TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is seeing distance a golf skill?

GolfSpy MPR

Seeing Yardage  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently use some kind of distance device?

• Every round
    • Often
    • Occasionally
    • Never
  2. 2. Should properly estimating distance be considered a golf skill?

• Yes: I don't use distance devices and think they are counter to the spirit of the game.
    • Yes: I use distance devices, but think that golf without them is a purer version of the sport.
    • Sometimes: eliminate yardage books and continue to ban devices on Tour, but keep them for amateurs.
    • No: hitting the shot is the challenge of golf, not getting the yardage.

4 hours ago, deejaid said:

It’s quite easy if you walk. I walk directly to my ball and when I pass the yard marker on the ground I start counting my steps. My ball is 12 steps after the 175 marker? Well, it’s 163 yards. I know my distance before I even set my bag down so I know I’m faster than someone using a laser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's great when you hit to the middle of the fairway.  I think a guy in the group in front of me that just hit into the rough and walked directly to his ball, looked for it, found it, then walked to the 175 marker and stepped it off will be slower.  I want him to use a laser.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That's great when you hit to the middle of the fairway.  I think a guy in the group in front of me that just hit into the rough and walked directly to his ball, looked for it, found it, then walked to the 175 marker and stepped it off will be slower.  I want him to use a laser.

Yes to this.  I can't think of the last time I saw a yardage tag on a sprinkler.  There are markers in the middle of the fairway at 100, 150, 200, 250, but I seem to never pass those for some reason.  A few places have the 150 post, but I probably wouldn't get the distance to that right either. 

I agree estimating yardage is a skill, but I dont think many courses are set up to allow that to happen in a reasonable amount of time if you rely on markers to do it. 

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

15 hours ago, deejaid said:

It’s quite easy if you walk. I walk directly to my ball and when I pass the yard marker on the ground I start counting my steps. My ball is 12 steps after the 175 marker? Well, it’s 163 yards. I know my distance before I even set my bag down so I know I’m faster than someone using a laser.

Lol.... I never thought about it that way. I tought you walked to the green and back to the ball. Sometimes I arent too bright...lol.

No, even when I’m in the rough I walk down the fairway until I get to the nearest marker than veer towards my ball in the rough. I never go to my ball first without looking at markers along the way, then try to find the closest marker after locating my ball, then count the steps back to my ball. I agree, that does take more time than a laser.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Like many of our forum members; I also grew up playing golf without any type of measuring device. Sprinkler heads weren't even marked I recall. Just stakes at typical yardages (200-150-100, etc.)  along the sides of the fairways. Today however, I use two devices. A small GPS unit and a LRF. Perhaps over-kill but the two in tandem work for me. I don't have nor have I ever used any form of green reading tool-map-chart-app. I have never used a yardage book either as most of my rounds are on well known courses. 

I do however have a strong opinion about Greens reading books of any kind and that is... NO! The only green reading tools should be your eyes, body, and mind. Period!

And while I'm on the subject.... for the pros I'd suggest they play only courses that are all 7500 yds or longer, redesign the existing courses they play, or if not require that they only carry a max of 5 clubs in their bags.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I definitely remember the days when whether a course was well marked factored into its perceived quality. An otherwise great golf course with a bunch of blank sprinkler heads was a PITA.

Fast forward to last year, I had a range finder battery crap out in the middle of a tournament round and was legit flustered. Now the laser arguably feels like the most important club in my bag.

Maybe I should play a full round without it just to find out how it affects confidence, shot selection and results.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

How does anyone have time to "step off yardages"? Play is painfully slow as it is. It seems that would result in a few ass whoopings a week...lol.

Rounds were actually played faster doing it this way. The courses that I played on as a kid had two sets of tees, men’s and ladies. They played way shorter than the card said because tees were only back for tournaments. Green speeds were 8.5, rough was generally mowed to two inches, people walked, they hit, went to their ball, hit again and on we went.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I use the Nexus one I tested here when playing regular golf. I do not use one on my walking rounds playing 8 clubs or less or on my vintage rounds. My brain works like a computer on certain things and I calculate slope and wind rather quickly and I do not hem and haw around.  One thing I have noticed on courses here since range finders and GPS have become popular no yardages on sprinkler heads just the standard 100 150 and when applicable 200 yard markers. Some courses do not have the colored flags anymore indicating front middle or back. Personally I do not trust GPS but that is just me. But for some folks GPS does speed them up and helps make a decision faster. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Like many of our forum members; I also grew up playing golf without any type of measuring device. Sprinkler heads weren't even marked I recall. Just stakes at typical yardages (200-150-100, etc.)  along the sides of the fairways. Today however, I use two devices. A small GPS unit and a LRF. Perhaps over-kill but the two in tandem work for me. I don't have nor have I ever used any form of green reading tool-map-chart-app. I have never used a yardage book either as most of my rounds are on well known courses. 

I do however have a strong opinion about Greens reading books of any kind and that is... NO! The only green reading tools should be your eyes, body, and mind. Period!

And while I'm on the subject.... for the pros I'd suggest they play only courses that are all 7500 yds or longer, redesign the existing courses they play, or if not require that they only carry a max of 5 clubs in their bags.

