TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is your range practice routine? More like a pro or amateur

tony@CIC

Interesting topic yesterday on Golf.com: https://www.golf.com/instruction/2019/09/11/how-pga-tour-players-practice-amateurs-infograpbic/

On the range I generally warm up with my 7 iron then proceed directly  to the driver, which I hit the most balls with.  However, I don't practice as much with my woods and hybrids which I need to. We also have a practice hole - there I end up hitting my 56* and 60* onto the practice green (generally about 50+ balls) then I put those putt those balls.  

Here's an interesting graphic which was embedded in the article.

ProVsAmateurs_GolfBalls_v1-819x1024 (1).jpg

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

No surprise in the graphic above. Since I'm an amateur I use most clubs in my bag from time to time. The 3-club TV Golf Tour only use a driver, wedge, putter. 

IMO the 3-Club Tour isn't representative of how real golf is played. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

When I actually go to a range it is more pro based on those numbers. I mostly hit wedges with a few mid irons and drivers. The bigger issue is that I am not effective when I practice. Part of that is the limitations that exist for short game practice.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think I'd tend to be somewhere towards the middle. I definitely spend a lot of time with the wedges - usually starting with my 50 and working up and down through the others. I'll also pull the wedges out toward the end of my range session to work on specialty shots and tweener yardages.

I don't always hit my fairway or hybrid, and long irons tend to be limited to the 4 and 6 (the 4-iron is my go-to club for gauging the effectiveness of my swing and ball striking ability). I also tend to not pull 7-iron much, but will often hit several 9 and 8 irons.

I probably hit driver more than I "should", but not considerably so.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I spend the majority of my range time working through my irons as those are the clubs I use on almost every single hole. I rarely will go driver - wedge - putter since I don't have the same distance off the tee as a pro.

The graphic is probably accurate for what a pro practices vs. an amateur at the range, however they are hitting to distances that require more wedge play compared to the average amateur golfer.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I tend to follow the amateur version, with the caveat that I'm spending more time on the clubs giving me trouble than going through the bag...on second thought the entire bag is giving me trouble so I'm hitting everything except the Cleveland RTX 4 wedges..they are on fire so I don't want to mess with them, lol😁

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

No surprise in the graphic above. Since I'm an amateur I use most clubs in my bag from time to time. The 3-club TV Golf Tour only use a driver, wedge, putter. 

If you read the article the chart was for a typical 50 ball warm up and not a practice session - the article’s title was deceptive.

For this reason I’m in solidarity with Plaid - I’m going to warm up by hitting the shots that I will use in the round, just like the pros. They will hit lots and lots of wedges - I could easily not hit a full wedge all day - I will save those guys for the practice green because I’m certainly going to have a variety of chips and pitches from places a pro would never see.

Oh and 20-25 balls work just fine for me - 8-10 minute stretching, 5-9 irons, 5- 7 woods, a few drivers and some simulated shots from the first couple of holes (which could include a full wedge) and the last ball is as close as possible to my first tee shot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Using a 50 ball warm-up session as a guideline,

This is important, I think.  A warm up session can (should?) have a completely different structure from a practice session.  A warm up is intended to get you ready to play.  You want your full swing in order, with some emphasis on the shots you'll hit the most often, as well as the shots that require the most "feel".  That's probably why the pros hit a lot of drivers, and a lot of wedges.  In a practice session, especially if you're working on a swing change, a mid-iron is a reasonable choice, with a smaller number of drivers and "feel shots" (unless you're specifically working on those feel shots).

And of course @revkev just beat me to it.👍

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Ah warm up..yep I do things more towards the pro side of things focusing on more the short game with wedges and putting.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Reading is hard...

Shocking to know, I am different than a pro in how I warm-up since I don't get paid to golf.

For a warm up session, I will typically only hit 25-30 balls if I get the chance.

5 - 56* (trying for 50yds)
5 - 9i (trying for 145yds)
5 - 7i (trying for 165yds)
2 - 5i (trying for 185 yds)
3 - Driver (trying for 250yds)
5 - 52* (trying for 70-80yds)

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

52 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is important, I think.  A warm up session can (should?) have a completely different structure from a practice session.

That's a great point @DaveP043. I never thought of it in those terms  - but I'll bet many of us do it that way even though we don't think of it in different terms. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am probably not a lot different in warmup than what I described as range. Hit wedges to warm up, the a few mid irons, a few drivers and finish with a driver,
Mid iron, and wedge.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Ah warm up..yep I do things more towards the pro side of things focusing on more the short game with wedges and putting.

