revkev

Wedge gapping

Im not really a believer that you need even gapping between your wedges and the rest of the clubs in your bag because the way you use wedges is different from how you use the other clubs in your bag.

For a long time, I carried a 50 or 52 degree wedge but almost never used the darned thing.  For me, those clubs are about a 100 yard club and I simply never really find myself hitting from that yardage very often.  I would usually either use my 9-iron (120 yards) or my 54/56 degree (90 yards).

Glad to see this thread still has legs.

I would remind that I’m not saying that everyone should switch to fewer wedges, I’m saying everyone should analyze his game to check on club usage and effectiveness of that usage.

Don’t just use 4 evenly gapped wedges because Dave Pelz says you should. What if you have pulled your 185 yard club for that extra wedge and you never use the thing but you have 10 185 yard shots a season and when you look at that distance you’re taking over 4 shots to get it in the hole from there?

At our level it’s about making pars and bogeys, not birdies. Even though my mind says birdie with a wedge in my hand I don’t often make one. I don’t have enough practice time for that.

Fully agree with Chisag about flighting it down - I like piercing, spinning wedges, much easier to control.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Glad I found this thread as I’ve been tinkering with my wedge game a bit recently. I carry 5 wedges, which I thought was unusual, but I have a method to my madness.

I have a pitching wedge(44°) and gap wedge(49°) in my iron set. Then I have a 52°, 56° and 60°. I use them all for full shots but only use the 56 and 60 for chipping.

Weather I use the 56 or 60 is completely lie dictated. The 60 is lower bounce (9°) and the 56 is high bounce (12°). So the 56 is good for bunkers, fluffy/rough lies and the 60 is good for tight/hard fairway lies.

2 thoughts I have about this topic in general:

1: As a mid/high handicap, I feel like tighter gapping in my wedges simplifies everything. I’ve never liked the Pelz clock method. I hit full shots most of the time, and spend a lot of time chipping with my 56 and 60 to get a good feel for them.

2: Wedge gapping and set makeup is becoming even more crucial with iron lofts getting stronger. My gap wedge at 49° was a pitching wedge not long ago. I see more benefits in having extra wedges than long irons and hybrids. I’m not hitting greens from 200 yards, I’m chipping from short distances a lot. Maybe a sign I need to work on my approach shots, but that’s another topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk