Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hips are overrated!

Loved hearing Moe say he doesnt believe in hip turn- as someone who doesnt consciously use my hips and attained a decent level- now I focus on hips and turn/rotation/right hip driving forward/left hip back, no slide yaddy yaddy ya and my game is probably the worst it's been for decades.

Yes, I know Moe's hips are turning, even though he says they are still, but they turn, i think, because of his shoulder turn.

Anyway, I love his phrase "a feeling of greatness, only one in the world who can do it, feeling of greatness"

I wonder if there are any coaches out there teaching the "vertical drop, and horizontal tug"............sounds a bit rude😏

Think I'll try some drop and tug tomorrow😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

The key to the hips is making sure they are open at impact. Moe's are the same way. Most great ball strikers are around 30-35* open at impact. With the shoulder less open around 10-15* However you achieve that is fine just have to get open. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

11 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The key to the hips is making sure they are open at impact. Moe's are the same way. Most great ball strikers are around 30-35* open at impact. With the shoulder less open around 10-15* However you achieve that is fine just have to get open. 

That's the key phrase right there. I didn't even know about where the hips should be, or what should initiate the downswing when I was a lower handicap and shooting under par, sometimes.😉

Now I know more, and try more, I get worse. Comp last Saturday I was topping, thinning and fatting my way around. I was focusing on hip turn and trail foot ground interaction in the downswing. Got to the point I was getting scared to hit it lol

I wonder if I can re-set myself tomorrow to go back to just set up and swing. Will be interesting.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

21 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

That's the key phrase right there. I didn't even know about where the hips should be, or what should initiate the downswing when I was a lower handicap and shooting under par, sometimes.😉

Now I know more, and try more, I get worse. Comp last Saturday I was topping, thinning and fatting my way around. I was focusing on hip turn and trail foot ground interaction in the downswing. Got to the point I was getting scared to hit it lol

I wonder if I can re-set myself tomorrow to go back to just set up and swing. Will be interesting.

This is why God gave us practice ranges, to practice different movements until they become "natural".  If you're thinking of hip rotation during a competition, that's likely to be a problem.  Something I see the pros do is to make exaggerated practice movements, something I'm sure is there to remind them of a specific movement they're trying to make.  I bet when they're really swinging at the ball they're NOT thinking of that same mechanical detail.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Arnold Palmer once said, “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated.” 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Elsewhere Moe says the swing is all knees. I wonder if he has something in common with Melhorn here; Wild Bill wanted the hips and shoulders to stay in line with each other (opposite of the X Factor stuff)— not that he actually did that but that was his feeling—but lots of knee action and footwork to make his swing work. Swing with the knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

19 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Inspired by the Moe videos on youtube I tried some of his thoughts today, mainly not swinging hard, not thinking about hips and focusing on 3 feet before and 3 feet after strike.

Results were an absolute joy! solid strikes and very straight. I birdied the first three par 3's and a par 4 with laser irons to about 10 feet (6" on one of the par 3's).

Overall score wasnt great (77) as I had a triple, 2 doubles, 4 bogies PLUS a 4 putt and three 3 putts🙄

The triple and doubles all came via trying to smash the driver, the opposite of the iron swings.

First round I've really enjoyed for a long time, despite the bad holes and putting.