiff to Regular in Driver?

perseveringgolfer

My SS is about 100mph for Driver.

I play S in irons and fairway/hybrid but struggle with the Driver as I like a light combo and always feel I have to heave the driver into place.

I'd like to experiment with a regular shaft for feel as to where the clubhead is during the swing.

Anyone on here who plays S in irons but R in Driver?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I changed about 2 years ago now---- For years my shaft in the driver and FWs was the old Pro Force UST Gold 65 or either the Pro Force V-2------ Got to where I could not swing them anymore. most of my irons were S-300s got to where I could not swing them anymore. Right now I hit  Homna R shaft in the driver and the only FW I carry I have a R Diamana. Irons in my classic Macgregors I have the old Hogan Apex #2 steel shafts which is a senior flex but frequencies out at about a modern R-300---- My KZG CBs I am hitting a steel Rifle 5.5. I can still hit stiff shafts in the persimmon drivers and FWs but that is a whole different ball game in weight versus shaft profile. I did play and practice my 1962 Mac FC-4000s Monday with the old heavy stiff Pro Pel shafts. Trust me my back knew it Monday night. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks @BIG STU I also had the Proforce V2 for awhile. Great when everything 'clicked' but that was rare.

So what difference have you seen and felt moving from S to R in Driver? mind if I ask your SS

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

When I first switched I had to slow down some and basically wait on it. Being a feel player I adapted rather quickly. I do not do the launch monitor thing as a whole. the other week a pro friend of mine was setting up for a lesson and he wanted to check his equipment so I helped him. He asked what I thought my SS was? I told him around 95 or so with the driver. Turns out it is more like 105 with a modern driver and about 107 with persimmon. Now I do not have a long back swing any more and my follow through is not as long as it used to be. But if his equipment is correct that aint too bad for a 62 year old. He did note I generated a lot of speed through the hitting zone. I hit the modern driver about 250 or so with roll out at sea level and the persimmon about 230 with roll out. I actually launch the persimmon a little higher with the modern ball than I do the metal and the persimmon rolls out better

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

@perseveringgolfer I asked  a very knowledgeable friend (ex PGA fitter) about that yesterday because I smoothed out and slightly slowed down my swing (same as yours with the driver) and found the fairways more often. Not as far but in the fairway. He said that it wouldn't gain me any length and the dispersion wouldn't be as good as the stiff, I could go with a lighter stiff shaft but he wouldn't recommend it. He's seen me play so I trust his advice. Having said that, I think I still might get another Even Flow Blue in 5.5 and see what happens.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

56 minutes ago, MattF said:

@perseveringgolfer I asked  a very knowledgeable friend (ex PGA fitter) about that yesterday because I smoothed out and slightly slowed down my swing (same as yours with the driver) and found the fairways more often. Not as far but in the fairway. He said that it wouldn't gain me any length and the dispersion wouldn't be as good as the stiff, I could go with a lighter stiff shaft but he wouldn't recommend it. He's seen me play so I trust his advice. Having said that, I think I still might get another Even Flow Blue in 5.5 and see what happens.

Excellent point.

I'm not a fitter or even much of a shaft guru, but I have heard it said more than once, that golfers often gain better dispersion with a stiffer profile that doesn't whip through impact.

I also understand the feel perspective and would note that it's important to remember that there is no industry standard for shaft stiffness so simply changing from one shaft marked "S" to a different model marked "R" is not a guarantee of anything. Making that switch with the same model and possibly with the same brand would make a difference, but if you're looking at a different manufacturer's shaft then it's a coin toss.

Best advice is to talk with a fitter. In the OP's case, you could probably even talk to someone online about what you currently game and what you're looking for to get a list of potential options.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

My SS is about 100mph for Driver.

I play S in irons and fairway/hybrid but struggle with the Driver as I like a light combo and always feel I have to heave the driver into place.

I'd like to experiment with a regular shaft for feel as to where the clubhead is during the swing.

Anyone on here who plays S in irons but R in Driver?

Not sure of what length you are playing your driver, but you could consider going a little shorter.  That is another way of making a driver feel a little easier to swing.

6 minutes ago, bellairemi said:

Not sure of what length you are playing your driver, but you could consider going a little shorter.  That is another way of making a driver feel a little easier to swing.

I did that with my old Titleist 910D3, went to a 44.5" and results initially were very good, good point and thanks for reminding me.

I was 105 mph with the driver 3 years ago at my last driver fitting.  Went for a new fitting recently, and I'm down to 101.  Tried 7 different shafts during the fitting (most were stiff) and wound up with a regular in the end.  Gave me the lowest spin and best distance.  Like TR1 said above, there is really no standard on shaft stiffness.  I does vary by manufacturer.

You won't know until you try out different shafts which one will work best for you.  Always best to get fitted in my experience.  