I have looked at green reading books and they are too much for my old feeble mind. I am like you I use my eyes body and mind on reading greens. I looked at one professionally done for possible sale in the Pro Shop at my home course. Trust me I know those greens well and I could not make hide nor hair out of that book.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I’ve never used a range finder. I pay attention to my surroundings and estimate distance to the middle of the green. Rarely do I play with someone who is good enough to do anything with the information they have been provided by whatever device they are using. I think estimating is without a doubt an acquired skill.

I absolutely see value in using these devices on unknown tracks but honestly I just find it more satisfying and fulfilling when I guesstimate my distance with no electronic aids.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

43 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

I’ve never used a range finder. I pay attention to my surroundings and estimate distance to the middle of the green. Rarely do I play with someone who is good enough to do anything with the information they have been provided by whatever device they are using. I think estimating is without a doubt an acquired skill.

I absolutely see value in using these devices on unknown tracks but honestly I just find it more satisfying and fulfilling when I guesstimate my distance with no electronic aids.

I would say that if you have a ballpark idea of how far you hit each club (within 10 yards or so), they are helpful.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

... I think rangefinders might be the single most beneficial advancement in the game. As some have already stated, walking off yardages took forever and could be highly inaccurate. Greens are not perfectly round so a yardage plate to the middle of one green from 150 in the center of the fairway with a pin back left can add 8 yds on one green and 28 yds on another. I played a course and one hole in particular used to cause me considerable trouble estimating the yardage. Trees blocked the approach from the left side so right side or even the light rough on the right side was preferable to even middle left. I found myself coming up short all too often. That year I purchased my first rangefinder. 

... So calculating 5 yards behind the 150 marker in the first cut on the right side to a back left pin, I would come up with something like add 5 for the right side angle and add another 10 for the back pin so 155 + 5 + 10 gives me 170 and I added another 5 for good measure leaving me 175. First day with a rangefinder in the first cut on the right side to a middle left pin I had 181 according to the rangefinder. 181?!?!? I had been figuring 175 to a back pin. Thinking about it more after those results I realized the geometry was just more prevalent than I calculated. The fairway eases it's way left and I am in the right rough. The green is a somewhat crescent shape adding more distance I had not figured in. But to make matters worse, I had my pard stand in the dead center of the green and standing on the 150 plate in the middle of the fairway I measured 161 yds. 

... That last sentence sums up why I think a rangefinder is an absolute must, or a GPS for those more comfortable using those. I have done this several more times and am amazed at how far off yardage markers can be. The 150 yd white stake on the side of the fairway and the 150 paint on the cart path can be off by 25 yards. You would think they measured from the 150 paint but it is usually measured even with the 150 marker in the middle of the fairway. Golf is hard enough without being tricked by poor yardage markings and with a good rangefinder, I have my yardage in under 10 seconds from pulling it from the top pocket in my bag to replacing it. And lastly playing a new course, which I did about 30 times in Phoenix last winter, knowing a bunker/water is not just in front of a green but actually even with the middle of the green but an optical illusion from 170 out, it is a huge help to know I need 165 to clear that bunker/water and I will take more club because long is better than short with only 5 yds for error when eyeballing it would have made me think I had 10-15 yards of green to play with. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My issues with all the tech is.

Generalized here:

Get to your ball, target your distance, Shank it off into the swamp. Drop ball, get distance, duff it to the sand trap. Take 3 shots to get out of sand trap....

All while your buddies stand and assist you, while they could have been at their own ball using their own range finder, but you all go to each other’s shot to offer assistance.

IF... they had all gone to their own ball, got their distance, and all duffed their shots 20 feet, at least they can start the process over for themselves.

If you want to use a range diner I have nothing against it. Some people have depth perception problems, no big deal.

It would be much better if the courses had GPS in the carts everywhere, updated with that days hole location.

Walkers use a range finder.

My issue with non-tech users is.

Generalized here:

Guy walking to his ball, can't find a sprinkler head.  Has group wander around for two minutes to find one.  Step off a distance, loses count, starts over.  Has to pull out slide rule and notebook to calculate hypotenuse of right triangle.  Finally figures out a distance, Shank it off into the swamp.  Drop ball get distance, duff it into a sand trap. Take 3 shots to get out of sand trap....

All while your buddies stand and assist you....

Visual perception of distance is a skill, but is correctly not a skill required to play golf.

Touring pros have caddies with detailed yardage books and pin sheets.  They have exact yardages nearly all the time... they just need to do some math.  Just let them use lasers, as @jacustomgolf states above.  Spare me the basic math during the coverage.

Members of clubs with caddy programs have caddies that should know yardages from nearly every spot on the golf course (because someone's going to take you there at some point).  I caddied at the same club for nine years.  I knew the place like the back of my hand.  I knew that the 150 plate on #6 was wrong.  I knew which tree was the "go for it" tree on #4 (and who shouldn't go for it, regardless).  That required no skill on the part of my golfers, and frankly it didn't require much skill on my part either.  When you play a course twice a week or more and then walk it another five times a week, you get to know it pretty well. 

So why should tour pros and rich folks at exclusive clubs have an advantage that the average joe playing a muni doesn't have?  Rangefinders and GPS have finally put that kind of knowledge into the hands of the regular golfer at a reasonable price.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino