TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tommy Armour Impact Series #3 Mallet Putter – 2019

FromRightToLeft

Hello all! Thought I would chime in on this putter since I've owned it for a few months now.

I had been using a Ping Ketch mallet putter since the beginning of the year. (I am relearning the game left handed this year due to a back issue and decided to do so with the putter as well) I had been putting fairly well with it but found it a bit hard to line up and I didn't love it, like all putters I have owned. I saw the testing and reviews on this putter and decided to buy it online sight unseen.

I tend to like a longer putter and got it in the 35” model.

(Aside: A member of the forum let me know that it could be bought here in Canada on golfworks.ca as we don't have Dick's here, so thank you whoever you were. It was $130 Canadian. It arrived super well packed, maybe better than any other golf club I've ever gotten in the mail. There were two small scratches on the putter shaft. I decided to email golfworks and see what they had to say about it. The service was incredible and the best I've ever had online. They got back to me within an hour with an apology and said they would ship out a new one that day and they had a shipping label for me to return mine with. For me the scratch's weren't a big deal and I offered them to refund me $15-20 and I'd keep it. They did me even better and gave me their cost on it and refunded the difference! Unreal service. I will buy all my grips etc. from them going forward.)

Ok, back to the review!

The putter fit my eye immediately. I have only ever had one other golf club where I just knew I was going to hit it well and that I'd love it at first sight. It was a Cobra knockoff driver I won in the 90's in a closest to the pin contest. This putter was the same way. I just knew I was going to love it and play well with it. I have played ten rounds so far and only six three putts. My first round with it I swooped and won three skins with a twenty foot putt and did it again later in the round with a thirty five foot putt for three more skins (The guys weren't mocking me anymore for having a Tommy Armour putter after that haha)! I do not normally sink many long putts. My longest previous this year wouldn't have been any longer than fifteen feet.

It is really well balanced, the pistol grip is actually very comfortable (I may replace it with something different down the road, we'll see) and I think it looks good. The head cover I can't say the same for, it's pretty ugly and doesn't fit on that well. That's a fairly minor issue, especially considering the price and performance of this putter. 

On long putts I can easily line it up and it's no different on the short ones. The feel is just right for me, not too firm and not too soft, so they got the insert just right.  I just have so much confidence with this thing that I can't say enough about it. I would have paid five times as much if I knew it was going to make this kind of difference in my game. My putting stats show that I've dropped almost four strokes off my rounds. I was averaging thirty six PPR and now it's down to thirty two I took no lessons and used no training aids. It was all the putter. If someone would have told me a putter would shave three to four strokes off my game I would have laughed at you! 

Bottom line is I love this putter. What a value the guys at Dicks have come up with....they made a world class putter for the $100 range. Thank you MY GOLF SPY, without this site I would never have given this a chance. You saved me spending $400+ on an Evenroll, so thank you guys for that.

Looks – 7/10

Feel – 9/10

Alignment – 10/10

Value – 11/10

Overall – 9/10 – I highly, highly recommend this putter.

20190912_200519.jpg

20190912_200644.jpg

20190912_200608.jpg

20190912_200536.jpg

20190912_200416.jpg

20190912_204644.jpg

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

Hello all! Thought I would chime in on this putter since I've owned it for a few months now.

I had been using a Ping Ketch mallet putter since the beginning of the year. (I am relearning the game left handed this year due to a back issue and decided to do so with the putter as well) I had been putting fairly well with it but found it a bit hard to line up and I didn't love it, like all putters I have owned. I saw the testing and reviews on this putter and decided to buy it online sight unseen.

(Aside: A member of the forum let me know that it could be bought here in Canada on golfworks.ca as we don't have Dick's here, so thank you whoever you were. It was $130 Canadian. It arrived super well packed, maybe better than any other golf club I've ever gotten in the mail. There were two small scratches on the putter shaft. I decided to email golfworks and see what they had to say about it. The service was incredible and the best I've ever had online. They got back to me within an hour with an apology and said they would ship out a new one that day and they had a shipping label for me to return mine with. For me the scratch's weren't a big deal and I offered them to refund me $15-20 and I'd keep it. They did me even better and gave me their cost on it and refunded the difference! Unreal service. I will buy all my grips etc. from them going forward.)