And yes, I play stiff in my irons and hybrids.

Edited by duker51
spelling error

Tried the HZRDUS 5.5 60G today in the Ts3- man that shaft feels stiffer and heavier than a 'stiff' shaft. Just shows you they are all different out there. Could be the torque was low as it felt quite boardy near the grip end, plus its a low spinning shaft.

I'll try another R tomorrow hopefully.

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Tried the HZRDUS 5.5 60G today in the Ts3- man that shaft feels stiffer and heavier than a 'stiff' shaft. Just shows you they are all different out there. Could be the torque was low as it felt quite boardy near the grip end, plus its a low spinning shaft.

I'll try another R tomorrow hopefully.

Which hzrdus version? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Which hzrdus version? 

smoke black

27 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

smoke black

While that shaft will play slightly softer than the original black it is a very stout shaft and tip stiff.  Iirc the torque in the smoke black 5.5 60g is 4.0 and 3.5 in the 6.0.

the black smoke like the original black is designed for aggressive swingers or those with aggressive transitions.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While that shaft will play slightly softer than the original black it is a very stout shaft and tip stiff.  Iirc the torque in the smoke black 5.5 60g is 4.0 and 3.5 in the 6.0.

the black smoke like the original black is designed for aggressive swingers or those with aggressive transitions.

did some googling and you are spot on. It even suggests its for strong players with fast transition who want low to mid launch and low spin, it also says it will feel firmer...............everything I'm not and dont seek in a regular shaft😂

would you have any suggestions as you seem to know about shafts?

7 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

did some googling and you are spot on. It even suggests its for strong players with fast transition who want low to mid launch and low spin, it also says it will feel firmer...............everything I'm not and dont seek in a regular shaft😂

would you have any suggestions as you seem to know about shafts?

I’ve had the benefit of visiting px and have had the hzrdus yellow in several drivers. Also tried the original black and it was too much for me and the smoke when I demod earlier in the year was still a bad feel for me.

what are you lookin for? Weight range? Type of launch and spin? 

Edit: counterbalance shaft? What’s your price range?

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

what are you lookin for? Weight range? Type of launch and spin? 

Edit: counterbalance shaft? What’s your price range?

Light - medium launch - medium spin. Something that I know where the head is during the swing.

I have a smooth transition.

My Callaway 4+ wood has a firm flex and feels perfect if that helps?

no idea on prices but nothing silly, ideally stock shaft price range.

16 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Light - medium launch - medium spin. Something that I know where the head is during the swing.

I have a smooth transition.

My Callaway 4+ wood has a firm flex and feels perfect if that helps?

no idea on prices but nothing silly, ideally stock shaft price range.

A couple off the top of my head would be Mitsubishi ck blue or orange, diamana red, ust proforce v2

Have you tried the Ventus? Best feeling shaft through the swing that I have felt. Just not sure how it would fit in your swing and it is $$

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I would also suggest at your SS staying in the S range, if you can find one that fits. Dispersion will increase, maybe dramatically, going to an R. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

32 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Have you tried the Ventus? Best feeling shaft through the swing that I have felt. Just not sure how it would fit in your swing and it is $$

The ventus isn’t a stock price as he mentioned is something he is looking at price range wise. Also they play a little tip stiff and even the red may be a little more beefy than he’s looking for.

31 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I would also suggest at your SS staying in the S range, if you can find one that fits. Dispersion will increase, maybe dramatically, going to an R. 

Swing speed is only one aspect and transition plays as much a role as ss does. He’s someone that could go either way depending on profile

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

That is my concern in looking at R, however, as @RickyBobby_PR mentioned SS is only one aspect. Without sounding brash I can hit a heavy stiff and even a tour X and it will be ok, but not consistently and certainly not comfortably. As a predominantly 'Feel' player I'm hoping a lighter more flexible shaft will fit me better and bring the fun back to driving. It's trial and error now I'm afraid.

Pro shop had a Tensei regular shaft at 49g that fitted the TS3- took it onto the range full of excited anticipation.

At this stage you'd expect me to say it produced great feel and long gorgeous flights with a small draw!

It produced low skittery duffs that ran about 140yds, it felt horrible...I think the head must have been about 2 feet in front of the shaft at impact😂

Back into the shop and tried the stiff Tensei at 55g and it was much better............but not perfect.

The combo I need might be found in a shorter Stiff shaft thats 60g - continuing the WIP

First I did change my irons to regular shafts and felt "strong again".....then all my fairways last year to regular (actually gained distance with 3 and 5 wood).   This year it was time to change driver shaft, first I bought a regular shaft for my Rouge, that did not work at all as I could not get center hits enough....I now have a Ben Hogan new driver with a regular "Hazard Smoke" shaft and it is working just fine...will tell you it is clearly 10 to 15 yards shorter then the Rouge but only when the Rouge was hit in the center.