Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most similar shaft to the KBS prototype hybrid 85S?

Sen

I bought a srixon u65 driving iron on the steal ($50) a month ago and the guy had a custom shaft which is the KBS prototype hybrid 85s. I thought nothin of it at first since most OEMS gives out shaft upgrades free of charges now. That club cannot miss and is dart throwing for me at 210 range.  At first I thought it was honeymoon period but 4-5 rounds go by it really is super stable and just fits my swing really well. So naturally I want to see if I can get some of that shaft into my other clubs.

LO AND BEHOLD the shaft is like $130 on golfworks (wtf) and the cheapest I can find online on ebay is about $120 new. Being a cheapskate i'm resorting to beseeching the spies, do any of you fine folks play this shaft, and if so do you happen to know what cheaper alternative there is? I really don't want to shell out more than twice what I paid for the club for just a shaft. Thank you very much!

here's the link to the shaft, thanks: https://www.golfworks.com/kbs-graphite-tour-hybrid-prototype/p/fs0048/

What clubs (not brand but number) are you looking to reshaft? What shaft is in them now?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Oh I didn't list, the srixon I bought was 18 degree. I currently have kbs tour 115g firm on all my irons and driving irons, depending on price I was looking to replace my 21 degree driving iron(mainly), then the 5 and 6 irons(not necessary), I'm also interested to know if there's a similar profile for my ping g400 3 wood, that club currently has the stock stiff alta shaft and it feels very unstable for me. 

I have the KBS prototype hybrid in all my hybrids (bit the bullet when I needed to purchase), and KBS tours in my irons.  KBS built the hybrid shaft as a natural progression from the irons and wedge shafts.  Waiting for KBS to come out with their wood shaft; since I saw in the KBS Instagram that they have one planned.   I have a HZRDUS Smoke in the 3 wood that I just put in my bag and it seems to work pretty will.   Still searching for a driver shaft that has a similar feel;  I have a Proforce V2 that isn't bad but not perfect.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, Sen said:

Oh I didn't list, the srixon I bought was 18 degree. I currently have kbs tour 115g firm on all my irons and driving irons, depending on price I was looking to replace my 21 degree driving iron(mainly), then the 5 and 6 irons(not necessary), I'm also interested to know if there's a similar profile for my ping g400 3 wood, that club currently has the stock stiff alta shaft and it feels very unstable for me. 

The kbs proto hybrid was designed off the kbs tour iron shafts but using graphite.

Finding another hybrid shaft on the cheap will be hard unless you can find a pull. Some optionswoukd be recoil hybrid from ust, even flow blue from px, hybrid shaft from graphite design.

its a mid launch mid spin profile which I’m not sure one wants in a 3w.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

@cnosil Darn, sounds like I'd have to bite the bullet at some point huh? So I'm interested, they built the shaft profile to match the KBS tour? But which KBS tour? There's so many weight variations. Since the 85S is doing so well in my hybrid should I try out whatever KBS steel around 85 gram shaft for my other irons? Will those work better than my current 115g KBS tour V?

@RickyBobby_PR I really just want something that makes the wood more consistent for me, my transition is on the quicker side and I can feel the head wobble in the back swing transition. I have had good luck with matrix shafts(mostly red tie and some white tie, had good luck with the rogue black too) in the past in the woods but the Ping 3wood is stock.

Edited by Sen
7 minutes ago, Sen said:

@cnosil Darn, sounds like I'd have to bite the bullet at some point huh? So I'm interested, they built the shaft profile to match the KBS tour? But which KBS tour? There's so many weight variations. Since the 85S is doing so well in my hybrid should I try out whatever KBS steel around 85 gram shaft for my other irons? Will those work better than my current 115g KBS tour V?

@RickyBobby_PR I really just want something that makes the wood more consistent for me, my transition is on the quicker side and I can feel the head wobble in the back swing transition. I have had good luck with matrix shafts(mostly red tie and some white tie, had good luck with the rogue black too) in the past in the woods but the Ping 3wood is stock.

