revkev

Wedge gapping

53 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I watched that episode and it was full of good information. The segment where he talked about 3 swings each club with same “texture” was my favorite.

Yeah I turned it on just before that. The dude hitting was deadly with the wedges. 

I ditched the Ft. Worth’s and TK wedges because I felt there was too many wedges. I had 47, 51, 55, 59, and even a 63. It was ok between 65-120 yards as I had a club for each distance but while the TK wedges were great on full swings I didn’t think they were as good from out of the bunker or easily opened up around the green. Then, inside 65 yards I was always second guessing which wedge to hit. Just too many wedges for me.

For me, I’m back to one wedge, a Triple Duty wedge for all my shots around the green and within 60 yards, 60-100 yards get the 52* PW (yes, old school lofts).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I ditched the Ft. Worth’s and TK wedges because I felt there was too many wedges. I had 47, 51, 55, 59, and even a 63. It was ok between 65-120 yards as I had a club for each distance but while the TK wedges were great on full swings I didn’t think they were as good from out of the bunker or easily opened up around the green. Then, inside 65 yards I was always second guessing which wedge to hit. Just too many wedges for me.

For me, I’m back to one wedge, a Triple Duty wedge for all my shots around the green and within 60 yards, 60-100 yards get the 52* PW (yes, old school lofts).

Love this... simplification!

MDGolfHacker

I’ve modified your approach but yes the simplification has worked wonders for me. That’s a part of the point of this thread. I now have 2 wedges that I’m using around the green instead of 4. Deciding on a club to use and shot to hit has become a no brained again. I’d rather hit the “wrong” shot confidentially than chunk or blade the proper one. :)

I have a couple of TK wedges kicking around but haven’t games them. I have no trouble varying shots with my SCORs. None

I’m also marginal out of the trap with them - for me that’s very good BTW. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

I’ve modified your approach but yes the simplification has worked wonders for me. That’s a part of the point of this thread. I now have 2 wedges that I’m using around the green instead of 4. Deciding on a club to use and shot to hit has become a no brained again. I’d rather hit the “wrong” shot confidentially than chunk or blade the proper one. :)

I have a couple of TK wedges kicking around but haven’t games them. I have no trouble varying shots with my SCORs. None

I’m also marginal out of the trap with them - for me that’s very good BTW. :)

I love the idea of what Terry Koehler was doing with his wedge design but the weight moving progressively higher up on the head as the loft increased really doesn’t work well for bunker play, at least for me. Give me a nice heavy swingweight with the weight as low as possible in the head.

I have always based my all of my irons off of my PW distance. I am looking for 135-140 out of that club and base the remaining lofts accordingly. I have had 4 wedges in my bag for 20 years, well before it was common. I struggle with taking distance off wedges so always wanted tight gaps to cover a good range of distances. I am longer than average off the tee so wedges have always been frequently used. If I drop putter, driver & 3W, my 4 wedges are the most used club in my bag. 

When lofts were more traditional my PW was 48 and carried 52, 56, 60. Now that they are a little stronger I am at 46, 50, 54, 58. (Waiting for my new irons and wedges which will be 45, 50, 56, 60. Curious how this will work out). 

Now with all that being said from 85 yards and in 95% of the shots are with my 58. 1984 shots in my last 164 rounds compared to 833 with the driver for reference. I keep it simple. I don't practice enough to have 4 different swings with 4 different wedges. I have a bunch of different swings that work with 1 club. I am by no means a master wedge player but it has always been, for me the easiest way to get the ball in the hole using this approach. 

• Like 1

I’ve been re-thinking mine, for sure. I’ve thought about going to just two wedges after my pitching wedge as I really only use my 58* for full shots from around 90 yards. I don’t ever hit flops, so I may go 52*/56*. I remember years ago, in HS and college, just having the 56* and making it work from everywhere.

One note on Pelz’s recommendations that I noticed when I had my Hot Metal Pro irons was that since I hit the PW so far, I actually had an additional gap where another wedge was needed! Some are having to find a hybrid/driving iron at the top due to these new “hot irons”/jacked lofts, some need more wedges. Finding the right wedge mix is definitely a big need.

Now, if there were some decent options to go through wedge fittings, that would be awesome! Club Champion and the like, indoors, just doesn’t cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I was playing 52/56/60 for a little over 2 years with a 46* PW. I struggled with a 6* difference for a full swing gap, and it left me in awkward situations at least once a round. From 80y and in I was using 56* almost exclusively, unless I needed to go up and stop fast -- then I'd pull the 60*

Just switched wedges and lofts and went to 50/54/58 so I have 4* gaps all around now. Didn't have any of those previously-awkward distances to test the new 50* in my practice round yesterday, but I'm glad I'm able to control distance with the 54* which is very important for my game.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, as others mentioned in the thread. You just need to analyze your game and go with whatever composition will allow you to play how you want to play, and how you're able to play with success. Make the equipment fit your game, not the other way around 🙂

• Like 4

I was playing 52/56/60 for a little over 2 years with a 46* PW. I struggled with a 6* difference for a full swing gap, and it left me in awkward situations at least once a round. From 80y and in I was using 56* almost exclusively, unless I needed to go up and stop fast -- then I'd pull the 60*
Just switched wedges and lofts and went to 50/54/58 so I have 4* gaps all around now. Didn't have any of those previously-awkward distances to test the new 50* in my practice round yesterday, but I'm glad I'm able to control distance with the 54* which is very important for my game.
I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, as others mentioned in the thread. You just need to analyze your game and go with whatever composition will allow you to play how you want to play, and how you're able to play with success. Make the equipment fit your game, not the other way around

