TESTERS WANTED! ×

Kirkland 4 Piece Ball

Mine arrived yesterday, using EXTREMELY scientific methods. I compared the bounce of the new ball to the last gen 3 piece ball at eye level and it bounces about 1/4 of the ball higher than the last gen. 

Hardness level is about the same I couldn't feel the difference in putting and just bouncing the ball on an iron.

on a 50 degree wedge bouncing on my tile floor and the spin back is slightly further than the gen 3

but again, I reiterate how scientific this simple experience is so your result may vary 🤣

... Like many things in the world of golf, everyone can have a different experience. I played the KS4 today and was very happy with the performance and durability. First KS ball (pictured below) had a little wedge cutting after an extremely aggressive wedge shot that resulted in a tap in birdie. I honestly didn't even notice until the next hole when I was cleaning it. I could have continued to use it but replaced it on the 6th tee. To be fair, I have had similar cover cutting with Maxfli Tour X's. The 2nd KS4 was visually unblemished after 18 holes and I hit a tree pretty square on #14 and after cleaning it off on the green there was zero visible damage. Now, this is only a 2 ball sample and only one round of golf but so far so good. 

... As far as performance, it was a pretty calm day so I don't know how the wind effects its flight but distance and spin was comparable to Z Stars. Z Stars and my gamers, the TP5x are extremely consistent so time will tell if these KS4's all perform similar and are equally durable. I'll post more results after playing more of them a couple weeks but at $29.99 for 2 dozen they are just about what I was expecting.  

KS4.jpg.b1ff8eb246dde9335b6b7ab6b5ea3ec0.jpg 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

MGS sharing these pics is interesting:

I really would like to hear where these pics came from. I have done my absolute best to abuse the couple of KSig's I am testing, and have come up with NOTHING even close to these pics!

Attached is the pic I shared on Facebook when MGS originally posted about durability concerns. ( I commented that only full wedge swings would cut the cover)

70439603_2452222574847542_3937057741259931648_n.jpg

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

9 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

I really would like to hear where these pics came from. I have done my absolute best to abuse the couple of KSig's I am testing, and have come up with NOTHING even close to these pics!

Attached is the pic I shared on Facebook when MGS originally posted about durability concerns. ( I commented that only full wedge swings would cut the cover)

They came from posts on social media. The finditcutit movement has people posting more pics with issues and the hype around Kirkland has been there since the first ball came out. Now they are in version 3 of the ball and as we are seeing from mgs testing and user testing the quality isn’t there

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

these balls are great for the high handicap golfer who doesnt care what ball they play. Decent ball at a great price. Quality issues will plague it though. Sounds like the cover is tearing without even hitting trees or the path

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They came from posts on social media. The finditcutit movement has people posting more pics with issues and the hype around Kirkland has been there since the first ball came out. Now they are in version 3 of the ball and as we are seeing from mgs testing and user testing the quality isn’t there

... I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. From what I have read, there is a problem with the cover adhering to the mantle, which can cause tearing. But this seems to be more of an isolated problem and we have already read where many including myself, did not have a problem with the new KS4. I have only played 2 balls and my next may tear like photo's we have seen. But even if it does, paying $14.99 a dozen I have no complaints with this initial offering and knowing Costco, they will get it fixed with the next batch. 

... As I posted before, I played with a mini tour winner in Orlando that played the original KS 4 piece and he loved it, but found one in his dozen that performed differently than the rest. As someone making his living playing golf, he could not take a chance on one ball behaving differently and possibly derailing his round. Now the difference was just in spin numbers, not in quality so a high/mid index player may not even notice that spin difference and again, at $14.99 I think most can put up with one ball out of 12 not measuring up in spin to the others. 

... So even though most of us understand you get what you pay for and do not expect a $14.99 a dozen ball to compare to a $45 premium ball, being close to their performance is all we are expecting. And of course the fact that Costco will take them back without any questions should make it a no brainer for bargain hunters. I never planned on using my Kirklands for serious competition but as someone that plays over 250 rounds a year, having a ball like the KS4 to play in casual rounds even if a few prove to be faulty, I can live with that. As always ymmv ...

