TESTERS WANTED! ×

What impresses you in Golf?

perseveringgolfer

There are loads of things I can think of like the integrity, friendships, fair play, challenge, scenery etc etc but I'm referring to the things that dont get mentioned that much.

I'll start.........

When I see a tour pro having some practice swings on the fairway, in front of vast crowds and millions on TV, they manage to gently brush the turf with every swing 😮

Even without that pressure I reckon most of us will miss the turf repeatedly, or take a few embarrassing divots! try it.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

The ability to immediately brush off a bad shot (or two or three) and focus on what's coming up next. A lot of people I golf with, including myself, don't possess that ability. The few times I've played with someone who has it was definitely noticeable. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Watching pros (or other highly skilled players) hitting checking short game shots. I'm like a little kid watching his uncle do "magic" tricks: somehow, every single time I see it, I'm surprised and astonished and delighted all over again. I see the ball come toward the hole and I'm thinking of my own ball: "oh, that's going way past the hole--WHOA! that just stopped!!!!!"

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Watching pros (or other highly skilled players) hitting checking short game shots. I'm like a little kid watching his uncle do "magic" tricks: somehow, every single time I see it, I'm surprised and astonished and delighted all over again. I see the ball come toward the hole and I'm thinking of my own ball: "oh, that's going way past the hole--WHOA! that just stopped!!!!!"

It's hilarious when I hit a shot like that with randoms I get paired up with - it always elicits quite the reaction

1. Taking the time to sign hats, etc for the kids.

2. Ability to handle the pressure of crowds close to you while you hit a great shot. 

3. The pro that makes the putt Sunday on 18 that could make the difference between 1st and 2nd (and $500,000) 

4. The ability to ignore the jerks on the sidelines that yell  baba............   or anything else. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

For me it's been getting paired on the first tee with someone who you might think at first glance, "oh boy... this is going to be interesting" as in; has this guy ever played before? Don't make that mistake. Clothes don't make the man in this game.

Can't tell you how many times I've met this guy only to watch him effortlessly maneuver the ball around the course and card even par.

Also... for you guys that enjoy a "friendly" wager. Don't gamble with strangers.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

7 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

When I see a tour pro having some practice swings on the fairway, in front of vast crowds and millions on TV, they manage to gently brush the turf with every swing 😮

Agreed! I also find that impressive, especially when they all do it so seemingly effortlessly...!

7 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Even without that pressure I reckon most of us will miss the turf repeatedly, or take a few embarrassing divots! try it.

Nope. I can't .. repeatedly .. do it. Work-in-progress!

But anyway, in addition to all the good things mentioned above by others one of the things that impresses me most about the game of golf is, well, the game itself ... as exemplified by Jack Nicklaus' famous quote about it being "the unwinnable game"; eg. we're on an endless quest for "better".

Nicklaus also said:
"Success depends almost entirely on how effectively you learn to manage the game's two ultimate adversaries: the course and yourself."

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

9 hours ago, Shankster said:

Bubba Watson...

To be able to send a ball over the heads of the crowd and know where it’s going...

Name someone else that can do that.

—————

Playing my golf?

Sticking approach shots inside 10’ is pretty darn impressive.

I saw John Daly hit driver over the heads of the crowd during an exhibition at Peter Jacobson's Fred Meyer Challenge event in Portland, OR, although honestly... I can't say whether or not John knew where it was going.   lol

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I went to the BMW in Chicago a few years back. And we followed the last group the whole front 9. After they were making the turn we decided to sit by the green for while after they left. Was amazing looking back down the front 9 side how empty and serene the course was. Almost like no one even played their all day. The beauty of an empty course always gets me 

Keep it in the short stuff

Watching a pro hitting balls on the driving range especially when they practice wedges.  Effortless looking swings with consistent distance and ball flight.   whenever the LPGA comes to my area I always spend a few hours at the range just watching.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I get to the golf course very early on Sunday (I work there).  What impresses me most is watching the grounds crew raking, mowing and getting the course ready for the Sunday morning golfers.  It is very serene at 0500 (or earlier in the summer) when these guys arrive to work their magic.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

On 9/6/2019 at 5:16 AM, sixcat said:

Witnessing anyone repair ball marks

+1... but it's not like a pet peeve of mine or anything 😉.  I would say the touring pro's games in general. They are, simply stated, playing at a level of both skill and consistency that astounds me. Even the healthy handful of scratch golfers I know, when asked how they might fair amongst this populous, just chuckle.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)