TeddyBaseb@ll

Kirkland 4 Piece Ball

I just received an email from Costco offering the Kirkland 4 Piece Ball ($29.99 for two dozen).

Was this offering expected?

Is this a new ball or the old stock they had in reserve from when they turned the industry upside down?

Have you had a chance to test this ball?

Shows it on the Costco main website too.

This could be interesting!

Edit: Ordered 2 dozen. Time to test.

saw this too! For the money its a good ball when compared to other balls in its price range

Interesting.  The box says Made in China.  The original KSig 4-piece ball was made in Korea.  

Costco has been selling a 3-piece urethane ball made in China, so maybe they got some 4-piece overruns from the same factory.  I liked the original Korean ball, but the China ball... not so much.  However, 2 dozen for $30 is a great price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Interesting.  The box says Made in China.  The original KSig 4-piece ball was made in Korea.  

Costco has been selling a 3-piece urethane ball made in China, so maybe they got some 4-piece overruns from the same factory.  I liked the original Korean ball, but the China ball... not so much.  However, 2 dozen for $30 is a great price.

... I hear ya Kenny, the 3 piece ball made in China is an excellent ball for those that need more spin. Works great for the Mrs but way too much spin for me. I ordered 4 dozen of the 4 piece because ya never know if these Signature One's are an improvement over the Tour Performance, equal in performance or not as good as the "original". Worst case scenario is at $75 including tax and shipping, they are a good practice ball or make a great gift. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CouveGolfer said:

Ordered and will report back. Fingers crossed they're similar to the originals...

Considering the original ones aren’t on the confirming list I would put the chances at. It that similar 

I've still got a few dozen of the original K-Sigs. Loved them. I don't recall that they are non-conforming.

... And like Keyser Soze - they're gone. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I've still got a few dozen of the original K-Sigs. Loved them. I don't recall that they are non-conforming.

The originals have been removed from the USGAs conforming ball list. Because of that they are technically not approved for play in a USGA event thus "non-conforming"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

The originals have been removed from the USGAs conforming ball list. Because of that they are technically not approved for play in a USGA event thus "non-conforming"

How does a ball that was on the conforming list get removed from the list and now non-conforming??  What changed?

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

How does a ball that was on the conforming list get removed from the list and now non-conforming??  What changed?

Submissions expire after 12 months on the list. After that, OEMs must resubmit  for the ball to be used for competitions enforcing the one ball rule. 

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/equipment-standards/2019-usga-golf-ball-submission-guidelines.pdf

• Like 3

Same question here.

I could get more interested in this ball IF I knew that I could continue to buy the same ball when I need new ones and that it's going to perform as well as the last batch I bought.  Until then, I'll keep playing a more reliable (as in availability) ball.

14 hours ago, storm319 said:

Submissions expire after 12 months on the list. After that, OEMs must resubmit  for the ball to be used for competitions enforcing the one ball rule. 

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/equipment-standards/2019-usga-golf-ball-submission-guidelines.pdf

I see that in your reference, but it still doesn't answer the question about why the ball is now non-conforming... it's just not on the current list.  

So, when a ball is conforming and on the list, the packaging can state that the ball "Conforms with the Rules of Golf", but after a year that ball is no longer conforming??  That makes no sense.

• Like 1

Conforming or not I had a dozen of the Korean made Kirkland's left in the closet..the covers cracked (I know it was over 100 degrees) was amazed I never had that problem with them before.. guess they did not age well....anyway I see the new 4 piece is a different ball made in China...I would bet it is very close to or exactly like other on line ball companies are selling.  Safe to say it is NOT the Taylormade  type ball the original Kirkland 4 piece was.   Will see I got my order in before they ran out again...It is a wonder with a 2 24 pack limit they ran out so fast....Ebay sellers seem to have endless supply selling them already....

• Like 1

I see that in your reference, but it still doesn't answer the question about why the ball is now non-conforming... it's just not on the current list.  

So, when a ball is conforming and on the list, the packaging can state that the ball "Conforms with the Rules of Golf", but after a year that ball is no longer conforming??  That makes no sense.

Kenny----- Does anything involving the USGA make any sense?    Ya know old buddy just saying

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Considering the first ball wasn’t produced for long due to the lawsuit and also supply it would be hard to resubmit it for approval. 

While the usga or r&a decisions don’t always make sense the conforming list is pretty easy and straightforward. It’s either on there and approved for play or it’s not and if one was competing or scoring for their hdcp they couldn’t use the product...unless there was some form of e emotion either from the governing bodies or the tournament