Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Driver

MmmmmmBuddy

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Driver

APPEARANCE

The driver is very unlike anything that Callaway has done in the past, and I mean that in a good way. The Edge Tour driver features a slightly open face to promote a fade off of the tee. The club looks smaller than 460cc, which seems to be the direction that most companies are moving with their players drivers. Gone are the radical geometric shapes and colors. This club looks like it belongs in the hands of a skilled player.

FEEL

The Edge Tour driver has a slightly longer than standard (45 inch) shaft, but not nearly as long as some of the offerings out today. the club has nice balance and heft. The all Titanium head produces a solid crack at impact, with no metallic ringing.

PERFORMANCE

I had a chance to take this club through it's paces on our FlightScope Kudu launch Monitor. I hit the 9.5* with the stock stiff flex Habanero shaft. The launch monitor numbers were amazing!!! It is Feb, and 45* outside, but I was still able to achieve higher than normal ballspeeds while having lower than normal spin rates. This driver might be as close to the holy grail for me as I have been able to find. More extensive testing will follow, but I can very easily see myself gaming one of these drivers this year.

SUMMARY

The Callaway Diablo Edge Tour driver is an excellent mix of classic look and feel with cutting edge technology that increases ball speeds and reduces back spin. However, this driver is not for everyone. If you struggle with shots that leak to the right, or don't hit the ball very solidly, there might be other options out there that would fit your game better. But if you are a strong player who moves the ball right to left, and has trouble with the dreaded "balloon ball", give the Diablo Edge Tour a try.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I haven't really been down with the Diablo line. Its one of the unwritten rules of golf club design... never name a club after its ugliest feature! And the shape of the regular Diablo head is just weird.

So, its good to see that Callaway is rethinking their approach. They are probably casting an eye towards Nike with the success of their Str8-fit and Victory Red lines. Talk about another company coming back from the brink. LOL.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

thanks you for the pics. I still cant figure out how to insert pictures.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Wow, that that does have a nice traditional look to it!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Wait until you hit it..... amazing.

We got our Demo Club of this last week and I must say it was.... disappointing! Looks awesome, feels average at best. Maybe its because there are so many good drivers around at the moment, but its behind the Cobra ZL, the R9 SuperTri, the Nike VR and the Ping i15 as far as I am concerned...

We got our Demo Club of this last week and I must say it was.... disappointing! Looks awesome, feels average at best. Maybe its because there are so many good drivers around at the moment, but its behind the Cobra ZL, the R9 SuperTri, the Nike VR and the Ping i15 as far as I am concerned...

Did you hit it outside, or on a launch monitor, or both?? Or was it on course??

Just on the launch monitor so far, courses are still under snow here in Scotland so not had a chance to play with it outside...

LM inside?? take the thing outside, and you will not be disappointed. Sooooo much more consistent than Nike VR, and Cobra ZL. Outdoor testing is the thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I have heard a lot of good things about both this driver and the Diablo fairway clubs.

Yes, they seem to be very popular. The Edge driver isn't as high handicapper oriented as the original Diablo, and the forged irons are a solid option for mid to high handicappers who want some good feel.

LM inside?? take the thing outside, and you will not be disappointed. Sooooo much more consistent than Nike VR, and Cobra ZL. Outdoor testing is the thing.

I agree with the testing outside. Until we play golf indoors, the only way to get real results is outside in real golf conditions. If you want all the data use a Trackman outside, the only way to fly. JMO

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

pics for reference

P1130002.jpg

P1130003.jpg

P1130005.jpg

It sure is a very nice looking head, personally I'll be playing the Daddy the Tour Issued FT9 TA which is a low spin monster. Best driver out there to date and by far the best driver Cally has ever made! But this head looks very nice.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I am just not good enough to play such a low spin head. I generate almost too little spin on some of the newer drivers, so for me, The Tour Edge Diablo (intended) is really really good.

This looks similar to the FT-Tour that I saw at GG today. I really like that they both have actual hosels. Besides the Fusion Technology and some dollars, what are the major differences between the Diable Edge Tour and the FT-Tour?

FT-Tour uses Fusion Technology, meaning Carbon in the crown, the Diablo is all Titanium. Different sounds, Different shafts. FT looks a bit smaller at address, but both look amazing. FT is much more difficult to hit, but produces higher ballspeeds on center hits for me. (if only I could find the center) FT spins it a bit less as well.

Is the face on this one a little bit closed?

Diablo tour is open 1*.

Archived