FrogginBullfish

McIlroy Player of the Year

I was leaning towards Brooks on this one, but it was so close, I don't know how you could say anyone got it wrong. It's just that if majors are supposed to be everything and ultimately define the careers of professionals, then Brooks obviously performed better than Rory.

Rory had one heck of a year though and should have won a lot more than he did. Hopefully, what he did accomplish is enough to light a fire under him and get him in the winner's circle at a major in 2020.

• Like 1

I feel Rory had the better season and the players got this vote correct.

Brooks did win two majors, and that is a phenomenal year. He just went up against Rory who was consistently great all year. I think he only missed one cut, and rarely finished below the top 20 this season.

I kinda want to see if Brooks uses this as more "fuel" of him not getting any respect and has an even better season in 2020.

• Like 1

I could go with either one, both had awesome years.
I’m sure Brooks will take it as fuel for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rory's year?
Tiger's year?
Which would you chose?

Green Jacket >
  • Like 2

Tiger's 5th Green Jacket and 15th Major - 'nuff said...

• Like 3

This was one of the best seasons the PGA Tour has had in awhile I think.

I can't disagree with McIlroy winning Player of the Year, but I also wouldn't have been able to disagree if Brooks won. Maybe a tie might have been ideal?

They both won 3 events, but Brooks had an historic performance in majors becoming only the second to ever finish top 5 in all four, including one win and two runner-ups. But Rory won the Players and the Tour Championship/FedEx Cup and the Canadian Open. But Brooks also won a WGC and the CJ Cup in November.

Honestly, co-winners might have been the perfect way to celebrate their respective seasons as it's really tough to choose between them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Pretty close numbers.  I think the decision has a "likeability" factor that played a larger than usual part this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Rory's year?

Tiger's year?

Which would you chose?

Rory’s by a mile. 

Sure Rory would like to have the green jacket. Tiger played 12 times and missed the cut in 2 majors. Pretty much didn’t play after the masters.

rory had a dominating year on tour and won the players and tour championship/FedEx cup and may even make a run for euro race to Dubai 

majors are great and Rory has a long career ahead of him to get the green jacket and more majors 

• Like 2

Rory was very consistent throughout the year, but he didn't have a good finish at the Masters and missed the cut at The Open Championship.  Since they both had 3 wins, I guess it comes down to a Players, Tour Championship and a lot of top 10's beat a win, two 2nd's and a T-4 in the majors along with a WGC win.  I could go either way, but Rory's performance seemed almost Kuchar-like, while I think Koepka's performance in the majors is something we don't/won't get to see very often.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Rory McIlroy was voted Player of the Year by his fellow PGA TOUR players over Brooks Koepka.

What do you guys think? Did the players get this one right?

I never understand the did the players get it right or wrong. These guys are playing tournaments with each other week in and week out. They know much better than fans, writers or broadcasters who should win awards. Of course they go it right it was their vote. 

• Like 2

It's just a fun discussion to have. Of course it's their decision at the end of the day.

I never understand the did the players get it right or wrong. These guys are playing tournaments with each other week in and week out. They know much better than fans, writers or broadcasters who should win awards. Of course they go it right it was their vote. 

• Like 2

As most of you know, Rory McIlroy just won the PGA Player of the Year award for the third time. Although I enjoy watching him (Rory) play, and was happy to see him win the FedEx Cup, I do think that B. Koepka should have won the Player of the Year award for his performance this year. He placed well in all majors, and even won one, and he also won two other events over the course of the season; in addition, he made more cuts than Rory--both in majors and in regular events. Not only did he make more cuts in majors than Rory, but he also made the top ten in every major; a rare feat for even the best of PGA Tour players. All in all, this is just my opinion, and I'd like to hear your guys' take on the topic. Thanks for reading my thoughts!

Yes but they are also far more inclined to go with their buddy - they are human, too.

Having written this I can certainly see an argument for either player - it’s a non-issue IMO. Both had greats seasons, one had to win, it was Rory.

It’s an interesting question - when do wins trump majors - how many wins is a major worth? Would you rather have a career with 3 majors and 10 wins total or one with 1 major and 20 wins?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, revkev said:

Yes but they are also far more inclined to go with their buddy - they are human, too.

Having written this I can certainly see an argument for either player - it’s a non-issue IMO. Both had greats seasons, one had to win, it was Rory.

It’s an interesting question - when do wins trump majors - how many wins is a major worth? Would you rather have a career with 3 majors and 10 wins total or one with 1 major and 20 wins?

The last part I think is where people are looking at it wrong imo.

for a career having multiple majors outweighs some number of wins, but the award is for the tour calendar year.

Rory’s performance for this year is better than brooks. Frdexcup points for the players and pga championship are the same. Rory finished in the top 10 14/19 events where brooks was only 9/21. 

Rory’s strokes gained also better than Brooks.

ive seen people asking if rory would rather have tigers year simply because of the green jacket. Tiger did nothing outside of that win in 12 events.

majors hold a lot of weight in the eyes of fans and the media and the players want them but st the same time the players recognize what happens week in and week out and who has the better performance.  As for friendships yeah I’m sure there is probably some of that but I don’t think brooks or Rory are the social types with other players off the course so friendship wise it’s probably a wash.

• Like 3

@Rickybobby - I have no issue with Rory winning for the reasons you’ve sighted -

Consider that they split the two merit based awards - their seasons were obviously close

I get the argument in his favor - since I didn’t have a vote I wasn’t concerned with it. A players and the fed ex championship are not chopped liver. They certainly equal and perhaps top a major.

So if those two offset Brook’s win Rory has the other numbers in his corner.

• Like 1

They have both won "player of the year" off the course.....if you know what I mean 😉

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, revkev said:

@Rickybobby - I have no issue with Rory winning for the reasons you’ve sighted -

Consider that they split the two merit based awards - their seasons were obviously close

I get the argument in his favor - since I didn’t have a vote I wasn’t concerned with it. A players and the fed ex championship are not chopped liver. They certainly equal and perhaps top a major.

So if those two offset Brook’s win Rory has the other numbers in his corner.

A major and a wgc aren’t a bad year. Tour championship is probably same as wgc and players is right there with pga champ (players has stronger field than probably all majors). Canadian Open trumps the nine at Bridges.

rorys sg stats to me tell the story

My opinion......everything pales in comparison to a Major.  Therefore, Brooks is the POY!  Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?  Nope! 

Looking forward to seeing Brooks and Rory battle for the green jacket in April.

• Like 4