FrogginBullfish

McIlroy Player of the Year

28 minutes ago, sixcat said:

My opinion......everything pales in comparison to a Major.  Therefore, Brooks is the POY!  Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?  Nope! 

Looking forward to seeing Brooks and Rory battle for the green jacket in April.

That would be Must See TV!

• Like 3

Word has it that Chamblee was the deciding vote  😄😄  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Word has it that Chamblee was the deciding vote    

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Word has it that Chamblee was the deciding vote  😄😄  

I heard Brandel Chamblee, Bryson DeChambeau and JB Holmes were holding private meetings before voting took place!  Such a "meeting" could prove to be the most reckless self-sabotage I have ever seen!  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Because we don't like Brooks because... He has the perception that he doesn't try unless it's a major? And that's bad for the image of the game? 

To be honest, I think if you kept each season exactly the same and swapped Brooks vs Rory, I think Rory still wins. And I also think everyone in the general public would still say Rory should win...

It doesn't inherently bother me that it's basically a popularity contest, but as long as we all recognize as much. 

• Like 1

My opinion......everything pales in comparison to a Major.  Therefore, Brooks is the POY!  Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?  Nope! 

Looking forward to seeing Brooks and Rory battle for the green jacket in April.

This is where it would make sense for them to announce the vote - it’s also an item of curiosity for me as to where people rank majors and also is there a pecking order among the majors themselves.

The Players has a stronger field and is tougher to win than the Masters beyond a doubt - so would you rank a win at the Masters ahead of the Players? Would I (yes because it’s a Major). But does everyone on tour? I’m going to guess not. There are probably rank and file guys who harbor ill feelings because they are ranked inside the top 100 but aren’t in while winners of several Am events are in.

But those guys are on tour and it’s their prerogative to vote as they see fit for this award.

Was it a close vote? I would think so. Maybe the JB Holmes block cost Brooks, that could happen. Maybe enough people felt Rory had the better season.

Again he won the Playoffs, it’s hard to put yourself in position to do that, he had to overcome an opening deficit and he beat Brooks head to head down the stretch.

If I had a vote I’d probably have voted for Brooks but I would understand going the other way or even flipping a coin.

Hopefully both play great in the new season. We’ve had the promise of rivalries throughout the past twenty five years and none have materialized. Phil/Tiger was never much of one - the healthy Tiger crushed Phil. We’ve yet to really get Rory, Jordan, Dustin or Justin playing well at the same time for a stretch.

Another season like this last one would be great for golf.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, revkev said:

This is where it would make sense for them to announce the vote - it’s also an item of curiosity for me as to where people rank majors and also is there a pecking order among the majors themselves.

The Players has a stronger field and is tougher to win than the Masters beyond a doubt - so would you rank a win at the Masters ahead of the Players? Would I (yes because it’s a Major). But does everyone on tour? I’m going to guess not. There are probably rank and file guys who harbor ill feelings because they are ranked inside the top 100 but aren’t in while winners of several Am events are in.

But those guys are on tour and it’s their prerogative to vote as they see fit for this award.

Was it a close vote? I would think so. Maybe the JB Holmes block cost Brooks, that could happen. Maybe enough people felt Rory had the better season.

Again he won the Playoffs, it’s hard to put yourself in position to do that, he had to overcome an opening deficit and he beat Brooks head to head down the stretch.

If I had a vote I’d probably have voted for Brooks but I would understand going the other way or even flipping a coin.

Hopefully both play great in the new season. We’ve had the promise of rivalries throughout the past twenty five years and none have materialized. Phil/Tiger was never much of one - the healthy Tiger crushed Phil. We’ve yet to really get Rory, Jordan, Dustin or Justin playing well at the same time for a stretch.

Another season like this last one would be great for golf.

Majors have prestige for their traditions and in some cases the courses as well. Everyone wants to win majors and the media has conditioned everyone to the importance of them. The coverage around them the week before and the days leading up to the tournament round is non stop. The commentary during the rounds is different and so focused on the “pressure of the moment.”  You get some of this at WGCs and The Players. 