MDGolfHacker

This was about their full game warm up - they spend about 45 minutes there and another 45 around the practice green.

It’s interesting that one of our pro shop guys played on tour in the 60’s and 70’s. He told me that when he started very few courses had ranges. Most of the guys came, got their clubs out of the trunk, put their shoes on, went to the practice green, dropped 3 balls, hit done putts and walked to the first tee. He said Ben Hogan was known for finding a range in the area and going there to hit balls before the round.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

It’s interesting that one of our pro shop guys played on tour in the 60’s and 70’s. He told me that when he started very few courses had ranges. Most of the guys came, got their clubs out of the trunk, put their shoes on, went to the practice green, dropped 3 balls, hit done putts and walked to the first tee. He said Ben Hogan was known for finding a range in the area and going there to hit balls before the round.

When I've traveled to Scotland and Ireland, I'd guess that no more than about half of the courses had a practice area where you could hit their golf balls to warm up.  A few had a range on which you were welcome to hit (and retrieve if you chose) your own balls, and a few had nothing more than a driving net.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

When I've traveled to Scotland and Ireland, I'd guess that no more than about half of the courses had a practice area where you could hit their golf balls to warm up.  A few had a range on which you were welcome to hit (and retrieve if you chose) your own balls, and a few had nothing more than a driving net.  

Which is why so many older courses over here start with a Par 3, then 1 or 2 short par 4's to "enable players to warm up" before the longer holes. Interesting fact I thought I'd throw in there.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

6 hours ago, revkev said:

This was about their full game warm up - they spend about 45 minutes there and another 45 around the practice green.

Ah gotcha 👍🏼

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Amatuer for me.  But then I'm a bump n' run short game player, so what I don't hit in wedges I typically make up in mid and long irons.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Another difference between pros and ams is the time spent on the warmup.  Rev said 45 minutes for 50 balls; that's about right from what i've seen.  Most ams hit those 50 balls in 10-15 minutes.  

My warmup consists of stretching and swinging the Skilz Gold Flex, right and left-handed.  When I actually spend time hitting balls for a warmup, I will hit maybe 25 balls using partial wedge shots to the pitching green.  They are range balls, so not working on how the ball reacts on the green; just honing contact.  I may hit 6 full 9i and 6 drivers, but that's optional for me.  I will chip and putt for 15 minutes.  So, I am certainly and Am.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

21 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I didn't even consider this when I was looking at the graphic. Great point. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Another difference between pros and ams is the time spent on the warmup.  Rev said 45 minutes for 50 balls; that's about right from what i've seen.  Most ams hit those 50 balls in 10-15 minutes.  
My warmup consists of stretching and swinging the Skilz Gold Flex, right and left-handed.  When I actually spend time hitting balls for a warmup, I will hit maybe 25 balls using partial wedge shots to the pitching green.  They are range balls, so not working on how the ball reacts on the green; just honing contact.  I may hit 6 full 9i and 6 drivers, but that's optional for me.  I will chip and putt for 15 minutes.  So, I am certainly and Am.

That’s a very good warm up IMO - for those of us who are a bit longer in the tooth it’s easier on the body.

And fully agreed about the amount of time to hit shots -

Having written this we’ve gotten away from a point that I’d like to make which is the opposite of what the author suggests.

Our pre round warm up should be different from a touring pros. The game we play is different. For the most part our conditioning is different so the tho gs that we are capable of doing without the ramp so of getting hurt varies also.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My typical warm up is as follows:

Stretch and do a series of warm up, balance and tempo exercises/warm up drills.  

5 balls with a 9 iron.  Chip, short pitch, long pitch, full shot, 3/4 shot.  I then do the same with my SW and 4 iron.  (Clubs may vary a bit, for example, 8 iron, gap wedge and 6 iron.) 

I then hit 4 drives.  Normally 100 yards, 150, full swing and 3/4 swing.  

I will end with hitting a few shots mimicking playing a hole or two on the course.  For example, drive, 8 iron, pitch and chip.  

I then head to the practice green to get a feel for green speed.  

My main focus on the range for the warm up is to get a feel for the clubs, checking alignment and balance, and getting mentally focused on hitting to the target.  For me, it's as much getting the mind ready (quit thinking about the office, etc.) as it is warming up physically.   

Practice - what is practice? Putt on practice green with gate made with tees to check face and path. Otherwise drop balls around the green when playing by myself and hit wedges and shots around the green. Only go to range when I get a new club.