Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

McIlroy Player of the Year

FrogginBullfish

Well this gets more interesting - I was watching Morning Drive this morning and they posited that Bryson plays better in top events because the entire field plays slower and so he doesn't stand out.  But they didn't give us the statistics to prove that they play slower.

I honestly think that the rounds do take longer in majors and there is a reason for it that's the obvious one - each one of those events has a number of players in them that are not accustomed to tour level course conditions - of course the pace of play will be slower. 

Honestly I don't see why what is happening on the PGA tour or any tour should impact us - slow play is an issue for many of us - we don't play golf for a living - it will impact how often, how many and when people play if a round of golf takes over a certain amount of time.

At some point we have to recognize that there is a difference between how golf is played at the highest of levels and how we play it - it's still golf there's just a difference - I'd quit if I had to play golf from 7,300 yards long with 30 yard wide fairways, greens like cement that ran at 12.5 and three inches of Bermuda rough - so there's already a difference - I'd love to see some changes to professional events that make the game that they play more similar to the one that I do - let's see them not able to reach some par 4's in regulation or have to play most par 5's in 3 shots or have traps that aren't properly and perfectly raked or tees that aren't level - I'm all for that.

If however the USGA decides to roll back equipment for all golfers I'll just stop playing by their rules altogether - right now I have leagues that play by their rules with allowable local rule exceptions - I'd stop playing in those leagues if they followed suit and just play for fun.

Sorry for the rant -

Back on point the numbers say that Rory is wrong and that the scores at European events are very similar to those at PGA events - right now those guys have figured out how to shoot low scores on tough courses.  Just like MLB players have figured out that its better to hit HRs to score runs than try and fight all the various shifts employed against them - I still saw an exciting 4-3 playoff game last night - I don't really care how the runs scored it was as exciting as ever.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Do you think Brooks, Rory, DJ, Snedeker play significantly slower during the US Open or The Open outside of the players in their group or ahead of them affecting the pace of play?

yes... still faster than the average guy, but slower than easy setup non-majors.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”