TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for a Driver

jamo

So I'm sort of looking for a driver to replace my SuperQuad, mainly because I just spin the ball way too much for it, and I'm losing a lot of distance.

I want to get fit, and there is a course near me that offers free club fitting if you buy a driver from then, in addition to two free rounds of golf. I may even get some help on the cost from my parents, since my dad claimed my Mizuno MP 57s when I got my Nike Pro Combos.

Basically my top three are Titleist 910 D3, Taylor Made R11, and Taylor Made R9 SuperTri.

Pros and Cons:

Titlest has more stock shafts which could keep price down (not sure, but other shafts might require an upcharge), I like the look of the drivers, and Titleists generally keep their value a long time (but I don't plan on selling it any time soon so that's not really that important).

I sort of like the look of the R11, but it's a little flashy for me and the white really makes it look like a titanium balloon on a stick. On the upside, I hear that it spins less than the R9s (and that's really the only upside, otherwise I much prefer the SuperTri).

I love the black look of the SuperTri, but since it's a year old I don't think that they will have as many options available. It is $100 cheaper though.

Your thoughts?

Plano,

All I got to say is go with the Supertri. I love the full adjust ability, and the distance on these is excellent. The best thing I can really say is go try all three to get a real feel. Because I haven't heard one thing bad about the titliest driver.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Super-Tri hands down in my opinion. Just find a shaft that knocks the spin down for you. The R11 feels good but It's not that much better than the R9. Being a year old, it helps... The Super-Tri has opened my eyes and changed my opinion about adjustable drivers.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Dude, It sounds like you have the same problems with spin I do. I would recommend the Titleist 910D3 with the UST proforce v2 76 g shaft. The heavier shaft will keep the spin down and the profoce v2 it is an awesome shaft. You can get one from GPPgolf.com online for $399 + delivery. Good luck mate.

If you have spin problems, I would advise you to skip the SuperTri. Get fit for either the 910 or the R11. Based on my store and my store only, Titleist provides a more complete selection of shafts to get fitted with, so that might end up being the deciding factor.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Plano I am going to really go out of the ball park on this one. If you have a good clubfitter/builder in your area I would personally suggest maybe a Wishon or Infinity built for you for what you are wanting to do. I am admittingly a big Wishon fan. also KZG is a good product even though as I have heard and read that dealers are having problems with the factory. The main thing i see is choose a head no matter the brand which is pleasing to your eye and go from there as far as shaft selection trajectory and spin. Hopefully you can find a compentent clubfitter/builder in your area to help you.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks for the responses so far. I think I'm going to hit all three of them, see the spin rates (that's really my main concern), and go from there. If I found a component driver that I liked the looks of, I certainly wouldn't balk at trying it, but I really haven't seen many that I like, so that's probably off the table.

Also, my name isn't really Plano, just like MSaternus' name isn't really Huntington. But no worries. :)

And if anyone else has thoughts, keep 'em coming. I want to know what everyone thinks of these clubs.

I agree with MSaternus on giving the Super Tri a pass if you're having spin problems since it's a mid to high spin head. R11, D3 and i15 would be the first three I'd look at for low spin, though the R11 would need a different shaft for you to drop the spin.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

If you're thinking on getting an R11, you better think on upgrading the BLUR stock shaft which in my opinion is as terrible as a shaft can be. I hadn't seen such a horrible Fujikura since the Fit-On Gold in the Hibore.

I love the Supertri, but wouldn't help you if spin is your issue

So, Titleist 910 it is!!!!!!

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the responses so far. I think I'm going to hit all three of them, see the spin rates (that's really my main concern), and go from there. If I found a component driver that I liked the looks of, I certainly wouldn't balk at trying it, but I really haven't seen many that I like, so that's probably off the table.

Also, my name isn't really Plano, just like MSaternus' name isn't really Huntington. But no worries. :)

And if anyone else has thoughts, keep 'em coming. I want to know what everyone thinks of these clubs.

Add the Callaway RAZR Hawk to your list. The Cobra S3 is also sneaky long.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I think that the only reason that the SuperTri is still on the list is because it's $100 less, so I could possibly put a really low spin shaft in it and still come in under $400. Maybe that'll work, maybe not.

Add the Callaway RAZR Hawk to your list. The Cobra S3 is also sneaky long.

I've never been a Callaway fan, but I'll take a look at the RAZR. I liked the Cobra S2, which was more than sneaky long, but I don't really care for the looks of the S3. I'll hit it though.

• SPY VIP

I've never been a Callaway fan

I heard that a lot when I was testing the RAZR. Now I hear a lot of "I didn't used to be a Callaway fan".

My guess is you'd be able to handle the Tour Model, which I'm starting to think has even more pop than the standard.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I just went through this same dilemma! I ended up going with the R11 and an Oban Kiyoshi 65 shaft. Personally I liked the adjustment options on the R11 better. Being able to adjust weights helped my swing more than the adjustments available on the 910. I knocked 1600rpms off my backspin and 900rpms off my right side spin from my previous setup (R9 w/ v2 75).

As has already been stated it really comes down to which one you hit better, so get fitted properly and go with whichever you hit best. Just be ready to swap out the shaft on either one. I've come to realize the correct shaft is 90% of the correct driver. At least that's how it was for me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

You should seriously consider hitting one of these...prodbig.jpg

We just had our annual meeting with the fellas, and our local rep is a really REALLY good player, and he couldn't keep this thing in the air. It just fell from the sky. We don't have one in the store yet, so I can't give you specifics, I just know that if Kev can't get it to spin, it has to be something special...

Tour Edge CB4 Tour

Check it out.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived