TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra S2 Forged Irons

MmmmmmBuddy

Cobra S2 Forged Irons

Cobra Golf is a company that has been primarily known in more recent years as a driver and fairway woods company. It looks like they are trying to reestablish themselves as a force in the irons segment of the golf market with the introduction of the new S2 line of irons. This review will focus on the S2 Forged iron.

APPEARANCE

The irons have a thicker top line than most forged clubs, which is supposed to inspire confidence at address. It is like this is a club built to bridge the gap from the super game improvement irons to forged players irons. The S2 Forged are very long from heel to toe. That tends to promote a straighter ball flight, and more forgiveness.

FEEL

The S2 Forged irons have that very nice soft forged feel at impact. There is still plenty of feedback with this club. I could tell when and where I missed it, something we all look for in a forged iron. My biggest complaint with the feel of this club was the shaft. Cobra installed a proprietary Nippon shaft in these irons, and the balance of the club left something to be desired. I had a difficult time finding a repeatable swing with this club. I wondered if it was just me, so I took out my favorite iron and hit shots with both. It wasn't me. This seems like a simple fix, but hard to tell without fitting clubs and interchangeable shafts.

PERFORMANCE

When testing iron performance, I look for 4 main things. Trajectory, distance control, accuracy, and consistency. The S2 Forged irons have a higher than normal trajectory for a forged iron. It is consistent, but a little higher than I might like. Distance control seemed to be very good. Both good and not so good swings went the desired distance. My accuracy suffered with this club, but I will mark it down to the shaft, and not count it against the club. Shot to shot consistency was good, but not outstanding.

SUMMARY

This set might be a good choice for that player who wants to bridge the gap to forged irons, but wants the added forgiveness of a game improvement club. I can't say that Cobra hit a "Home Run" with this set, but it is a step in the right direction. As always, getting fit for the proper shaft and lie angle is very important, and should not be forgotten. There might be better options out there in the game improvement/forged iron segment.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Thanks for the review...I wish you had some pics of these from address and such positions. I am actually considering these irons, but the one hold up for me is the pact that the PW is 43* which is a little on the strong side for me. I have thought if I get these I would carry 6-PW instead of my normal 5-PW and then add a 48* wedge along with my 52*, 56* and 60* wedges.

some pics for reference

9141.jpg_e_48ae3abec27dd21e557a7cffdd0cbf34.jpg

10155.jpg_e_cdd4d4f658bc50dbecddc0ceedbbff8d.jpg

881.jpg_e_76f5b55cadbd3dc94fbcae45e614b34d.jpg

1188.jpg_e_da760e6e2b27a69fae4dec9eacb3a0d3.jpg

Thank you Morris...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Do you have any comments on the comparison between the S2 forged and the standard S2? I took one lazy swing in a simulator with the normal S2 and kinda fell in love with it. I went back the next day and still thought it was pretty impressive in terms of forgiveness. Ever since then I've been thinking about buying a set of real shovels and seeing how it would impact my scores.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Do you have any comments on the comparison between the S2 forged and the standard S2? I took one lazy swing in a simulator with the normal S2 and kinda fell in love with it. I went back the next day and still thought it was pretty impressive in terms of forgiveness. Ever since then I've been thinking about buying a set of real shovels and seeing how it would impact my scores.

Sure. The S2's are a great iron for that player looking for maximum forgiveness and soft feel. while still maintaining the core look of a "golf Club". Might be a good compromise.

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the pictures. These look quite nice. Sleek and yet with an air of forgiveness.

I don't usually shop Cobra, but these would be cool to see in person.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Sure. The S2's are a great iron for that player looking for maximum forgiveness and soft feel. while still maintaining the core look of a "golf Club". Might be a good compromise.

Thanks. I like your comment that they still maintain the look of a golf club. They definitely won't win any beauty pageants, but I have a feeling they might help me to win some money.

Next question (and I'm sorry if I'm threadjacking here): does anyone have any thoughts/comparisons between the S2's and the past couple years of Cobra irons? While I really liked hitting the S2's, I have a feeling that they are probably not a huge leap forward from the S9's and others, but I want to know what someone with firsthand experience thinks. Thanks.

I hope this is the set of irons I graduate to from my R7s. I love the look, and forgiveness factor in a bladed iron.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Thanks. I like your comment that they still maintain the look of a golf club. They definitely won't win any beauty pageants, but I have a feeling they might help me to win some money.

Next question (and I'm sorry if I'm threadjacking here): does anyone have any thoughts/comparisons between the S2's and the past couple years of Cobra irons? While I really liked hitting the S2's, I have a feeling that they are probably not a huge leap forward from the S9's and others, but I want to know what someone with firsthand experience thinks. Thanks.

The s2's in my opinion, a much better option than the S9's. S9's seem to feel harsh, and were nothing special. They S2's however, immediately made an impression on me. It is hard to quantify how much better a certain club is than another.... so I'll leave that to someone else.

Once again, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the comment about the feel as that wasn't really something I was thinking about. I was looking at it from a purely forgiveness standpoint and thinking that there was probably not a huge leap forward.

Once again, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the comment about the feel as that wasn't really something I was thinking about. I was looking at it from a purely forgiveness standpoint and thinking that there was probably not a huge leap forward.

Surprisingly enough, there is, IMO, a big difference in forgiveness between the S9 and the S2. S2's are much easier on mishits for me. (not that I ever mishit anything...)

Archived