Exactly

• Like 1

I'm rocking the same as you used to 44/48/52/56/60. The 48 and 52 were bent by a Club Champion pro who thought I needed a more exact lay out. I like the creativity it allows me like from 50 yds I will play a half swing 52, 60 yds a 3/4 56 and 70 yds a half swing 48.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I'm rocking the same as you used to 44/48/52/56/60. The 48 and 52 were bent by a Club Champion pro who thought I needed a more exact lay out. I like the creativity it allows me like from 50 yds I will play a half swing 52, 60 yds a 3/4 56 and 70 yds a half swing 48.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I’m curious as to how often you have that shot in a round? Do you know your average proximity from the hole at 50 yards? (I don’t know mine BTW - in fact i can’t recall having a number in the 50’s this entire season during an actual round.)

This is the type of consideration I’m getting at. Is there a real, tangible benefit to having two or three shots to hit from 50 yards for an amateur golfer who is limited in regards to practice time? Would that time be better spent working on putting? Chipping? Hitting greens from 150? Driving it in the fairway? Shots that occur multiple times every round.

I’m just not seeing the need for all of these shots with a club that I use less than 3 percent of the time when there are other clubs that I use far more frequently and that have a much greater impact on my score.

I can get the ball on the green from 50 yards if I find myself there and then two putt. That’s the same result I’d expect if I spent all my practice time on that shot.

Putting 3 wood in the bag in place of a wedge decreases my score without swinging a club.

Could there be a move like that for you? Maybe it’s the opposite, ditching 3 wood and 5 wood for 4 wood and adding a wedge. Maybe it’s putting 9 wood in instead of 5 iron -

Brodie is right, Pelz and his disciples are wrong IMO. Shooting lower scores is about figuring out how to get the ball closer to the hole in regulation.

Having written that being able to get up and down when you should, from just off the green and a flat lie or from 30 feet on the green is huge as is avoiding stupid mistakes - taking 4 from 68 yards - stuff like that....

• Like 1

I believe I just found my new wedges.

Fourteen has the TF wedges in 51 and 57. Cavity back Forged wedge. Sounds perfect.

• Like 3

Yesterday I found a stupider mistake than 4 from 68. Try 6 from 101 dead center of the fairway!

Ruined a perfectly good round.

It had nothing to do with my wedge gapping and everything to do with my back tightening up because our pace of play was like a tortoise on downers. 4:02 for a round of golf is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, revkev said:

Yesterday I found a stupider mistake than 4 from 68. Try 6 from 101 dead center of the fairway!

Ruined a perfectly good round.

It had nothing to do with my wedge gapping and everything to do with my back tightening up because our pace of play was like a tortoise on downers. 4:02 for a round of golf is beyond ridiculous.

Complaining about a 4:02 round of golf?!? Man, I could be so lucky.  Tee off any time after 9am around here and you're staring at 4:30 at a minimum

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, revkev said:

I did something similar in my match play singles at Copperhead on Sunday. We started back-9 and I was up 5 through 6 holes. 

I center striped my tee shot on 16 (the opener of the Snake Pit) then the wheels fell off. Missed green right, pitch into bunker, blade bunker shot across green, pitch back, chip, putt.... 7!

Yup, lost that hole.

Complaining about a 4:02 round of golf?!? Man, I could be so lucky.  Tee off any time after 9am around here and you're staring at 4:30 at a minimum

I rarely have to play rounds that take more than 3:30. Yesterday was a classic example of what happens when people choose to play a set of tees that’s too long. Waited on every swing on the back nine.

If you take over 400 for a round twice in a row you loose weekend morning playing privileges for a month at my club. Sadly we tee’d off at 12:18 and the group ahead of us at noon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I rarely have to play rounds that take more than 3:30. Yesterday was a classic example of what happens when people choose to play a set of tees that’s too long. Waited on every swing on the back nine.

If you take over 400 for a round twice in a row you loose weekend morning playing privileges for a month at my club. Sadly we tee’d off at 12:18 and the group ahead of us at noon.

Yep!  The difference between a private club that everyone plays all the time, and a muni like mine where many people play once in a while.  Count yourself lucky!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revkev said:

If you take over 400 for a round twice in a row you loose weekend morning playing privileges for a month at my club.

That seems a little harsh.  Couple of questions though.

What are the standard tee time gaps there? It seems like more and more clubs have gone to 8 minutes between tee times to maximize thru-put of groups in a day. That is too close together in my opinion, and leads to backups and longer rounds because the course is too crowded and there is no opportunity for players to miss a shot without disrupting the flow.

What kind of play are they basing their timing on? I've played all summer using USGA rules for league play and with 4 players in each group, all playing every stroke through the hole and following all the OB/lost ball rules etc., our fastest rounds come in at around 4:20 to 4:30. Is your club assuming gimmes, lateral drops on everything and other 'friendly round' adjustments to the rules?

Seems like they would know already that a crowded course with everyone using 2-player carts makes things go more slowly rather than faster.

4 and a half hour rounds? Good grief!

No wonder people dislike golf. I’d give up golf too, that’s insane.

4 and a half hour rounds? Good grief!

No wonder people dislike golf. I’d give up golf too, that’s insane.

A few Courses near me are 4-4 1/2 hours with no waiting on shots. Just a lot of distance between holes. Can’t just judge simply based by time to play
  • Like 3