Ok, back to the review!

The putter fit my eye immediately. I have only ever had one other golf club where I just knew I was going to hit it well and that I'd love it at first sight. It was a Cobra knockoff driver I won in the 90's in a closest to the pin contest. This putter was the same way. I just knew I was going to love it and play well with it. I have played ten rounds so far and only six three putts. My first round with it I swooped and won three skins with a twenty foot putt and did it again later in the round with a thirty five foot putt for three more skins (The guys weren't mocking me anymore for having a Tommy Armour putter after that haha)! I do not normally sink many long putts. My longest previous this year wouldn't have been any longer than fifteen feet.

It is really well balanced, the pistol grip is actually very comfortable (I may replace it with something different down the road, we'll see) and I think it looks good. The head cover I can't say the same for, it's pretty ugly and doesn't fit on that well. That's a fairly minor issue, especially considering the price and performance of this putter. 
On long putts I can easily line it up and it's no different on the short ones. The feel is just right for me, not too firm and not too soft, so they got the insert just right.  I just have so much confidence with this thing that I can't say enough about it. I would have paid five times as much if I knew it was going to make this kind of difference in my game. My putting stats show that I've dropped almost four strokes off my rounds. I was averaging thirty six PPR and now it's down to thirty two I took no lessons and used no training aids. It was all the putter. If someone would have told me a putter would shave three to four strokes off my game I would have laughed at you! 

Bottom line is I love this putter. What a value the guys at Dicks have come up with....they made a world class putter for the $100 range. Thank you MY GOLF SPY, without this site I would never have given this a chance. You saved me spending $400+ on an Evenroll, so thank you guys for that.

Looks – 7/10
Feel – 9/10
Alignment – 10/10
Value – 11/10

20190912_200519.thumb.jpg.b3a5241664203317816f92d3ed1e4775.jpg

20190912_200644.thumb.jpg.48efea5dc2fe7a00167be006901cdc87.jpg
20190912_200608.thumb.jpg.4cc940ae4cdeeeb432793991351b281c.jpg
20190912_200536.thumb.jpg.f709c04617c93b3a41c36c8a174daa35.jpg
20190912_200416.thumb.jpg.0be41e5ca0bb2bda75d01405593758a3.jpg
20190912_204644.thumb.jpg.8015499c49b7be33bf358c31fc193e67.jpg

Great review!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

10 hours ago, ole gray said:

Great review! emoji1319.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks man!

Ok, back to the review!

Looks – 7/10
Feel – 9/10
Alignment – 10/10
Value – 11/10

20190912_200519.thumb.jpg.b3a5241664203317816f92d3ed1e4775.jpg

20190912_200644.thumb.jpg.48efea5dc2fe7a00167be006901cdc87.jpg
20190912_200608.thumb.jpg.4cc940ae4cdeeeb432793991351b281c.jpg
20190912_200536.thumb.jpg.f709c04617c93b3a41c36c8a174daa35.jpg
20190912_200416.thumb.jpg.0be41e5ca0bb2bda75d01405593758a3.jpg
20190912_204644.thumb.jpg.8015499c49b7be33bf358c31fc193e67.jpg

Nice review! Sorry they put the clubhead on backwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Nice review! Sorry they put the clubhead on backwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And it's still easy to hit!

Sweet review......I have had my TA 3 since May. Absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've always been a blade putter guy. I finally decided to give a mallet a try and after your reccommendation (MyGolf Spy's most wanted) I bought the Tommy Armour impact 3. Wow I'm sinking the 7 to 8 footers I've been missing. For me it still has a lot of the look of a blade that suits my eye and it has replaced my T.P.Mills4 40+ year old putter. Thanks for being the golfer's friend with your reviews. Nobody does it better.

Full set of Ping G430 clubs, Tommy Armour Impact 3 putter average 29 putts per round.