The weight variances in the kbs tour doesn’t matter because the hybrid shaft isn’t a direct copy but rather inspired by the kbs tour iron shafts and with it being graphite they can do lots of things to influence feel, flight etc that can’t be done with steel

Which stock shaft from ping? There’s several. Rogue silver is a good option, hazrdus black or yellow, maybe even flow blue or black. Golfworks has a pdf with every shaft and profile to make trying to find something in your desired flight easier to identify than scrounging around all the manufactures sites

[mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] Darn, sounds like I'd have to bite the bullet at some point huh? So I'm interested, they built the shaft profile to match the KBS tour? But which KBS tour? There's so many weight variations. Since the 85S is doing so well in my hybrid should I try out whatever KBS steel around 85 gram shaft for my other irons? Will those work better than my current 115g KBS tour V?

I have KBS tour 120s in my irons. I have the 85g in my hybrids. Was told by the KBS folks to go lighter for more launch and heavier for lower. They suggested 75 or 85 for me.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have the KBS Tour Graphite in my irons and have been eyeing the KBS Hybrid Proto for my hybrids.  The stock Atmos shafts in my M6 hybrids are okay, but one of the 3 is less consistent than the other 2.  Thinking that a shaft upgrade in all 3 hybrids might be a good overall move.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The weight variances in the kbs tour doesn’t matter because the hybrid shaft isn’t a direct copy but rather inspired by the kbs tour iron shafts and with it being graphite they can do lots of things to influence feel, flight etc that can’t be done with steel

Which stock shaft from ping? There’s several. Rogue silver is a good option, hazrdus black or yellow, maybe even flow blue or black. Golfworks has a pdf with every shaft and profile to make trying to find something in your desired flight easier to identify than scrounging around all the manufactures sites

@RickyBobby_PR Alta, the brown transition black one stiff. I looked up the MPF for the shaft it's 4B2M I think, do I just type that in their search bar? Because a lot of shaft with the same code 4B2m shows up but not sure if weights the same or have the same bend profile. 

9 hours ago, Sen said:

@RickyBobby_PR Alta, the brown transition black one stiff. I looked up the MPF for the shaft it's 4B2M I think, do I just type that in their search bar? Because a lot of shaft with the same code 4B2m shows up but not sure if weights the same or have the same bend profile. 

i have not used or seen the chart. I’ve seen posts on other forums over the years that have mentioned it. I believe the website does have something related to mpf where you can enter some of your swing data and get shaft recommendation. I’m more of a buy and try for aftermarket shafts if I’m looking to tinker and I do that based on flight profile (launch and spin design) and shaft profile such as what’s the stiffness in each of the 3 sections. 

It sounds like either the weight of that shaft which iirc is 59 or 60g or the counterbalancing design doesn’t fit your swing or what you are looking for.  

With a quick transition you might want to look at hzrdus or hzrdus smoke line from px, even flow blue, black or white from px, rogue silver from aldilla, maybe something from graphite design. The rogue or the hzrdus line might be the cheapest route of the list

[mention=65848]RickyBobby_PR[/mention] Alta, the brown transition black one stiff. I looked up the MPF for the shaft it's 4B2M I think, do I just type that in their search bar? Because a lot of shaft with the same code 4B2m shows up but not sure if weights the same or have the same bend profile. 

Lots if shafts and weights have that profile. You have to figure out the weight and shaft you will need. Typically weights increase as you progress through the the set so for a driver you may want 60g, for fairway 70g, hybrid 80g, etc. and they may all have the 4B2M profile. I am looking to replace the Alta CB shaft as well and based in the maltby chart I am the same profile. I picked up a Proforce V2 because it was in that profile and was in my list of shafts in a couple of shaft fitting sites I was using for research. To me it feels nothing like the KBS line of shafts. I seem to be more consistent than the Alta, but I don’t think this is the perfect for me. Maybe the KBS wood shafts will be a 2020 offering or I will do a lot of experimenting. Want a V2 with G400 adapter for a cheap price?

