TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Championship

TR1PTIK

Just wanted to share scores from my club championship. Today was round 1 of 2 and I shot an even 80. I scrambled my butt off on the front 9 and tapered off a bit on the back. I really could have/should have shot 78-79. I had a kick-in par putt on 11 that I pushed just a hair and then a 12-footer for birdie on 17 that went around the whole cup and lipped out (that one really hurt).

Here's a full break down of my stats:

1682532284_CMGARnd1.thumb.jpg.3a9f037277046def1617182fe88a14e4.jpg

Fairways and Greens are potentially a little bit misleading because in many cases I was only a yard or two off. Also, I did go OB left on #4 which is why I shot +2 for that hole.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Good start.  Go get 'em tomorrow!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Well unfortunately, I wasn't able to back up my round 1 score... I was just a little off, but off enough through the front 9. The back 9 was much better though. I still had an untimely penalty on #13, but was able to at least make bogey there. Pin positions today were absolutely ridiculous. At least six holes were cut into some pretty severe slopes and all but eight were located in positions I've never seen before in all the years I've played this course - the only comforting fact was that everyone had to play the same holes.

Here's the stats:

670543218_CMGARnd2.thumb.jpg.66977308abb4ccc2614a51b8bd6d7cd3.jpg

You can see that my short game and putting were off on the front, but scrambling improved significantly on the back. I went OB on #4 again which is extremely mind-boggling to me; found the hazard on #13. Best hole of the day is a toss between #11 and #16.

#11 honestly didn't really feel like a great hole based on ball striking. I found the left side of the fairway off the heel of my driver leaving 196 yards in. I pulled 4-iron and hit a weird, toe-y, knuckle-ball that bounded it's way onto the green. I pushed my birdie putt, but had the right pace and then tapped in for my par. Thanks to the fact that #11 is the most difficult hole on the course (OB left and hazard right), my par was good enough to earn me a $5 skin!

#16 felt like a much better hole, and other than missing my approach on the "wrong side" of the pin, I played it pretty close to perfection. It's a short par 4 and I played 3-Wood through the fairway. With 71 yards in to an elevated green, I hit a nice wedge hole high inside of 10-feet. The problem was that the hole was cut into the slope and if I so much as went just a couple inches beyond the hole, the ball would roll to the bottom of said slope another 10-feet away. I opted to make sure I just tried to die it to the hole and accepted par as a great score.

A couple of additional notes about the tournament:

• I managed to snag CTP on #17 in round 1 which earned me a free FJ polo! 😄 
  • I scored my way into A Flight which is the first time that's ever happened (flights were Champ, A, & B).
  • Finally, my scores for the weekend were good enough to drop my unofficial handicap just a hair to 10.4 (edited HCP because I forgot ESC for the +5 on #4).

Lot's of positives from the weekend, but I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity to ride the wave much further with the impending move to Dallas...

Edited by TR1PTIK

I'm sure it was fun and it seems you did alright. I'll play in ours at Bushwood on the 28th & 29th. Just two days if you want to play Sr. only. And that's all I care to do really.

I don't get why sometimes club championships try and make them so hard. Stupid pin placements - extra thick rough, etc. I've seen it many times. The committee or whoever should just setup the course like any other day IMO. For most amateurs a round of golf is challenging enough already. Just let a guy go out and compete and try to play their best without imposing a beat-down on everyone. It ain't the US Open for Pete's sake. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

In our case, it's simply because our Super left early in the season and one of the guys that's helped fill in since has a thing for weird pin placements. He did the same exact thing for our season opener.

The rough was troublesome too, but that has much more to do with the abnormal weather we've had this year - it was cut to the same length it always is. Normally, the rough would be baked out by now, but with cooler temps and a ton of rain it's maintained a healthy growth rate. Personally though, I don't mind thick rough and tend to not have any issues with it other than locating my ball. I maybe had one or two shots from the rough all weekend where the grass caused the club face to shut down and (surprisingly) zero flyers.

Hope you have a good time in your championship later this month!

Another quick update for this thread:

Even though the championship itself is over, there were a couple of additional tournaments to which this one served as a qualifier. The first is the club's individual match play championship and the second is a Ryder Cup-style team match play event against a neighboring club.

While I know I did not qualify for the team event (I still could receive a captain's pick though), I was happily surprised to receive an email regarding my round 1 bracket in the individual tournament!!! I have until the 30th to schedule my match.

Unfortunately, expectations aren't too high. The guy I'm playing posted rounds of 71 & 74 in the stroke play event. Meanwhile, my round 1 80 is the best I've done all season... Oh well, it will be fun regardless and my opponent is a nice guy with a good game I can very likely learn from.