29 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

THe upper right photo is mine and thats actually the 2nd ball in the sleeve.  The first ball I hit my first iron shot a little thin (that's my usual miss) and got up to the green, cleaned my ball off and there was a cut on it..Not all the way through, but a black line across it.  I was using a Srxion z585 PW.  So I switched the ball out 2 holes later.  Keep in mind I've never cut a ball before from slightly thinning a shot.  The ball in the pic is after I smoked a tree.  Again, I have neve had a brand new ball cut wide open after hitting a tree.  A scuff or some road rash is what I expected to see, not the cover torn up.  It was actually curled up under itself when I picked it up.  IT seems like the underside of the cover is slippery and it doesn't stick to the 2nd layer very well.  I loved the OG 4 piece and have a box of the 3 piece (that I use in early spring), so I am a huge fan of the kirkland golf products (i also use the gloves, not in the pic because it was hot and humid yesterday).  I am actually shocked by the cover, I have played all the top balls this season, and have never once had a ball cut and the cover fold up under itself.  Performance wise the ball is legit.  Great spin off my wedges, and long off the driver. So it sucks that the cover has quality control issues.

... Quick update. I played 2 new KS4's today rotating them every other hole so 9 each. After 18 they both look basically new without a mark on them. They were hit out of bunkers and both took some aggressive wedge shots. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Quick update. I played 2 new KS4's today rotating them every other hole so 9 each. After 18 they both look basically new without a mark on them. They were hit out of bunkers and both took some aggressive wedge shots. 

Was wondering what your take on them would be since we tend to think alike. I am at the price considering using them in vintage play

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I’ve continued my “testing” and still haven’t caused any more damage than I posted in my previous shot.

The damage shown in the Instagram post seems pretty extreme. I’d like to know if it happens to more than a handful of people (seeing how Costco sold out, there’s plenty out there)

Edit: to reiterate what has been said: I think people need to stop comparing this to a ProV1, as it’s a $15/dozen ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

10 hours ago, KurtActual said:

Edit: to reiterate what has been said: I think people need to stop comparing this to a ProV1, as it’s a $15/dozen ball.

People are comparing it to the ProV1 because the original KSig equaled the performance at that price. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

52 minutes ago, cnosil said:

People are comparing it to the ProV1 because the original KSig equaled the performance at that price. 

And many are blind to the fact the ball has changed twice since then 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just played the new ball this morning, I didn't think I'd ever see the seam rip like the other ones on MGS since my driver swing isn't that fast (97mph), and I didn't even take any wedge shots. Literally a drive, a 7 iron and when I picked it up on the green this showed up

https://imgur.com/G6HORcQ

I will be returning the pack to costco. Very disappointing.

Edited by Sen

Played them Saturday and Sunday with no issues, no cuts.  A couple scuffs but nothing different than any other ball.  Maybe it's not quite as long off the driver but I thought the ball felt very good overall, especially with the scoring clubs.  Feels similar in many ways to a ProV1 but I also very similar to MTB Red.  Maybe the compression is somewhere in the middle of the two.  I thought it stopped faster than my ProV1's.  I was surprised by the stopping power given the wet conditions.  For $15/dozen I think I'd be crazy to play anything else.  

Just got this email from Costco...

Our records show that you recently purchased the Kirkland Signature 4-piece Golf Balls (Item #1250052). Feedback we received since the item went on sale shows that some of the balls do not meet the high standards that are expected for the Kirkland Signature brand. Therefore, Costco is refunding your credit card for your purchase and the shipping costs (two separate credits). There is no need to return the item.

As with any Kirkland Signature item, if ever you are not completely satisfied with the product, your money will be refunded.

Please accept our apologies, and thank you for your continued support.

Tim Farmer
VP/GMM Merchandising
Costco Wholesale

21 minutes ago, CouveGolfer said:

Just got this email from Costco...

Our records show that you recently purchased the Kirkland Signature 4-piece Golf Balls (Item #1250052). Feedback we received since the item went on sale shows that some of the balls do not meet the high standards that are expected for the Kirkland Signature brand. Therefore, Costco is refunding your credit card for your purchase and the shipping costs (two separate credits). There is no need to return the item.

