What is your range practice routine? More like a pro or amateur

tony@CIC

Another difference between pros and ams is the time spent on the warmup.  Rev said 45 minutes for 50 balls; that's about right from what i've seen.  Most ams hit those 50 balls in 10-15 minutes.  
My warmup consists of stretching and swinging the Skilz Gold Flex, right and left-handed.  When I actually spend time hitting balls for a warmup, I will hit maybe 25 balls using partial wedge shots to the pitching green.  They are range balls, so not working on how the ball reacts on the green; just honing contact.  I may hit 6 full 9i and 6 drivers, but that's optional for me.  I will chip and putt for 15 minutes.  So, I am certainly and Am.

That’s a very good warm up IMO - for those of us who are a bit longer in the tooth it’s easier on the body.

And fully agreed about the amount of time to hit shots -

Having written this we’ve gotten away from a point that I’d like to make which is the opposite of what the author suggests.

Our pre round warm up should be different from a touring pros. The game we play is different. For the most part our conditioning is different so the tho gs that we are capable of doing without the ramp so of getting hurt varies also.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

My typical warm up is as follows:

Stretch and do a series of warm up, balance and tempo exercises/warm up drills.  

5 balls with a 9 iron.  Chip, short pitch, long pitch, full shot, 3/4 shot.  I then do the same with my SW and 4 iron.  (Clubs may vary a bit, for example, 8 iron, gap wedge and 6 iron.) 

I then hit 4 drives.  Normally 100 yards, 150, full swing and 3/4 swing.  

I will end with hitting a few shots mimicking playing a hole or two on the course.  For example, drive, 8 iron, pitch and chip.  

I then head to the practice green to get a feel for green speed.  

My main focus on the range for the warm up is to get a feel for the clubs, checking alignment and balance, and getting mentally focused on hitting to the target.  For me, it's as much getting the mind ready (quit thinking about the office, etc.) as it is warming up physically.   

• Like 1

Practice - what is practice? Putt on practice green with gate made with tees to check face and path. Otherwise drop balls around the green when playing by myself and hit wedges and shots around the green. Only go to range when I get a new club.