I think it would be hard to say whether the masters, the open and the us open is bigger than the other since a lot of that depends on perspective of the fan or player but I think being the oldest major the open is the highest, followed by the us open because everyone wants to win their country’s open. The masters is great and with its lifetime exemption to the event and the history around it could be an easy argument to be 1 or 2. The pga is the red headed step child of majors

From a PGA tour standpoint the majors and the players get the same FedEx cup points. Winning a major is 50 pts more than winning a WGC and 100 pts more than other pga tour events.

We as fans put the majors way above everything else and believe they trump everything. Look at the debate about the open champ and the masters champ not being in the tour championship despite their years being mediocre. 

If brooks wins 2 majors and the bridges event no doubt he wins player of the year over rory and his season. If brooks added another victory he wins the award. At 3 wins each and both having one big tournament victory worth the same FedEx cup points and tour championship being bigger than wgc st Jude and Rory winning the Canadian Open that trumps the bridges event.

• Like 2

Rory had a great season.  Regardless of the outcome, I love how the PGA set up the presentation.  

• Like 1

Majors have prestige for their traditions and in some cases the courses as well. Everyone wants to win majors and the media has conditioned everyone to the importance of them. The coverage around them the week before and the days leading up to the tournament round is non stop. The commentary during the rounds is different and so focused on the “pressure of the moment.”  You get some of this at WGCs and The Players. 
I think it would be hard to say whether the masters, the open and the us open is bigger than the other since a lot of that depends on perspective of the fan or player but I think being the oldest major the open is the highest, followed by the us open because everyone wants to win their country’s open. The masters is great and with its lifetime exemption to the event and the history around it could be an easy argument to be 1 or 2. The pga is the red headed step child of majors
From a PGA tour standpoint the majors and the players get the same FedEx cup points. Winning a major is 50 pts more than winning a WGC and 100 pts more than other pga tour events.
We as fans put the majors way above everything else and believe they trump everything. Look at the debate about the open champ and the masters champ not being in the tour championship despite their years being mediocre. 
If brooks wins 2 majors and the bridges event no doubt he wins player of the year over rory and his season. If brooks added another victory he wins the award. At 3 wins each and both having one big tournament victory worth the same FedEx cup points and tour championship being bigger than wgc st Jude and Rory winning the Canadian Open that trumps the bridges event.

I agree with nearly all of what you’ve written except the implication that fans value majors more than players do. Nicklaus made the pursuit of majors paramount and Tiger’s pursuit of Jack has set that opinion in stone - not fans’ opinions about majors.

I suspect there is a wider opinion about the importance of majors among players than among the fans - most guys aren’t going to win majors, fewer still multiple majors and the gap between 2 and 3 majors is a dividing line.

Some guys may be sick of hearing about Brook’s great play in the Majors - they don’t care about majors - they are just trying to keep their card.

I don’t believe the opinions on tour are monolithic in regards to this topic. I’d love to see how the players voted and learn why.

It’s been nice to see that happen in baseball with the Hall of Fane vote.

• Like 1

Without knowing who voted or how many players voted, we will never know for sure if the vote was close or the result was decided by a certain contingent of players.  The total number of votes could have been so few that it would be embarrassing to the Tour to release that information.

Actually, Koepka won the PGA of America Player of the Year and was the 2018-2019 money winner.  The winner is based on a points system.

McIlroy won the PGA Tour Player of the Year.  The winner is based on Tour player votes, 'nuff said.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, revkev said:

I agree with nearly all of what you’ve written except the implication that fans value majors more than players do. Nicklaus made the pursuit of majors paramount and Tiger’s pursuit of Jack has set that opinion in stone - not fans’ opinions about majors.

I suspect there is a wider opinion about the importance of majors among players than among the fans - most guys aren’t going to win majors, fewer still multiple majors and the gap between 2 and 3 majors is a dividing line.

Some guys may be sick of hearing about Brook’s great play in the Majors - they don’t care about majors - they are just trying to keep their card.

