Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Skytrak...worth it?

Does anyone use or used to use the Skytrak?  I am trying to make sure it's worth getting or if I am going to be "excited" about it and in 2 months it's going to be collecting dust ($2K isn't gonna break the bank but it's still $2k).  I don't get to play as much as I want to, or get to the driving range (kids sports, work, etc.) hence the reason I'm looking into it...trying to be the responsible guy and use my head rather than my emotions.  Currently I have the Net Return Pro and the Country Club mat, so I figured this would be the logical thing as I hit on my back patio but honestly I could just be creating bad habits.  I tried a launch monitor app on the iphone and it was a complete joke with the numbers. Skytrak says they have solid numbers but it would be better to hear from "real" people than a company.  Any feedback would be helpful, thanks in advance!

9.5 Titleist TS2 with Smoke shaft

3 Wood TourEdge Exotics CBX 3T 15 degree 

2 hybrid from Tour Edge with steel shaft

3 hybrid Taylormade RBZ with stift stock shaft

4-PW Titleist 710 AP1's

50 degree SS - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

54 degree ES - Ping Glide 2.0

58 degree TS - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Warrior mallet putter (yeah go ahead and make fun of that)

While your at it, I have an Adams carry bag too 😁

@GolfSpy MPR seems to have become pretty experienced with SkyTrak based on the thread he created to share about his journey to a lower handicap.

If anyone in the forums could help you, I think it'd be him.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Yep, obviously I'd refer to you to the other thread as well, but here's the short version: for ~$500 (or less), you can get a Mevo or Sky Caddie that will tell you your ball speed, spin rate, and carry distance. The extra $1,500 for the SkyTrak (less right now, because they're doing one of their regular $300 off sales) is the cost for getting your sidespin rates, so that you know whether and how much your ball is curving.

There are obviously software differences as well: you can use the SkyTrak as a full on simulator, but they will charge you (a lot) extra for additional features. I'm merely comparing base hardware.

In my estimation, if you can afford it (obviously), the SkyTrak is a great investment in your game. A cheaper launch monitor can help you gap your clubs properly, and that's important. But because golf is a game of hitting targets, knowing whether you are in fact hitting your target is a big part of productive practice. I've had mine for a year, and am very glad I got it.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yep, obviously I'd refer to you to the other thread as well, but here's the short version: for ~$500 (or less), you can get a Mevo or Sky Caddie that will tell you your ball speed, spin rate, and carry distance. The extra $1,500 for the SkyTrak (less right now, because they're doing one of their regular $300 off sales) is the cost for getting your sidespin rates, so that you know whether and how much your ball is curving.

There are obviously software differences as well: you can use the SkyTrak as a full on simulator, but they will charge you (a lot) extra for additional features. I'm merely comparing base hardware.

In my estimation, if you can afford it (obviously), the SkyTrak is a great investment in your game. A cheaper launch monitor can help you gap your clubs properly, and that's important. But because golf is a game of hitting targets, knowing whether you are in fact hitting your target is a big part of productive practice. I've had mine for a year, and am very glad I got it.

Im busy reading all 13 pages right now 😅

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

1 hour ago, Chinn-Chinn55 said:

Does anyone use or used to use the Skytrak?  I am trying to make sure it's worth getting or if I am going to be "excited" about it and in 2 months it's going to be collecting dust ($2K isn't gonna break the bank but it's still $2k).  I don't get to play as much as I want to, or get to the driving range (kids sports, work, etc.) hence the reason I'm looking into it...trying to be the responsible guy and use my head rather than my emotions.  Currently I have the Net Return Pro and the Country Club mat, so I figured this would be the logical thing as I hit on my back patio but honestly I could just be creating bad habits.  I tried a launch monitor app on the iphone and it was a complete joke with the numbers. Skytrak says they have solid numbers but it would be better to hear from "real" people than a company.  Any feedback would be helpful, thanks in advance!

Without a doubt....one of my best golf purchases ever second only to lessons. When spring starts I am ready to go. I know exactly how far all my clubs go which is huge. I have used it to dial in all my wedge distances.  You already have the net and mat......go for it. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Thank you so much Joen, TR1PTIKGolfSpy MPR.  Really do appreciate it and appreciate you taking the time!

Edited by Chinn-Chinn55

4-PW Titleist 710 AP1's

@GolfSpy MPR quick question...which package do you recommend getting?  I’m sure you have posted this somewhere but figured I’d ask 😜

4-PW Titleist 710 AP1's

54 minutes ago, Chinn-Chinn55 said:

@GolfSpy MPR quick question...which package do you recommend getting?  I’m sure you have posted this somewhere but figured I’d ask 😜

I don't pay the money for the simulator software subscriptions. It strikes me as wrong to pay more per year to play pretend golf than I do for my annual real golf membership.

But I definitely recommend the $99 annual subscription for the Game Improvement package. The Skills Assessment and the random practice targets are the features I used all the time. My son and I love playing the target practice and closest to the pin. I think the practice features at this level are with the cost (even though, in general, I hate subscription models).

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I don't pay the money for the simulator software subscriptions. It strikes me as wrong to pay more per year to play pretend golf than I do for my annual real golf membership.
But I definitely recommend the $99 annual subscription for the Game Improvement package. The Skills Assessment and the random practice targets are the features I used all the time. My son and I love playing the target practice and closest to the pin. I think the practice features at this level are with the cost (even though, in general, I hate subscription models).

So does that give you a sort of driving range? Or is it all just numbers based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

• 11 months later...

It's the driving range on screen with greens for targets and shot tracers.

I've got skytrak on the way.  Can't wait.  The only downside I've heard is that there is no spin degradation on the driving range shot tracers, which means that fades and draws will be a bit more pronounced than actual shots because the sidespin is constant in their calculation and doesn't reduce over the ball's flight like it does in real life.

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

1 hour ago, ChrisNH said:

...which means that fades and draws will be a bit more pronounced than actual shots because the sidespin is constant in their calculation and doesn't reduce over the ball's flight like it does in real life.

Interesting, can't say I noticed, but if that is the case then from a practice angle it is probably better than the other way round though IMO.  

I got my SkyTrak in April this year, and I was a little 'twitchy' after ordering in case I was disappointed and felt I'd wasted my cash.  But no, absolutely no regrets so far.

I looked at the £500 level offerings and, apart from them needing more space for the doppler to work (which ruled them out for me anyway), I felt I needed the directional and sidespin data anyway.

All in I reckon I spent around £2500 when I include the net, mat etc too.  For a set up that I have to put up and take down each time, but at around 15 mins to set up it is quicker than driving to the range, and I get more time, unlimited balls and full launch data at no extra cost, and don't use fuel to get there either.  I just can't use it in the rain.

If your budget allows then go for it, and get the 'game improvement' subscription too.