As with any Kirkland Signature item, if ever you are not completely satisfied with the product, your money will be refunded.

Please accept our apologies, and thank you for your continued support.

Tim Farmer
VP/GMM Merchandising
Costco Wholesale

Gotta love Costco for standing behind their brand... Kirkland has always meant top quality, and they are making sure that is the same for their golf balls! 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Interesting note: Yesterday I received email from Costco saying they will be refunding me for the 4 dozen golf balls I purchased. Seems lots of folks complained about quality so Costco refunded my total purchase to include shipping. Yes this was on the new 4 piece ball, Thanks for the 4 dozen golf balls that play awesome.

15 hours ago, Webz59 said:

Totally different ball. Refunds are due to the ball cutting excessively. Stay away

What?

@10shot is talking about the newly released, and quickly refunded ball.

Many of us got balls that had little to no issues. I'll certainly be playing my 2 dozen, if a few groove cuts are all I have to worry about, then I am happy.

13 minutes ago, Webz59 said:

IMG_2303.JPG

Perhaps there was some miscommunication.

My comment was that some of us have balls that do not display the same quality issues as others. I've put hundreds of shots on the same 3 KSigs that I have been testing since delivery on Sept 18th, and the worst damage any of them show is a few scratches from my hardest wedge shots.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:33 PM, Sen said:

IMG_20190922_072532.jpg

OMG!!! That is nasty

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, Webz59 said:

IMG_2303.JPG

Man that is even nastier--- I am no gorilla any more at my age but I bet if I missed one of my butter knife Macgregor 1 irons I could darn near cut that thing in 2. Back in my younger days I missed a Slazenger Balata with a 1 iron and darn near cut it in 2. This was a cold hit in the equator with the bottom of the blade shot. It went out about 100 yards about maybe 5 foot off the ground with a funky twist and fell stone cold dead. Had green mess oozing out of it. And trust me even though I can still hit a 1 and 2 iron I can also miss with the best of them. Bladed a Snell  MTB a couple of weeks ago with a Mac 1 iron and dented the cover some. But I am going to defend Snell on that one. I had played maybe 72 holes with that ball and it was in the shag bag so the poor thing was beat to death anyhow

G

• 2 weeks later...

I finally cut my first test ball. I’ve been using it in my garage bay “range”. It’s been cycled approximately 400-500 times by clubs ranging from my 60* to my 3i utility club. The ball had some slight cuts from wedge shots early on, but on Monday I finally penetrated the urethane layer.

... Update: While I still haven't experienced and cover splitting having played 2 dozen now, I have found that many of these KS Golds scuff and abrade a little more the other premium balls. At the $15 a dozen price it is something I can live with using it for practice rounds or some casual play. And of course being free makes it an even better practice ball. 

... Performance is a different story. For me the TP5x is about 5-7 yds longer with woods and long irons and maybe a few even longer than that off the tee with my driver. Also a little shorter with mid and short irons. Trajectory is lower as well. And while they do not balloon, they spin more into the wind which can also be a problem. Otoh, green side spin is a little better than the TP5x. Clearly I am a player that benefits from the TP5x higher lunch and lower spin while those that can benefit from a little more spin could find the opposite. All in all still a very good ball, especially if the spin and trajectory suit your style of play. Of course higher index players that may not be consistent with ball striking and trajectory may find the KS Gold to be a perfect choice at $15 a dozen for a premium urethane covered ball on your journey to getting better. 

On 9/26/2019 at 10:10 AM, KurtActual said:

Perhaps there was some miscommunication.

My comment was that some of us have balls that do not display the same quality issues as others. I've put hundreds of shots on the same 3 KSigs that I have been testing since delivery on Sept 18th, and the worst damage any of them show is a few scratches from my hardest wedge shots.

Certainly the difference in what users are experiencing could be production lot related, but I wonder also how certain club design (grooves, sole leading edge, etc.) combined with high swing speeds might be playing into this?  Do you suppose the ball mfg.'s test how their product performs when hit in the centerline with a high lofted wedge by players with swing speeds in the far right side of the bell curve?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)