I don’t believe the opinions on tour are monolithic in regards to this topic. I’d love to see how the players voted and learn why.

It’s been nice to see that happen in baseball with the Hall of Fane vote.

I wasn’t trying to say fans value more than players, rather we put too much emphasis on them when looking at certain aspects of the game due to the way they are presented. When it comes to accomplishments they are the goal of every golfer and the significance of ones career is judged on how many you win and in some cases what you do after your first one.  But during the course of the season they are 1 event and their significance in points isn’t really that much more than other events.

the hall of fame vote for baseball is an interesting one. The concept of the writers voting back when there were few and they travelled everywhere with the teams and knew the players compared to today where there’s hundreds and many rarely spend time with teams and their criteria is probably 100x more subjective than the pga players going for player of the year. The baseball hall of fame voting need to change imo 

I wasn’t trying to say fans value more than players, rather we put too much emphasis on them when looking at certain aspects of the game due to the way they are presented. When it comes to accomplishments they are the goal of every golfer and the significance of ones career is judged on how many you win and in some cases what you do after your first one.  But during the course of the season they are 1 event and their significance in points isn’t really that much more than other events.
the hall of fame vote for baseball is an interesting one. The concept of the writers voting back when there were few and they travelled everywhere with the teams and knew the players compared to today where there’s hundreds and many rarely spend time with teams and their criteria is probably 100x more subjective than the pga players going for player of the year. The baseball hall of fame voting need to change imo 

But it’s transparent - baseball Hall of Fame voting that is. Wouldn’t you love to know what guys on tour think in regards to who the best player was and why.

I would, I think it would only benefit the game if we did.

Good discussion BTW - thanks

1 hour ago, revkev said:

But it’s transparent - baseball Hall of Fame voting that is. Wouldn’t you love to know what guys on tour think in regards to who the best player was and why.

I would, I think it would only benefit the game if we did.

Good discussion BTW - thanks

Transparent yes but not always sensible. I honestly don’t care who voted for who especially yearly honors. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting that individual votes be made public, just that the total votes cast to which players should be.

Whether you care or not, there are some who would find just how many votes Rory won by quite interesting. Right now, speculation amongst media and fans is that it was a really tight race between him and Koepka. Releasing the total figures would confirm, or deny, those suspicions for the people who do care to know. Plus it might even speak to the argument you've been making that we place too much emphasis on majors. Or of course it could indicate that it might just be a bit of a popularity contest amongst the contenders if further voting demographic stats are released.

Transparent yes but not always sensible. I honestly don’t care who voted for who especially yearly honors. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that individual votes be made public, just that the total votes cast to which players should be.

Whether you care or not, there are some who would find just how many votes Rory won by quite interesting. Right now, speculation amongst media and fans is that it was a really tight race between him and Koepka. Releasing the total figures would confirm, or deny, those suspicions for the people who do care to know. Plus it might even speak to the argument you've been making that we place too much emphasis on majors. Or of course it could indicate that it might just be a bit of a popularity contest amongst the contenders if further voting demographic stats are released.

If individual votes weren’t made public how would one determine if there was a popularity contest or not, if majors were favored less or not, or any subjective criteria the tour players used.

just like most awards in sports or hall of fame there’s not much of any objective criteria used to select a winner. Each person votes based on whatever criteria they want.

at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who won, why they won or if they were the right or wrong choice. Life goes on for fans, media and players.  

I don’t either - I’d simply want to know why - why did you vote the way you did.

That would be interesting to me.

• Like 1

They wouldn't have to release individual statistics, but release voting demographics based on region (country/continent) and age group could provide some basis for analysing how the players are voting for Player of the Year.

If individual votes weren’t made public how would one determine if there was a popularity contest or not, if majors were favored less or not, or any subjective criteria the tour players used.
just like most awards in sports or hall of fame there’s not much of any objective criteria used to select a winner. Each person votes based on whatever criteria they want.
at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who won, why they won or if they were the right or wrong choice. Life goes on for fans, media and players.