cnosil

2020 Stroke Lab Putters

With the new PGA season starting the new 2020 equipment is starting to show up on the practice greens/ranges. Saw some previews of the new stroke lab putters. Look familiar to anyone?

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/09/10/spotted-new-odyssey-stroke-lab-ten-bird-of-prey-putters-golf-clubs-equipment.html

• Like 1

No shame at all among golf companies.  Normally I just roll my eyes and accept copy cat designs as part of the industry, but this one takes the cake.  Good lord.

• Like 2

As the famous quote by Oscar Wilde states, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

I'm not surprised at all with Odyssey's decision, and I'm sure it's - at least in part - in response to wanting to keep a TM product out of the hands of staff players or because the players have specifically requested the head shape.

I'm also quite sure the putter won't work as well for some current users of the TM Spider and will work better for others. My personal opinion though, is that the TM looks a lot better, but I'm not sure how I feel about the TM insert. 

Edited by TR1PTIK
  • Like 2

As others have said, I'm not surprised by the shape, what I'm more concerned about is if and how they've redesigned the insert. In our testing in the Stroke Lab thread it was pretty well uniform that all of us hated the feel off the face. Will be interesting to see how Odyssey plan on fixing that.

• Like 3

As others have said, I'm not surprised by the shape, what I'm more concerned about is if and how they've redesigned the insert. In our testing in the Stroke Lab thread it was pretty well uniform that all of us hated the feel off the face. Will be interesting to see how Odyssey plan on fixing that.

I hadn’t read up on the thread since I rolled one at the store and did not like the feel either. I’d like to try the Toulon design ones or If an odyssey full milled line comes out again, but no store around here seems to carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually like the look at address of the Odyssey more than the TM.  Everyone expects all putter companies to have an Anser style putter in their lineup so why should we not expect companies to have different, more modern shapes like the Spider style in their lineup? 

Odyssey isn't alone in this...

@westonmaughangolf via Instagram:1831537633_ScreenShot2019-09-11at13_23_26.png.2fd231cebea8f6ce5c59d62491157faf.png

• Like 3

On 9/11/2019 at 9:01 AM, B.Boston said:

I hadn’t read up on the thread since I rolled one at the store and did not like the feel either. I’d like to try the Toulon design ones or If an odyssey full milled line comes out again, but no store around here seems to carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't appear the insert has changed on the 2020 Spider Stroke Lab. Looks exactly the same but I'm sure Odyssey's marketing dept will claim it rolls the ball 7% straighter than prior year models...with absolutely no change in the insert. If you notice, a lot of guys on tour that play a Odyssey stroke lab designed putter generally don't have the stock insert...it's either the old white hot insert or something other than the latest and greatest. I get that pros don't play on the same greens as the average golfer and getting the ball rolling isn't their top priority, but it is an eye opener on TV when the guys paid to play their equipment don't utilize the latest 'technology'

The toulon does feel more solid and you definitely get more feedback from the solid milled putter over an insert. The toulon face diamond mill design is more about sound at impact in relation to distance of how far the ball should travel than anything else. There's a really good interview with Sean Toulon about how the design originated with the help of Loren Roberts. Speaking from experience, if you mishit a toulon, you'll definitely struggle with distance control...which was why I switched from the Toulon Las Vegas back to an Evnroll. 

• Like 2