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Lots if shafts and weights have that profile. You have to figure out the weight and shaft you will need. Typically weights increase as you progress through the the set so for a driver you may want 60g, for fairway 70g, hybrid 80g, etc. and they may all have the 4B2M profile. I am looking to replace the Alta CB shaft as well and based in the maltby chart I am the same profile. I picked up a Proforce V2 because it was in that profile and was in my list of shafts in a couple of shaft fitting sites I was using for research. To me it feels nothing like the KBS line of shafts. I seem to be more consistent than the Alta, but I don’t think this is the perfect for me. Maybe the KBS wood shafts will be a 2020 offering or I will do a lot of experimenting. Want a V2 with G400 adapter for a cheap price? emoji16.png

Yeah so much more than an mpf which outside of forums I don’t know anyone who uses that info for fittings or anything else.

even sometimes how manufacturers describe the player who would benefit doesn’t hold true. I am supposed to fit into a hzrdus black vice yellow due to quick/aggressive transition but that shaft to me is too still and I can’t get good launch but have been fit into the yellow 3 times which is for smooth transition 

Thanks for the responses guys. Yea I've had the proforce v2 as well in my woods before it was ok, not like game changing like this prototype for me. 

I have heard the tour AD DI shaft is suppose to be very close too, and I think my local shop does carry that, I'll have to test it out. The rogue I've seen as well, hzdus I've ever seen is black or yellow but not sure how easy it is for them to test it on a driving iron head for me.

I wish someone has a bend profile chart already somewhere for us to compare to 🙂

I wish someone has a bend profile chart already somewhere for us to compare to

https://www.golfshaftreviews.info

1 hour ago, Sen said:

Thanks for the responses guys. Yea I've had the proforce v2 as well in my woods before it was ok, not like game changing like this prototype for me. 

I have heard the tour AD DI shaft is suppose to be very close too, and I think my local shop does carry that, I'll have to test it out. The rogue I've seen as well, hzdus I've ever seen is black or yellow but not sure how easy it is for them to test it on a driving iron head for me.

I wish someone has a bend profile chart already somewhere for us to compare to 🙂

For driving iron there is a hzrdus black hybrid shaft. Ust makes a hybrid shaf as well. The ad di is a really good option

For driving iron there is a hzrdus black hybrid shaft. Ust makes a hybrid shaf as well. The ad di is a really good option

Have to look at the options to ensure tip sizes match up. While their are ways to adjust the size, using the shaft in a club it was built for is probably the best idea.

24 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Have to look at the options to ensure tip sizes match up. While their are ways to adjust the size, using the shaft in a club it was built for is probably the best idea.

The ef blue and black and hzrdus black are .370.

i know tm udi offers hzrdus smoke as an option and that’s .355. Not sure if px has released the hzrdus smoke as an aftermarket purchase yet. I only recall seeing the black on people’s golf when i was looking at hybrid shafts recently 

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Damn nice site, but it's paywalled. I'm not sure how easy the site is at filtering similar shafts, is it frowned upon to request someone who has an account to let me know what's similar to the prototype? If it's bad in public if someone can PM me please that'd be great, 355 or 370 are both fine for me as I have the 355 to 370 adapter. 

Edited by Sen
Damn nice site, but it's paywalled. I'm not sure how easy the site is at filtering similar shafts, is it frowned upon to request someone who has an account to let me know what's similar to the prototype? If it's bad in public if someone can PM me please that'd be great, 355 or 370 are both fine for me as I have the 355 to 370 adapter. 

Yep, pay site. Best free option is to do some googling for Bend profile graphs and then manually comparing.

2 hours ago, Sen said:

All of the hybrid shafts are going to run about the same. The recoil might be $10 cheaper new but $130 is about the avg price. 

Ad di might be the most expensive. Iirc it’s $250+

52 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

All of the hybrid shafts are going to run about the same. The recoil might be $10 cheaper new but $130 is about the avg price. 

Ad di might be the most expensive. Iirc it’s $250+

There are many that are in the $50 range but they are generally less weight than I like. Yea I must have had a fever dream where I saw a ad DI for ~$90, but just checked it's around $180 holy expensive. No point for me if the prototype is cheaper too